• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Can't defeat Scalebeast in NCU run

User Info: difference12345

difference12345
1 month ago#1
Hey all,

I'm doing an NCU run, and I'm having some trouble defeating the lone Scalebeast in Chapter 6 that's guarding one of the treasures. I know it's not mandatory, but the completionist in me won't let me leave the treasure behind. The main problem I have is getting one shot by its Shocking Breath, even with 500 HP flat on both characters using bangles. I looked up some videos, and it seems people are only taking two ticks of damage from it, which allows them to live and complete the battle. However, I'm getting hit by it 3 times for some reason, each hit doing ~240 damage, which is over 700 damage total. Aegisol doesn't seem to do anything. Any tips? I'm playing on the PC version, btw.

User Info: groudonvert

groudonvert
1 month ago#2
I used Shrouds for this battle. With 500 HP and Protect/Shell, Vanille can take the hits.

https://youtu.be/BpxTuaEenrc?list=UUOki1cJjcjTISMn5gqOJc6g

User Info: destrian522

destrian522
1 month ago#3
I don’t know about 3 hits there, but I’ve never played PC version. Ultimania says it is two hits. I’d be curious to see a video if you have one.

At any rate, the fight is way easier with decent upgrades. With max Silver Bangle Vanille should survive the breath attack unless there is something funky going on. You can also win in one stagger and never even see the breath attack, so that may be the route you want to go. I did it in one stagger with level 12 Deneb Duellers, no items/shrouds.
CWLSIV | http://www.twitch.tv/destrianiv

User Info: tiornys

tiornys
1 month ago#4
We know that PC version can do funny things with hitboxes in regards to Eidolon attacks. This might be something similar.

I agree with the one-stagger idea. Whenever possible, killing the enemy faster is the desired route.

difference12345
1 month ago#5
destrian522 posted...
I don’t know about 3 hits there, but I’ve never played PC version. Ultimania says it is two hits. I’d be curious to see a video if you have one.

At any rate, the fight is way easier with decent upgrades. With max Silver Bangle Vanille should survive the breath attack unless there is something funky going on. You can also win in one stagger and never even see the breath attack, so that may be the route you want to go. I did it in one stagger with level 12 Deneb Duellers, no items/shrouds.

https://streamable.com/tghaet

Here's a video of it using the attack that I recorded earlier today. I've only ever seen it hit 3 times, both on Vanille and Sazh.

Well, whether it's a hitbox glitch or that SE secretly rebalanced some enemies in the PC version, it seems I'm going to have to one stagger it if I can't get around this (or pray it targets Sazh and just Phoenix Down him). I'll try upgrading my Denebs first.

User Info: groudonvert

groudonvert
1 month ago#6
It can hits two times or three times. It's a little luck based :(

By the way, I did everything that can be done on NCUNEU before Barthandelus II, if you need some help, you can watch my video.

difference12345
1 month ago#7
groudonvert posted...
It can hits two times or three times. It's a little luck based :(

By the way, I did everything that can be done on NCUNEU before Barthandelus II, if you need some help, you can watch my video.

Great, thank you.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Can't defeat Scalebeast in NCU run
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A