This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it possible to keep the PS3 from melting itself?

User Info: LenDar22

LenDar22
2 months ago#1
My PS3 has been mostly unused for a long time but I got the yellow light once, I got someone to do a heat reflow and it came back to life but with a fried bluetooth card (I'm about to replace this when the replacement gets in the mail).

As I understand it, the yellow light with the heat flow fix has to do with a warped motherboard.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has figured any ways to keep the console itself alive from its tendency to warp its motherboard. Like are there any solutions out there for keeping it cool? Or (if not) do replacement motherboards exist so that I can keep saving my PS3 when need be?

They told me that I could expect to get a good couple of years out of it, which is kind of reasonable except I'm not sure how I'd replace it for what it can do (it's the original fully BC model).
Thunder Force AC after a game over: "Do you want to continue MORE?!"
Me: "I do IN FACT want to continue more!!!!" >:-(

User Info: djmdjmdjm

djmdjmdjm
2 months ago#2
try this ebay repair shop listing, this guy does nec capacitor and delid thermal replacement.
PS3 Service - NEC Tokin Capacitor & Thermal Paste Replacement (Read Description) | eBay
ebay.com/itm/154311874826?hash=item23edb4590a:g:aGwAAOSwH9RgWYkA
"Strong Sad, Batman what are you guys doing in my house?"
-Home Star runner.

User Info: revengine

revengine
2 months ago#3
If you want to keep it cool you could try using a laptop cooling pad. I've seen people add things like water cooling systems but that can get expensive.
Nostalgia is just regret wearing rose coloured glasses.

LenDar22
1 month ago#4
djmdjmdjm posted...
try this ebay repair shop listing, this guy does nec capacitor and delid thermal replacement.
PS3 Service - NEC Tokin Capacitor & Thermal Paste Replacement (Read Description) | eBay

revengine posted...
If you want to keep it cool you could try using a laptop cooling pad. I've seen people add things like water cooling systems but that can get expensive.

man that sounds like great ideas. Thanks I'll look into these things.

User Info: OaklandRaiderz

OaklandRaiderz
1 month ago#5
djmdjmdjm posted...

do you know of person that are able
to fix YLOD error for CECHA 60gb model ps3's?

I DON'T NEED LUCK,
LUCK NEEDS ME

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
1 month ago#6
Keep the AC pointed at the back vents while playing
---

User Info: djmdjmdjm

djmdjmdjm
1 month ago#7
OaklandRaiderz posted...
do you know of person that are able
to fix YLOD error for CECHA 60gb model ps3's?
if the problem is the NEC tokin capacitors that guy can do it otherwise you will need a technician to examine the board to determine the issue.
"Strong Sad, Batman what are you guys doing in my house?"
-Home Star runner.

User Info: ArcFan10000

ArcFan10000
1 month ago#8
The PS3 Slims don't overheat that's why I prefer them over the original model PS3. They can't play PS2 but most people don't worry about that now. They buy a PS3 to Play PS3 discs and watch movies on.
PSN: Brian_2030, Xbox Live: SEGAnerd776,Nintendo Switch ID: SW-1308-8511-0330
Most Played: NES,Super NES, Wii,Nintendo Switch,Playstation 3,Xbox 360,Xbox One,PC
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
1 month ago#9
Assuming you are talking about a fat, since you are replacing wi-fi/BT module. If that's the case, not much you can do. You can avoid that for some time, but eventually your PS3 will die. You should just focus on getting a slim as replacement and transfer all your data while you still can
"Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them. Then you're an a**hole" - George Carlin

LenDar22
1 month ago#10
rafamaximo posted...
Assuming you are talking about a fat, since you are replacing wi-fi/BT module. If that's the case, not much you can do. You can avoid that for some time, but eventually your PS3 will die. You should just focus on getting a slim as replacement and transfer all your data while you still can

I thought of that too -- should just a slim.

But I liiiiiike being able to play PS2 games.on it. :\ For a few exclusives (Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga, etc) it's still the ideal way to play them. :(
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it possible to keep the PS3 from melting itself?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A