This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Finishing up collection, help me narrow down my wishlist to 3-4 games

User Info: Llevar

Llevar
4 weeks ago#1
My PS3 backlog is large enough that I don't really feel the need to buy many more games, these are the ones I have left on my wishlist and I wanna narrow it down to 3-4. The whole advantage of a PS3 is saving money for me so no point in getting a bunch of these since they're generally expensive on eBay where I am. Nier, Yakuza 3, and Samurai Warriors 4 are all $30 or $40+ in my country so will probably skip these, I have Yakuza 4/5 anyways.

I also have Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Dynasty Warriors 7, and Tales of Xillia so I'm thinking of skipping the Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn, Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, and Tales of Xillia 2 on the list below unless they're drastically different.

Armored Core For Answer or Verdict
Warriors Orochi 3 (Ultimate)
Samurai Warriors 4
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn/2/3
Yakuza 3
Tales of Vesperia
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I or II
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS (I don't think this is in English?)
Gundam Breaker 1/2
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 or 3
Tales of Graces f
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Dragon's Crown
Tales of Xillia 2
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Alien: Isolation
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
Trinity: Souls of...
Nier

User Info: final_lap

final_lap
4 weeks ago#2
I'd skip the Armored Core games. Actually I'd skip the whole list. There, glad to help. Maybe leave Street Fighter assuming you don't have another version of Street Fighter 4. Transformers and Alien might be ok too. Heck, I have Alien, I should come back after I play it.

User Info: Varron

Varron
4 weeks ago#3
I'd actually recommend NieR over all those games you listed. The game has an amazing story coupled with one of the best soundtracks to any video game out there. The gameplay is kinda bland, but everything else makes up for it. It's a game I come back to every few years.
PS4 | PS3 | Vita | Switch | Xbox 360 | 3DS | Wii U
DOOM is a survival horror game. You're the horror and the demons are trying to survive.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 weeks ago#4
Narrowing to 3-4 games, this would be my pick:
Armored Core For Answer (Verdict is also good but fA is the best AC out there IMO)
Yakuza 3
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Nier
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

final_lap
4 weeks ago#5
I just heard on another board too that FA is the best AC game. So there's that I guess. But how?? AC4 was complete garbage. I assumed FA was merely the expansion to AC4 much like how AC3 got Silent Line and AC2 got Another Age.

rafamaximo
3 weeks ago#6
Armored Core for Answer was actually a revamp in the whole series formula. It allows a much more fast paced gameplay, flying around, Nexts (how the robots are called in fA) with extreme mobility and such. Most missions are so-so, but there are some memorable ones... like one where you fight 4 other Nexts at once.

Everything else (graphics, presentation, story, etc), for Answer brings is pretty much like one would expect from regular Armored Core games. But gameplay wise it's the best entry in the series.

V and Verdict Day take a different approach, ACs feel more sluggish and are more stuck to the ground, but in a much better way than older games.

Just not sure if I agree 4 is complete garbage though... I played it long time ago. As far as I can recall it's surely not close to being the best one, but it's also far from being the worse entry in the series.

final_lap
3 weeks ago#7
There is too much mobility in 4. It adds quick evade too, which adds more buttons, and maps each weapon to a different button. A game controller literally cannot support that many buttons. Especially now that in 4 you use both sticks like an FPS.

But like I said, the mechs are too mobile. They do not feel heavy. They handle more like fleas. When you fight the first AC in the first chapter, it's hard to even keep him in your field of vision for one full second. And this is only the first AC fight in the game. (Also when it shows the CG footage of him driving up in a truck, it looks more like an action figure on a toy truck.)

The missions are still bite size like previous games. The formula works better on a handheld. One mission has you dropping into a silo. You do not even get to jump from the plane or w/e yourself. No cutscene of it either. When mission starts, you are already falling. When you land, you shoot a handful of MTs, like three of them, and that's the entire mission. The mission in its entirety is probably less than a minute.

One thing the game does that's incredibly annoying is that your movement changes to some sort of non-battle-ready stance when the mission is complete. (You run slower, some buttons are disabled, etc) This is incredibly bad design. So long as you have control of your mech it should not change arbitrarily. The game literally just started and a player is typically still coming to grips with the updated controls, so why does it do this. They should have just disabled movement altogether like in AC3. The mission is over, so it made sense. It shouldn't CHANGE. What's also dumb is that enemies still fire at you even though you've won. I completed a mission (the sandstorm one in first chapter) with like 1 health left, it declares mission complete. But I'm being literally bombarded with missiles and stuff. (I guess my mech becomes invincible when it succeeds a mission) But even so my movement becomes handicapped even though I'm still fighting them, and not aware yet that the mission has been won. Urrgh.

