Why Ganondorf is #1

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: yelocakeffect_2

yelocakeffect_2
7 years ago#111
@gsk6390
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you giving me a detailed explanation concerning your experience with Brawl and why it's not a great game. I've read everything and can appreciate your gripe, ask Episolon(sp) if you don't believe me, we had a long talk. So I will only touch on some of your points, but I'm not necessarily going to agree or disagree with them.

Now it should be noted, that I am looking at this from a different window then you are. Yes, I've played all the SSB games from 1-3. The only game I ever bought was 3, and I'll tell you why. I wanted something different from other traditional fighting games besides Urban Reign, and I was looking forward to SSE, as I had beaten Kirby Superstars 12 or 13 times already.

So while you may have been looking for the next great fighting game, I was not. To add to this, I already had the epic matches i was looking for with games like Guilty Gear X2, Guilty Gear Asuka, KOF 11, Urban Reign, Tekken Tag & Smackdown "Shut your Mouth". Now, granted Urban Reign and Smackdown has their design flaws, they were still well made games no less.

How does this apply to the discussion at hand? These are all combo-happy games. There where no real tit-for-tat games out there that where good, I admit, there where some obscure game ou there like that, but none that where actually worth spending money on. People probably don't remember the first Street Fighter 2 game. This was a perfect example of a tit-for-tat fighting system.

Does a game being overtly defensive make it bad? Of course not. These are some of the element of the more classical fighters. But in Brawls case, the weather can change with the simple switch of the option button. Add beam sabers and star-rods, or Smart-Bomb and Pokeballs, you've got yourself a combo-happy super offensive Armageddon. Believe me, in such a circumstance, things like shielding and evasion are a god-send.

Am I suggesting you play this way to experience the offensiveness you want? No, that would be narrow minded. What I am doing however is reminding you that said play-style does exist, even if it's not the way you'd like it to be. Now as for Brawls cast being in shambles when the screen is empty and the hazards go missing... I have no excuse, and neither do they. However, this is why I support Balanced Brawl.

Brawl is already a chaotic game with all the hazards and weapons removed, we all know this already. So making the characters just as chaotic of even more-so simply does not make sense. If you want characters to be fair, then the Broken Metagame has the potential to be repaired with Balanced Brawl. But if you want it to be a Mugen smorgy, then by all means... play Brawl Minus.

User Info: gsk6390

gsk6390
7 years ago#112
Yes, I've played all the SSB games from 1-3. The only game I ever bought was 3, and I'll tell you why. I wanted something different from other traditional fighting games

How are Smash64 and Melee NOT different from traditional fighters regardless of how you play them?

I was looking forward to SSE, as I had beaten Kirby Superstars 12 or 13 times already.

SSE got nothing on Kirby Super Star (and its remake) or ANY other Kirby platformer.

Add beam sabers and star-rods, or Smart-Bomb and Pokeballs, you've got yourself a combo-happy super offensive Armageddon.

No. In all 3 games, adding items encourages camping more. This was remedied in Smash64 by its engine catering towards offense (polar opposite of Brawl) and remedied in Melee by its sheer speed. Brawl has neither of these qualities.

As for the rest of your post; fair enough. My posts weren't to make you play a particular way, rather just to make you understand the general view that I (and others) have with relation to Brawl and its gameplay, speed, depth and engine in general. To say that people only have a problem with its character balance is incorrect.
100 Awesome Kirbies: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=255
PAL player with online access to Brawl+, Smash64 and TvC

yelocakeffect_2
7 years ago#113
@gsk6390
Well, I am correct. Do you honestly believed that... had Brawl been the most Balanced out of the 3 series of games we would be here expressing our different opinions?

Or do you think the nerfs in speed, gravity, depth, and characters would have simply been excused by the fact all the characters 30+ characters are pretty close in power now, and Nintendo would have been praised for it?

Be honest. :/
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny to your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination!

gsk6390
7 years ago#114
Well, I am correct. Do you honestly believed that... had Brawl been the most Balanced out of the 3 series of games we would be here expressing our different opinions?

Depends on other things. Such as speed, depth and gameplay style...

Or do you think the nerfs in speed, gravity, depth, and characters would have simply been excused by the fact all the characters 30+ characters are pretty close in power now, and Nintendo would have been praised for it?

Nope, otherwise everyone would be treating BalancedBrawl as the definitive Smash.

yelocakeffect_2
7 years ago#115
Well, IMO Balanced Brawl is the definitive Smash, but I don't put aside the fact that there is a lot of people who have a nasty taste in their mouth that needs to be washed out before they can begin to accept that. A game with 30+ character who are all actually good is a rare find, but if a game doesn't want that because of a grudge, well... there is really nothing you can say to them. :/
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny to your signature
(='.'=) to help him gain world domination!

gsk6390
7 years ago#116
^Or they just want more than that. Fun is subjective, so what one person finds fun or more/less important for gameplay varies. Therefore, you cannot say "This Smash is the definitive Smash".

User Info: Duh_Key

Duh_Key
7 years ago#117

Agh, so I see they've change their tune... fair enuff. But I can simply say Brawl Minus attempts to be Mugen and succeeds. See how easy that was, and in fact it is much more insulting. A Mugen game can be fun, lots of fun, don't get me wrong, but taken seriously? Forget it.

No, you cannot say that, as it does not. They attempted to make the game more balanced, more fast paced, and more fun. That is all that they did. And they succeeded.

And it can be taken seriously... Why couldn't it?

As for me being a liar, well, consider me corrected in my new statement. Besides, I MAKE fighting games, I don't necessary need to play them to dissect them. As a matter of fact, I told most people Brawl was unbalanced before things like chain-grabs and jab-locks even came into discovery. Even though everyone like to cry "high-level" play when people discuss Brawls mechanics, some things are just obvious.

Good job... You pointed out something extremely obvious to anyone who has experience with fighting games...? And "I don't necessary need to play them to dissect them" just translates to "I don't have the knowledge / experience required to make this statement but I'm going to make it anyway."

Balanced Brawl simply fix'd what was broken in the current metagame. How can that be bad... seriously? The only reason anyone complained about the engine was due to the imbalanced it causes in itemless 1 vs 1 matches. It was not necessarily flawed in execution, but result.

It's still slow paced as crap and has few true combos... Yeah, go ahead and bring up things like "MARTH CAN F-AIR TWICE!" and "BOWSERS FLAMES HIT LIKE 10 TIMES!" I'm talking about real combos.

I'll tell you whats bad though, is breaking every character in the hope of fixing them, which NEVER works.. and trust me, I've played enuff Mugen to know that for a fact. :/

It's already extremely balanced, actually. Especially for being the first release. (Go ahead, claim that it isn't. You admitted that you haven't played it, and therefore cannot make any fair statement about it.) And it's only going to get more balanced with every release.... Sooo....

User Info: TheMoodster

TheMoodster
7 years ago#118
ITT: Lost of players get butthurt by trolls.
LOTS

User Info: Duh_Key

Duh_Key
7 years ago#119

ITT: Lost of players get butthurt by trolls.
LOTS

Lost...

Players?

"get butthurt"?

User Info: Mariofan4ever

Mariofan4ever
7 years ago#120
Inb4ZSS
In Soviet Russia, the Muffin Man knows YOU!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived