• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Hiroyuki Itou (FFXII) > Yoshinori Kitase (FFXIII)

User Info: GZay2Stay

GZay2Stay
9 years ago#1
I like the CSB system and the playable eidolons but ADB is still better and Gambits are better than Paradigm Shift. Even everything about the story looks less epic than XII and more soap opera.

I'm buying the game but I'm not expecting it to top XII in story or gameplay.

This is all IMO.
The hottest cross dresser in J-Rock (Remember when Cloud did this in FFVII?)
http://img32.imageshack.us/i/hfinal00.jpg/

User Info: LenneValkyrie

LenneValkyrie
9 years ago#2
are trolling?

User Info: W_Mark_Felt_Sr

W_Mark_Felt_Sr
9 years ago#3
Random treasure chests and Zodiac Spear FTW
I will meditate and then destroy you.
~ Dhalsim

User Info: DarcKage

DarcKage
9 years ago#4
You're saying you actually thought XII's story was good?

Heh, good one.

User Info: doug12912

doug12912
9 years ago#5
Go sing Chocolate Rain.

User Info: PsychoWarden

PsychoWarden
9 years ago#6
XII's story was a missed opportunity of epic proportions. I can't believe anyone would think it was "epic" when half the game consisted of wandering across massive dungeon-like overworld settings on your way to a dungeon. Once you get there, you get 5 minutes of plot (but not character) development and then two more hours of random wandering.

Yeah, XIII looks to be a bit heavy on the melodrama, but a character-driven narrative is always better than an event-driven narrative when it comes to JRPGs. Except in Suikoden, which does it both ways. I'm personally glad the game is moving far away from FFXII in terms of story structure and gameplay mechanics; we already HAVE an MMO FF game, two of them even if you count XIV. We really don't need another game that uses those mechanics. ATB > ADB.
"Pretend...I'm saying...something profound..." - Takeda Shingen, Samurai Warriors II

User Info: 08988211

9 years ago#7
I agree. I still don't like how they brought back the transition to a battlescreen, and this JPop soap opera stuff is a bit irritating.

User Info: kratosgod69

kratosgod69
9 years ago#8
While I agree that Itou is better, I don't think we can judge CSB until we play the finished version.

User Info: Sand_Flare

Sand_Flare
9 years ago#9
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the character development department exactly the thing that was criticized the most in FFXII?

well we got what we wished for. character development. tons of it, it seems. I don't see anything particularly bad about its implementation in FFXIII (just from the trailers) either.

as far as the ADB, growth system, and Gambits...they're fine, but ADB won't work because this game isn't seamless, but I don't have a problem with that. ADB was basically ATB with directly controlled movement anyway. Gambits were an excellent AI management system. I don't know if they let you customize the AI in any way in FFXIII, but it would be hard to top Gambits. I understand that they would be hard to implement though, since characters change roles, and thus their skill sets, are constantly changing in battle due to paradigm shift (unless they let you make a gambit for each role for each character...talk about confusing...) it would be hard to do.

at any rate the CSB and new growth system looks like they're fun and a bit deep, and that's what matters in the end. if that's true then I have no qualms.

I'm expecting it to surpass XII in both story and gameplay. All IMO.

User Info: 08988211

9 years ago#10

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the character development department exactly the thing that was criticized the most in FFXII?

well we got what we wished for.

Okay who's we? A lot of us were satisfied with the character development in FFXII. And I did not wish for this.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Hiroyuki Itou (FFXII) > Yoshinori Kitase (FFXIII)
  • Topic Archived