• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of the Abyss
  3. Is the battle system so boring to the end of the game?

User Info: Newneko2000

Newneko2000
2 months ago#1
So I started playing tales of games. I started with Tales of Legendia, which I know is one of the worst Tales of games. I managed to play for 10 hours before deciding to try different Tales of game. Dungeons were boring and battle system repetitive.
The next game I tried was Tales of the Abyss. This time story and characters were much more interesting, I did enjoy cut scenes a lot. Unfortunately battle system was as boring as in Tales of Legendia. I was surprised, because people say that this is fantastic rpg. I couldn't stand mashing attack button all the time. Special attack is just a little stronger, but slower, so there was no point in using it. Also these annoying color marks, which give you extra powerful attack if you stay in the right place, the worst idea ever.
Are all tales of games like this? I don't want to waste money and time if all I can get is the same boring battle system.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
2 months ago#2
I dunno about all, but of the ones I've played (Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss), yeah pretty much. Kind of ironic for an ARPG to be more boring than a TBRPG, but the Tales games really are.

FWIW, Abyss is the biggest offender of the three for sure. Symphonia had sorta the same problem, except the special moves are at least fun to do, even if there's not much of a point. Phantasia had kinda the opposite problem, where at times you have to spam your best special move to avoid getting your ass kicked.

But in spite of it, Abyss was still the most enjoyable of the three. Symphonia was generic af pretty much from start to finish, and Phantasia had this one damn dungeon like a third to halfway througn that took me months to get through because for whatever reason they decided to both raise your expected level by like 30 and make it like 30 floors deep (not even counting the optional revisit).
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: Zero_Maniac

Zero_Maniac
1 month ago#3
The battle system is easily the worst part of the Tales of games, and TotA is no exception. The weird pseudo-3D battles caused me to drop this game years ago, and I've only recently picked it back up. I've no idea why Namco sticks to this style of combat so obstinately.
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

User Info: teflon

teflon
1 month ago#4
The game opens up a bit once you learn how to work with the Field of Fonons system it wants you to use and you learn artes that aren't the barebones basic artes you start with. Trying to sling spells as your primary offensive is pretty boring no matter how far you are into the game, so melee and use artes whenever you can.

If you don't like it though, then don't play it. Nobody is forcing you to go through parts you don't like to get to content you may like.
"Japanman is a nice name."-PsykopijonSnowball3
Secret Board Hunter

User Info: Newneko2000

Newneko2000
1 month ago#5
I decided to sell them. I always give a game chance by playing it for few hours. Now I know that Tales of games are not for me.
There are better games with this kind of battle system, Star Ocean 1 and 2 for psp and Devil Summoner 1 and 2 for ps2.

User Info: teflon

teflon
1 month ago#6
It's all good. If you don't like it, then you don't like it.
"Japanman is a nice name."-PsykopijonSnowball3
Secret Board Hunter
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of the Abyss
  3. Is the battle system so boring to the end of the game?
  • Post New Message