This game released 8 years ago today. How do you feel about it looking back?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. This game released 8 years ago today. How do you feel about it looking back?

User Info: Aethyriel

Aethyriel
6 months ago#31
rickets987 posted...
That's not so much a character depth problem as really poor execution in showing on-screen why the characters are doing what they're doing. The characters are reasonably deep and I don't consider that to be one of the game's many problems. I'm saying this as someone who would never rank this game as one of my favorites, btw.

Lightning was going through a hell of a lot of s***, from her sister's moronic boyfriend, their argument they had, the sister actually being a L'Cie, regret over their argument, the purge, turning into a L'Cie herself, etc. She was extremely irrational and pissed because of all that. While Lightning IS an angry, irrational person by default, and she continues to be until the end of the game, seeing Hope do what he was doing woke her up to how stupid she was acting. As a result, she cooled down and tried to talk him out of it.

that's what I said - she was angry, one moment changed everything - she wasn't angry any longer. That's her entire arc. Where is the depth? She literally changes due to one single thing clicking her into the right gear and then stays that way. And you have 6 characters going through the same motions with some stupid irrational moments here and there. The characters are totally underdeveloped (but what else to expect from a game that takes around 25 hours to beat w/o the grind content) and thus feel hollow. They're just crammed into roles and that's it, no agency of their own, everything they do is convenienced by the plot or outside influence. There is nothing these characters do themselves, they just get pushed like playballs to fall into slots you knew thy'd end up in. No depth.

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
6 months ago#32
So basically, one moment can never change everything.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
(message deleted)

User Info: KuroPuP

KuroPuP
6 months ago#34
Well, if you wanna boil it down to something as simple as that, then sure. However, I'd argue it took 3 steps rather than 1 before her anger actually alleviated. First was the Odin scene in the Peaks where she almost abandoned Hope before instinct kicked in prompting her to protect the kid and take him under her wing. Second, as was mentioned, while she was training Hope in Gapra, she realized her own anger was seeping into the kid, making him even more irrational in regards to his need for revenge. She'd been nothing but a bad influence on him and there was no taking back the damage she'd done, so the only thing she could do was stick by Hope and keep him alive. Third and last is of course the one cited in Palumpolum in front of Carbuncle when she finally snaps out of it.

But then, even after she wasn't angry anymore, everything wasn't immediately all well and resolved. Without anything to focus on or look forward to...no plan, no goal, no future, no family...she contemplated being better off dead.

Aaaand then that spiral into suicidal ideation was immediately remedied by Fang, and her arc is then concluded in the scene with Snow. I'd say the overall execution was rather clunky, however this specific character arc was more than just a flip of the switch. But hey, I do me and you do you.

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
6 months ago#35
I've played the game during a week's vacation a month ago, and I finished the main story in that time. It dethroned FF12 as my fav FF title. I love it. Today I've gone back to it to start the post-game stuff and getting trophies. It's an awesome game, my only criticism really is the lack of a static minimap. It's super annoying

User Info: iamBGS

iamBGS
6 months ago#36
MeteoraXV posted...
I've played the game during a week's vacation a month ago, and I finished the main story in that time. It dethroned FF12 as my fav FF title. I love it. Today I've gone back to it to start the post-game stuff and getting trophies. It's an awesome game, my only criticism really is the lack of a static minimap. It's super annoying

Are you going to play the sequels as well? I love the trilogy.

As for the minimap, you can pin it to the standard "north = up" in XIII-2. For what it's worth, that drove me nanners too.
0688 5336 2575 IGN/Mii = BGS | ITG/DDR streams at http://twitch.tv/iambgs
My MtG Cube = http://tappedout.net/mtg-cube-drafts/bgss-multicolor-madness/

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
6 months ago#37
@iamBGS F yeah I'm gonna play the sequels, even managed to score a brand new still-wrapped-in-foil collectors edition of the FFXIII-2 Piggyback guide for like 9 euros from Germany

Man I hope they remaster XIII for PS4 or 5 sometime later and maybe fix some of the issues with the game as well as add all that content they had to cut out, according to an interview with the (amazing) art director

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
6 months ago#38
Well, after finishing a playthrough on PC my opinions are pretty much the same as when it was still new and exciting: disappointing, although not the worst thing ever.
Battle system is good, but character progression system is bad. It's linear, moreso than past FFs; this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but FFXIII didn't pull it off as well as it should have, it gave up most of what people expect from a J-RPG for a pretty unimpressive attempt at more focused storytelling. Part of this is likely due to all the development issues, but I suspect part of it was just their lack of experience at that type of storytelling too. Other than pretty visuals - which is fine, I'm all for appreciating good visual design rather than insisting that graphics never matter - there's nothing especially good about the game, but there's nothing that would put me off playing either.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
6 months ago#39
MeteoraXV posted...
Man I hope they remaster XIII for PS4 or 5 sometime later and maybe fix some of the issues with the game as well as add all that content they had to cut out, according to an interview with the (amazing) art director

One of the things that would be a major improvement to XIII would be the ability to swap characters in battle. Gambits to control the other two characters would be great too, but that's pretty much a pipe dream.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

User Info: TrulyEpicLawls

TrulyEpicLawls
6 months ago#40
I'll speak as a non-fan who has only played some of VII and a demo of X, and had this as a freebie in his backlog.

I thought it'd be like X where I'd get quickly irked by the constant stopping and meaningless fights, but the combat system not being turn-based and being super-fast changed everything. This might be an RPG I actually finish.

I was impressed visually. The faces are incredible, and they know it. Also the (unfortunately token) black guy's voicework was realistic with a range of volume and natural breathing, in a cast of stereotypically Japanese characters doing animé grunts and gasps.

However, after a few hours, it became clear the only thing that progresses is the story, and that ain't progressing any time soon. By the time I stopped, the combat went from tactical to auto, and the story had stalled and wasn't going to move on for allegedly 15 hours. You get flashbacks and people mix and match to interact, but nothing happens. It's like all the stuff already happened, but we need at least 30 more hours of game so let's get to know the characters.

So why should I not just watch the cutscenes on YouTube? What would drive me to have thousands of meaningless auto fights? As a kid with a few games, I'd probably finish it. But in the Backlog Era, I have to ask whenever I play "would I rather keep playing this or play the next pointless Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty?"

I felt it suffered the fate of many an RPG: being long for the sake of being long, because RPGs are 'supposed' to be 50, 100, 200 hours. HLTB says this takes 50+ hours to beat, so I reckon this should've been a 15 or 20-hour story. Especially today, it's ok if a game is 'short'. As long as it's good. Better to end too soon than go on too long.
Argument winners: calm down, troll, hater, you obviously, LOL, don't care, I'm done, actually this is funny, not wasting my time, butthurt, blocked, keep trying
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. This game released 8 years ago today. How do you feel about it looking back?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived