• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Rogue Galaxy
  3. Questions about the story (spoilers)

User Info: MattJN

MattJN
1 month ago#1
Having played the two Dark Cloud games before this one, I'm amazed how strong the story is. In Chapter 9 I can't wait to see what happens next. However, the ending part of the story is very muddy IMO and I'm confused about many points.

1. How did Kisala travel through 10000 years from the past to the present. The robot that brought her was sealed within the labyrinth so it arrived in the past. How did Kisala get to the present time?
  2. What does the fading of Kisala in some cut scenes mean? She says it's a warning and she isn't supposed to go to Eden. However when you actually got there, the queen suggested she had been expecting Kisala. Doesn't that mean she was meant to go there after all? On that point, it amazes me that the Mariglenn people went to the trouble of planting keys on every planet so that the one with Star king's power can reach them in the future. Yet when such a figure arrives who is supposed to be their savior, it's almost a afterthought for them. It's all about the princess. And i think the time travel aspect should be made more front and center. The game merely suggested it and seemed to assume the player already know.
  3. How was peace in the universe achieved in the end? I suppose after you defeat Rune the monsters would probably dwindle and disappear. But humans are the problem too. What about the war between Longardian Federation and Draxilian Empire? Wasn't Jaster meant to be the new star king? what happens to that? It seems he settled down with Kisala somewhere, probably on Rosa. The abduction seems a dreadful waste and misuse of the star king power to me though Kisala's ditching of them is equally bad. She simply turned her back and walked away, not even sparing a glance when Jaster and Dorgengoa were calling to her and suffering them to be shooed away by her underlings. Why she can't invite them to stay and settle down on Mariglenn is beyond me. So now she is too good for them?
On a side note, I wish this game had video tutorials like Dark Cloud 2. I played through the game without understanding the system at all. Only after looking through the Forum posts now that I have completed the game (I'm in Ghost Ship Extreme now) did I realize you are supposed to spam spells. I had no idea. I thought this is a button mashing game like Dark Cloud games. Isn't Jaster not very good in terms of spamming spells? He only has one and that one is not good enough for late game. Instead, he has lots of useless abilities, namely Break Throw, Whirlwind, Shooting Star. None of the other characters has useless abilities as far as I can see.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: pendell

pendell
1 month ago#2
SPOILERS AHOY!

1. > How did Kisala travel through 10000 years from the past to the present. The robot that brought her was sealed within the labyrinth so it arrived in the past. How did Kisala get to the present time?

Here's my best guess, although the game doesn't spell this out:
[spoiler]
Time travel. Eden is sealed in a pocket universe. We know that the prophet Yuvan had told them that the Star King's descendent would manifest in ten thousand years time.

My guess is that the robot traveled from that pocket universe to present time in the Guin System, using the dimensional gate we use to reach Mariglenn in-game. There ere he set Kisala's lifeboat adrift in the trade lanes where it would be recovered by a passing ship. I assume that next he used the same dimensional travel to leave the present and return to the past, where he dropped off the various key piece artifacts. After all this was done, I assume Eden locked the gate that they were using to do all these stunts, and Ragnar stayed on the far side of the gate in the past, where he took up his solitary vigil in the temple until found by our party in the present.

Given the people of Mariglenn possessed the techology to lock their entire planet in a pocket universe, I don't think time travel shenanigans a la Doctor Who are implausible in the story.
[/spoiler]

>2, What does the fading of Kisala in some cut scenes mean? She says it's a warning and she isn't supposed to go to Eden. However when you actually got there, the queen suggested she had been expecting Kisala. Doesn't that mean she was meant to go there after all? On that point, it amazes me that the Mariglenn people went to the trouble of planting keys on every planet so that the one with Star king's power can reach them in the future. Yet when such a figure arrives who is supposed to be their savior, it's almost a afterthought for them. It's all about the princess. And i think the time travel aspect should be made more front and center. The game merely suggested it and seemed to assume the player already know.

[spoiler]
This is a guess on my part; remember that those scenes happened before the events of the story when the Star King fully manifested. If the gate to Mariglenn is opened before that time, Mother will not be stopped. She will pour rune out through the opened gate and consumed the galaxy. Hence the warning to Kisala to stay away; she wasn't yet ready. Although why she turns transparent I couldn't possibly say.
[/spoiler]

How was peace in the universe achieved in the end? I suppose after you defeat Rune the monsters would probably dwindle and disappear. But humans are the problem too. What about the war between Longardian Federation and Draxilian Empire? Wasn't Jaster meant to be the new star king? what happens to that? It seems he settled down with Kisala somewhere, probably on Rosa. The abduction seems a dreadful waste and misuse of the star king power to me though Kisala's ditching of them is equally bad. She simply turned her back and walked away, not even sparing a glance when Jaster and Dorgengoa were calling to her and suffering them to be shooed away by her underlings. Why she can't invite them to stay and settle down on Mariglenn is beyond me. So now she is too good for them?

Again, speculation.
[spoiler]
My guess is that President Vandersch of the Longardian Federation is senile and will easily follow the suggestions of whoever got to him last. With Valkog dead , I assume Admiral Banarge was able to get the Presidents ear and talk him round. With Longardia now willing to make peace I assume Banarge's opposite numbers were able to gain control in Draxil and reciprocate.

If there were any further holdouts to peace, perhaps the Star King's descendent could make an appearance to convince them that further fighting was not useful .
[/spoiler]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MattJN

MattJN
1 month ago#3
I wish the game made these things clearer. However, I do find your theories and explanations convincing. Anyway, it sure feels like plot holes.

User Info: pendell

pendell
1 month ago#4
You're welcome!

Incidentally, I thought of another reason for #3.

Remember that a big part of Daytron's plan for making money was to use Rune to make an endless supply of battle monsters to fuel the war. No Rune = No endless supply of Battle Monsters = Might as well going back to making toasters and cleaning robots.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
  1. Boards
  2. Rogue Galaxy
  3. Questions about the story (spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A