• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
2 years ago#21
For the record, Super Metroid is on 3DS Virtual Console, so aside from a possible few shortcuts the developers took to make it run, it's going to be the same game, so yes, Samus really was that big in the original game.

Also, Metroid Prime 2 is probably my favorite of the three Metroid Prime games, even if I acknowledge that the first did the exploration stuff a lot better. It has my favorite combat systems, even if the Light and Dark Beams are highly overpowered when charged (a Lightblast on an enemy weak to it will do 100 damage as opposed to a Super Missile's 90, and a Dark Beam can freeze a huge slew of enemies, including Rezbits and Pirate Commandos) and the Dark Pirate Commandos are tedious. My biggest gripes with the game are that the Light Suit is so overpowered (I like the idea of taking damage outside of the healing zones; it made Dark Aether a very different environment) and that the enemies in Dark Aether tended to be less interesting. I loved enemies like Quads (Oh hey, Bombs are relevant again; also, they'll jump away from your Missiles if you aren't close enough, which I like more than just turning transparent), Rezbits (Did you know that you can lock on to them when they're charging their virus if you use the Echo Visor?), Ingsmashers, and Bloggs (if you really hate them, use a Darkburst; that thing wrecks even the Alpha Blogg, though I'll admit that I never used it against the smaller kind).

And yet, Hunter Ing were downright tedious until you got the Annihilator Beam (they have 150 health and dodge everything except Power Beam shots, which do 1 to 25 depending on the charge, and sometimes single Light Beams, which do 20), Dark Pirate Commandos are either more exhausting than anything with their roughly 320 health (unless you use the Entangler shot, which doesn't consistently freeze if I recall correctly; Chozo Ghosts had only about 115, for the record) or just a matter of using enough Lightblasts with the Dark Visor (which was overpowered, while the nifty looking Echo Visor got little), and while Warrior Ing are decent, they can't carry the four sections of Dark Aether that well (by the way, they also have 150 health). But overall, it was a fun game for me, once I learned to be more "wasteful" and start using Missiles and Beam Ammo, rather than my traditional style of using them as little as possible.
Man, I should really finish that damage guide I was making. I'm dreading the Mutated Emperor Ing, though.... I'll also need to figure out what's going on with the Boost Guardian, because damage is weird with that thing.

The third game felt to me like wasted potential. Hypermode was a nifty idea, but because it allows you to tank hits with impunity for a while, and it allows a massive damage increase, it just felt way too unbalanced. That enemy problem in Dark Aether in the second game got even worse, since the only difficult enemies were the various Pirates, Phazon Metroids (which were always encountered alone or that lone one by the Crawlmines, so using the Ice Missiles is pretty easy), the two Reptilicus forms (which can also easily be killed by the Ice Missiles as soon as you get them), Warp Hounds (which eventually stopped appearing, not that they occurred on most planets), and the very rare enemies, like the Fargul Hatcher. Also, the Pirate Homeworld was just stupid. We're supposed to be sneaking around their home base, with a swarm attack by them imminent and yet such attacks are less common than in the second half of Skytown. The only three swarm attacks are with the defense system and the Demolition Trooper/Pirate Commander sequence. The only nice place was Phaaze, which was ironically like Dark Aether, but with fun enemies. (Did you know you can overload Phaz-ing via the Hyper Grapple? And Phazon Hoppers die to a single Hyper Missile, even when entering Hypermode, at least at Veteran difficulty) I don't think it's a bad game, but it's not exactly great, either.
Sorry, can't talk; switching feet!

User Info: The Rogue Cobra

The Rogue Cobra
2 years ago#22
Prime 2 is a very underappreciated game, but it does admittedly get bogged down by tedious sections. If you don't like backtracking in general, Prime 2 is not going to be your best friend. The key hunt at the end of the game is also worse in comparison to Prime 1, and Agon Wastes isn't as inviting as say the Chozo Ruins were.

Once you get used to the beams though it does get a little better, as those two things are almost broken. You have to basically ignore Hunter Ing until you get the Annihilator Beam as it's the only consistent way of killing them quickly, but you can keep them out of your hair by keeping them in phase shift. When you fire a charge shot at them they phase out to avoid it, which you can abuse by constantly firing one at them every time they phase back in. It has a generous timer on it so unless you're trying to do something really precise, you can just mindlessly phase-loop them and finish your business in the room. They don't attack you during this. Bloggs are shredded with beams, though their hitboxes are wonky sometimes. Grenchlers are helpless against Dark charge beams, almost embarrassingly so. The only real annoying enemy once you get the beams down is Dark Pirate Commandos since... well, there's nothing you can do until you get the Dark Visor. Light charged safe zones are a handy tool against them though, half the time they kill themselves.
It takes more than a costume and an attitude to do this work. - Batman
I'm crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS, NOOOOO thank you! - The Joker

User Info: sithmaster15

sithmaster15
2 years ago#23
I've never had a problem freezing Dark Pirate Commandos with the Dark Beam, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Maybe I'm just thinking of the time after getting the Dark Visor, but honestly there's only a couple encounters with them before that and they time out. Plus you can often trick them into warping into charged light zones (or whatever they're called, I don't remember).

I also use charged Light Beam shots against Hunter Ing and it seems to work for me. Although I do also stand in a charged light zone when I'm doing this, so half the time the Hunter Ing just kills itself by touching the charged zone.

