• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  3. Some interesting tidbits from Sakurai.. (character inclusion, Ridley, and Sonic)

User Info: Snakey

Snakey
9 years ago#1
Here are some things that Sakurai has said that I think the rest of this board might find interesting. This comes from the Sakurai interview in the May 2008 issue of Nintendo Power:

Nintendo Power: How did you go about choosing which characters to include in the final roster? Were there any characters that you really wish you could have included, but weren't able to for whatever reason?[/I]

Sakurai:Of course there were some characters that we couldn't include, but we've decided that we're not going to talk about them. [Laughs]

As far as choosing which characters, we had to really look at the series that would be represented in the game and create a balance that would make fans of all the series happy. We didn't want to have all Mario characters, all Pokemon characters... We looked at each series and tried to pick the characters that would have the widest appeal to the largest fan base. And of course, we looked at games like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs, where there aren't really any characters that lend themselves to fighting, and we decided not to include characters from those series as fighting characters.

One thing that was kind of a challenge is that we haven't had a lot of new characters from Nintendo since Captain Olimar [that could work well in a fighting game]; a lot of games have been Mario titles or new iterations of existing series.

Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

Nintendo Power: We're just glad he made it into the Subspace Emissary. You've talked previously about how Solid Snake ended up in the game, but how about Sonic? How did his inclusion come about?

Sakurai: At the time we announced Snake, we actually put together a survey for our users, asking which characters they would like to see in the game. And a huge amount of people said Sonic, especially in the United States. So in order to satisfy our fans, I thought it was a good idea to try to include Sonic. But that was the thing that put the whole process in motion.
Play It Loud

User Info: Undead Saint

Undead Saint
9 years ago#2
SO Sonic is not only repping sega, but the entire United States of America.

Sonic is an ambassador?
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
What's up with the parentheses in random places?-Gamemaster1212

User Info: MachDragon

MachDragon
9 years ago#3
One thing that was kind of a challenge is that we haven't had a lot of new characters from Nintendo since Captain Olimar [that could work well in a fighting game]; a lot of games have been Mario titles or new iterations of existing series.

Nintendo Power: (... and you thought that doctor mario could work well in a fighting game...?)

however, sakurai spoke (and laughed) in japanese, so this interview is automatically 2x cooler.
The dragon flies at mach speed. You, on the other hand, can't fly.
But can you go at mach speed? No. Dragons own you.

User Info: 2wingedangel

2wingedangel
9 years ago#4
The way he laughs between sentences... I just wanna beat the living **** out of him.
Teehee! <3
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2156/81376001oi9.jpg

User Info: CheckmateD1

CheckmateD1
9 years ago#5
Thanks for sharing the info. Interesting stuff.

Sakurai: Of course there were some characters that we couldn't include, but we've decided that we're not going to talk about them. [Laughs]

The way he laughs between sentences... I just wanna beat the living **** out of him.

CheckmateD1: Agreed. That's not only dissatisfying, that's not funny at all. That's a clear insult to anyone that wants to hear a decent answer. That's the message I'd want to get across to other readers, but I'm not going to get into the details as to why. [Laughs]
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/dreambunni10/chess2.jpg

User Info: Electric_Sonic

Electric_Sonic
9 years ago#6
I would assume most people have already seen this (and I think I have too) considering the date, but eh.

The "not many new characters" thing was mentioned on the Smash Dojo not long after release (well before that interview), so that isn't really anything new, and the Sonic thing should've also been pretty obvious.

Ridley being 'impossible' is most likely in relation to the size issue, but he admits that it could've been pulled off with their 'best efforts', which gives some hope for him being playable in future games, I would think.

Concerning the inclusion of other characters, I still don't see why he'd think AC or Nintendogs characters fighting would be that big of a deal (especially compared to current characters like Peach and the ICs) and I also don't see an issue with giving bigger series like Mario and Pokemon more playable characters, as long as they're deserving of a spot.
http://brawlinthefamily.com/
http://backloggery.com/sonic

User Info: zeroexev29

zeroexev29
9 years ago#7
however, sakurai spoke (and laughed) in japanese, so this interview is automatically 2x cooler.

Yea, but 2 x 0 is still 0
Mega Man >or= Kirbeh

User Info: Soccer_is_Best

Soccer_is_Best
9 years ago#8
Honestly, my only gripe is Animal Crossing. I know, animal crossing isn't even close to a game with fighting, but COME ON! They say how they don't have any new series to use and Animal Crossing is a choice, but nooo, it wouldn't work well in a fighting game...SO WHAT! The series has PLENTY of items that could be used with an Animal Crosser to create a unique character. Really, as somone else stated, how the heck would Dr. Mario work well in a fighting game? /rant .

Sorry about that...I just had to let that out.
Official Ho-oh of the B/W Boards
2010- One of the greatest years for Nintendo.

User Info: qbertmaster

qbertmaster
9 years ago#9
Sakurai either has no logic or he is extremely lazy. Go watch the opening cinematic for Melee; there is a point where Samus fights a small purple Ridley. So scaling him down wouldn't have been a problem.

I also thought assist trophies werer just an excuse for adding more items and doing less work on characters. Little Mac, that guy from Sin and Punishment, Lyn, and Isaac would have all been great for smash characters. Instead the only true "new" additions to smash, were Pikmin, Kid Icarus, and 2 third party characters (Wario and ROB are a bit of a stretch to say they represent new game series, IMO)

I really hope whoever takes the reigns for the next smash game won't be high on laughing gas and will actually focus on good gameplay, balance, and appealing new characters instead of giving us tripping, and a side scrolling adventure mode that is similar to Sakurai's Kirby series just without the fun.
Remember... if it's slightly complicated, there is a wikia for it.

User Info: 2wingedangel

2wingedangel
9 years ago#10
CheckmateD1: Agreed. That's not only dissatisfying, that's not funny at all. That's a clear insult to anyone that wants to hear a decent answer. That's the message I'd want to get across to other readers, but I'm not going to get into the details as to why. [Laughs]

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEE!!!!
Teehee! <3
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2156/81376001oi9.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  3. Some interesting tidbits from Sakurai.. (character inclusion, Ridley, and Sonic)
  • Topic Archived