• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
2 years ago#11
Nice, thanks for showing me! I didn't realize it's a remake of Metroid 2 (isn't that what Zero Mission was?). I could never get into the old games because they don't feel atmospheric. Something about the 8-bit music and graphics. But this remake makes everything looks like it's decrepit and ancient on the inside, and presents the nature and mountainous backgrounds nicely on the outside. The developer is very talented.
http://pappinace.deviantart.com/

User Info: sithmaster15

sithmaster15
2 years ago#12
Yeah he's really good. He's been working on it for ages too, and it just keeps getting better.

Zero Mission was a remake of the original NES Metroid.
There are two of me.

sithmaster15
2 years ago#13
I've been trying to get my friend to play Metroid Prime. He started it but says he won't play it until I finish the Batman: Arkham series.
There are two of me.

PappinAce
2 years ago#14
We'll see how that goes! Prime is a tough series for newcomers, even 2D Metroid fans, to get into. None of my friends were able to acquire a taste for it. They don't make those slow-burning games anymore, like the Chozo Ruins and Agon Wastes beginning segments. I think people categorized them as "boring" because they weren't traditionally action-packed, and unfortunately Prime 3 changed it.

Is the Batman series any good?

sithmaster15
2 years ago#15
Yeah the Batman series is excellent. There's some pretty good Metroidvania elements going on, especially in the first one. They're there in the others, but not as prominent IMO. Still nowhere near as good as a proper Metroid game though as far as those elements go.

Story's pretty well done too. I recommend checking them out.
There are two of me.

User Info: GloryChaos

GloryChaos
2 years ago#16
I just finished the trilogy after sitting on Metroid Prime 2 for a month. I restarted the game and decided to stick with it the whole way through.

MP1 is the best game in the series. MP3 is probably the most fun game, gameplay wise. MP2 has...uh...Quadraxis and the Dark Samus battles...
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png

PappinAce
2 years ago#17
Nice! Glad you had fun. What do you value most in a Metroid experience? You seemed to really enjoy the combat aspects. So I can see why you liked MP3.

MP2 is definitely tough to get into. It's got a slow start but after the intro section it's an absolutely amazing experience. Everything between Torvus Bog throughout Sanctuary Fortress is my favorite segment of any video game ever. It flows so wonderfully and the world design is gorgeous and immersive. Did you not like any of those sections?

User Info: GloryChaos

GloryChaos
2 years ago#18
Well I value exploration in Metroid games. I generally like exploring new areas at my own pace and seeing where I'll end up. Metroid Prime 1 and Super Metroid have my favorite overworlds out of any video game I've ever played with Upper / Lower Maridia and the Crashed Frigate are my favorite areas respectively in those games.

Metroid Prime 3 (and fusion) severely lacked in the exploration department. But it managed to make up for that with good combat, exciting scenarios (getting the nova beam, guiding the spire over the leviathan, destroying the turrets protecting the generator, etc), or, in fusion's case, interesting narrative.

It's not that I don't like MP2. It's that it's the first Metroid and only Metroid game I have ever played where I wanted to give up on exploring midway through the game. Even with the Dark Suit, I felt like I wasn't allowed to travel through Dark Aether at my own pace. And unlike the Dark World from Lttp, the Dark Aether overworld is not interconnected. You usually enter Dark Aether, do a few things, and then backtrack to exit through the portal you came in through. Or you take a one way portal there and need to go out of your way just to get back to Aether when you're done. Plus, the travel cutscene really started to get to me by the time I reached the Sanctuary (which I loved, to be honest).

Plus, a lot of the enemies are really obnoxious. Dark Pirate Commandos appear in the worst possible places and usually lock the doors, forcing you to fight them. They tank super missiles like nothing too. Hunter Ing phase out of reality and waste time when trying to fight them. Dark Bloggs have an enormous amount of health. Ingsmashers are fun to fight, but are also responsible for locking doors.

Honestly, I can freely admit that I probably didn't play Metroid Prime 2 properly. I often conserved my Dark and Light beam ammo and relied on missiles instead until I got the Annihilator Beam, which is probably what made enemies such a chore. When looking for the Sky temple keys, I found 8 of them before I realized that I wasn't supposed to be following the Cadre Key hints at all. I was supposed to be following the Cadre luminoth logs themselves! And after getting the spider ball, I ran around like a headless chicken looking for the power bomb. But after finding missile upgrade after missile upgrade, I just consulted a guide and learned that I had to visit a room in Hydro Dynamo (another area I liked) that I had already been to.

I fully intend to replay through the game at some point, so maybe my opinion will change next time I run through it on hypermode. Although I complained about the enemy, I only died three times the whole game. I ran out of time against the last part of the Quadraxis fight and the same thing happened with Dark Samus. I also stupidly tried to run through an Ing storm before I had the light suit.

Sorry! This post became a lot wordier than I wanted it to!
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png

sithmaster15
2 years ago#19
Yeah I remember being intimidated by the beam system in MP2 on my first playthrough. It takes some getting used to, and you have to learn what enemies are susceptible to which beam. It's not always what you think. For example, and this will make future playthroughs much easier for you, a charged Dark Beam shot freezes Dark Pirate Commandoes, allowing you to shatter them with a missile. I didn't figure that out until probably my third playthrough.

Learn to use the Light and Dark beams (especially the Dark Beam, that thing is a beast) and don't forget to charge light crystals with your light beam and the game becomes a lot more fun. I think they did themselves a disservice by not being a little more explicit with the functionality of the beams early on.

Generally MP2 forces you to leave your comfort zone, and to get used to being constantly in danger. Once you embrace the danger, it becomes more fun.

But yeah that end game key hunt was poorly implemented.
There are two of me.

PappinAce
2 years ago#20
Generally MP2 forces you to leave your comfort zone, and to get used to being constantly in danger. Once you embrace the danger, it becomes more fun.

It also makes the light world much more relaxing and comforting to be in. It's always such a breath of fresh air to finish all your business in the dark world and return to light Aether, hearing the music and seeing the scenery of the (slightly) happier world. The contrast between light and dark was pulled off really well. This is what I feel Twilight Princess was going for with its very similar dark/light world, but sort of failed at it.
  • Topic Archived