That said, I've only ever played the original GCN version, so maybe these things are different in the Trilogy version?
There are two of me.

BlanketPI
2 years ago#24
Maybe I misremember? I just tried again and aside from them "warping" first (unless I hit them when they're readying an attack), so they're in an odd spot (unless I look with the Dark Visor), it works just fine. As for tricking them into charged light zones, they have preset locations that they can go into. Often times, this includes an area in range of a Light Beacon or Light Crystal, and they'll just go into those without reservation. (Try it in that large room in the Ing Hive where..., it's got a Portal in both dimensions, a Dark Temple Key behind a barrier that you can scan away, and it's on the way to the Screw Attack; they never go in, because all of their spots aren't near enough) They aren't very smart....

Oh, and maybe it was that the Hunter Ing dodge Lightblasts...? I know that very strong attacks can only hit them if you get really close (as in, they take up most of your view). Oh, and after stronger shots, they turn transparent right after that, so you can't hit them right away after those. But I couldn't lure them into the safe zones while they were active. Do you have a special technique?

And I used the original version, too, so we're playing the same game.

By the way, the Dark Beam is weird in terms of damage against dark enemies. For example, Dark Splinters have 30 health. Five Dark Beam shots will bring it down to 8 health, but I recall six killing them. Huh? At least with Inglets they do a consistent (but odd) 3 and one-third damage, but that's just wacky!

sithmaster15
2 years ago#25
Yeah my technique against Dark Pirate Commandos is to just power all the light beacons and crystals with the Light Beam, then blast them with a charged Dark Beam shot if they don't warp into one of the light zones right away.

As for Hunter Ing, it doesn't always work but typically standing in a charged light zone seems fairly effective. They'll come close and try to skirt around the edges, but every now and then they'll brush the zone and burn up. Maybe try standing near the opposite edge of the light zone from the Hunter Ing? I seem to remember that generally they were most likely to hit the zone while transparently phasing from one spot to the next. So stand in the charged light zone and shoot them with charged Light Beam shots and see what happens.
There are two of me.

BlanketPI
2 years ago#26
I've gotten Hunter Ing to occasionally go, but it's so rare, I just fire away at them, instead.... Actually, since they do so little damage when they don't charge into you, I normally just move ahead. But that's not always viable.
Also, I just checked and I misremembered: they have 75 health, and I did try and hit with the Light Beam. Missiles can also hit (perhaps only if you're really close?). The Dark Beam does 3 and one-third damage to them so that's possibly a faster route than using uncharged Power Beam shots. I don't know.

Speaking of the Dark Beam, I'd forgotten just how weird it is. Pirate Aerotroopers have 60 health. The first hit does 30 damage, but the subsequent ones do 15. Warrior Ing (150 health) take 36 of those to die, but 15 will leave them with 69 health left. It's much more regular with the light creatures at least. And Amorbis 1 (75 health) takes 16 Dark Beam shots + 15 Power Beam shots to die. That would make an average of 3.75 damage per shot, which is slightly higher than the Darkling average of three-and-a-third?
Oh, and Amorbis 1 takes 30 damage from each Light Beam shot, even though Amorbis 2 (also 75 health) takes only 20, like most enemies weak to the Light Beam. And Dark Chykka takes 15 damage from it?

I think I'll have to restart my game to do more research (and actually commentate on it this time), even if it'll be hard for some enemies. And the Boost Guardian will be a pain to count again.... (I think it has 488 health for some odd reason? Of course, it won't take damage from Boost Ball form stuff, I think. But maybe it does?) Can't wait for Hard Mode stuff. (Though I'll then just be testing Dark Beam/Light Beam/Annihilator Beam stuff and whether they take one few hit than double their Normal health, since everything else seems pretty regular)

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
2 years ago#27
Damn, you guys have made everything about MP2 so measurable :D I didn't know Bloggs were actually so easy to deal with. Those are the enemies that players seem to complain about most often.

That reminds me of how awesome that subterranean Torvus section is. Starts off peaceful and gets quietly terrifying. I think there's one part where you can see a boss (Grapple Guardian?) on the other side of a door. You can see him but he can't see you. He's in there causing little earthquakes while he marches around and roars, and you know you're gonna have to fight him. I like those little touches because it builds up suspense and dread.
http://pappinace.deviantart.com/

sithmaster15
2 years ago#28
I just love using the Dark Beam's combo - what's it called? Dark Burst or something? Finishing off an enemy with that thing, particularly the Ing Smashers, is just so satisfying for some reason.
There are two of me.

sithmaster15
2 years ago#29
By the way, if you remember our conversation about items and some of them being glorified keys, I've changed my mind about the Seeker Missile, at least in MP3. It's really useful in combat because you can quickly target a lot of enemies. Fun too.
There are two of me.

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
2 years ago#30
Good memory! I do remember that. Of all the items in MP3, I always thought the seeker missile had potential to be more than a key. Seems you've found that to be the case. What are some of the areas you found it most useful?

I love how you can find certain weapons and techniques to be useful, when it might otherwise be overlooked. For example you can murder those walking android things in Skytown with the boost ball. It's in that circular room that has three exits, I think one goes to a bridge that leads to the research facility. It's really fun because it's like playing bowling, and you can send them flying.
http://pappinace.deviantart.com/
  • Topic Archived