The garage menu is bad too. Instead of a store you select from a couple options to equip but you do not own the parts and have to buy them before leaving the screen? Dafuq? Not entirely sure what's going on with that.

I've played it on 360 once when it came out and the second time on PS3 only this year. Never finished it either time, despite years apart allowing for fresh perspective. (As well as better attention span on the second go, being that I'm older now) That's how I know definitively that the game is a failure.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Llevar

Llevar
3 weeks ago#8
You know what, I think I'll skip Armored Core cos I'm getting a laptop with a basic dedicated GPU that can play games from around 2015 and earlier comfortably and I know there are a lot of good mech games on PC.

I'm also gonna skip Street Fighter just cos I have a handful of other good fighters which is enough for me. Action type games are in general the ones I enjoy the most so I think I'll go with:

Nier (the price though eugh)
Tales of Graces F
And one of those Japanese hack&slash ones from the list.

rafamaximo
3 weeks ago#9
final_lap posted...
There is too much mobility in 4. It adds quick evade too, which adds more buttons, and maps each weapon to a different button. A game controller literally cannot support that many buttons. Especially now that in 4 you use both sticks like an FPS.

But like I said, the mechs are too mobile. They do not feel heavy. They handle more like fleas. When you fight the first AC in the first chapter, it's hard to even keep him in your field of vision for one full second. And this is only the first AC fight in the game. (Also when it shows the CG footage of him driving up in a truck, it looks more like an action figure on a toy truck.)

The missions are still bite size like previous games. The formula works better on a handheld. One mission has you dropping into a silo. You do not even get to jump from the plane or w/e yourself. No cutscene of it either. When mission starts, you are already falling. When you land, you shoot a handful of MTs, like three of them, and that's the entire mission. The mission in its entirety is probably less than a minute.

One thing the game does that's incredibly annoying is that your movement changes to some sort of non-battle-ready stance when the mission is complete. (You run slower, some buttons are disabled, etc) This is incredibly bad design. So long as you have control of your mech it should not change arbitrarily. The game literally just started and a player is typically still coming to grips with the updated controls, so why does it do this. They should have just disabled movement altogether like in AC3. The mission is over, so it made sense. It shouldn't CHANGE. What's also dumb is that enemies still fire at you even though you've won. I completed a mission (the sandstorm one in first chapter) with like 1 health left, it declares mission complete. But I'm being literally bombarded with missiles and stuff. (I guess my mech becomes invincible when it succeeds a mission) But even so my movement becomes handicapped even though I'm still fighting them, and not aware yet that the mission has been won. Urrgh.

The garage menu is bad too. Instead of a store you select from a couple options to equip but you do not own the parts and have to buy them before leaving the screen? d****? Not entirely sure what's going on with that.

I've played it on 360 once when it came out and the second time on PS3 only this year. Never finished it either time, despite years apart allowing for fresh perspective. (As well as better attention span on the second go, being that I'm older now) That's how I know definitively that the game is a failure.

That's a fair assessment, about UI /menu designs and some missions being not well designed too (there some good ones in the mix to be fair). But gamepay is good enough once you figure the game out... we're also able to deliver more mobility to keep enemy ACs at bay. I'll admit default button mapping is s***ty tho, I had to remap buttons and waste some time in testing arena to get the best out of the game. This is a From game we absolutely HAVE to take some time to get better at the mechanics if we want to enjoy the game, just like their Souls games.

User Info: youngskillz

youngskillz
3 weeks ago#10
if you like mecha try the other games too.

another century's episode r
gundamn side stories
gundam senki
gundam unicorn
gundam full boost
macross 30

also all the dynasty warrior games if you're interested.
Metal Bands -- Dawn of Ashes, Disarmonia Mundi, Words Of Farewell, I Spit Ashes, Urilia, Dark Portrait, Temple of Demigod, Sidious, Septic Flesh.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Finishing up collection, help me narrow down my wishlist to 3-4 games
  • Post New Message