This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Dualshock 3 vs Dualshock 4

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
1 month ago#1
I do know some of regulars here also own a PS4, like me. And I assume most people with a PS4 also put some decent amount of gaming time on it. After a few days using mainly PS4, when handling a Dualshock 3, I can notice a few differences... considering both my PS3 and PS4 controllers are all in excellent condition / shape, almost like new...

First impression I have is, Dualshock 3 feels small and puny compared to Dualshock 4. Comparing them, PS4 controllers are heavier and bigger than PS3 controllers, with a better grip/handling overall (at least for me, with big clumsy hands).

When actually playing, PS3 sticks have a better handling but less precision as they feel too sensitive (maybe PS4 controllers have a larger deadzone?) while PS4 sticks have a worse handling but more precision overall as they feel stiffer... (I see material for a lot of puns here, lol).

Other difference are trigger buttons placement/sensitivity... R2 and L2 feel much better in Dualshock 4, requiring much less finger movement (regardless of using inder or middle finger) to be pressed than with a PS3 controller. R2 and L2 also feel too sensitive in PS3, slightest touch and it triggers a button press.

Dualshock 3 kills it when it comes to Start/Select buttons placement, easily accessible, as PS4 controller Options buttons (working as start most of the time) is a pain to press and using that useless touchpad as a giant Select button is also a pain, even though it's easy to press anytime.

R1/L1 are pretty much the same in both controllers, even though PS4 feel more pressure sensitive at times. D-Pad and face buttons work the same in both, IMO.

Overall, I get much more comfortable using a PS4 controller. Maybe because it's bigger and has less sensitive sticks. Really wish it would work for all PS3 games, instead of being read as a 3rd party controller and not working with specific games...

I know this is kind of pointless, but maybe it could be helpful for people having trouble in getting PS3 controllers? Also, does anyone has thoughts / input on that?
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DualArms

DualArms
1 month ago#2
I love the Dualshock 4 controller. The R1/R2/L1/L2 buttons are perfectly placed, as well as the D-Pad, face buttons, and the Options + Share buttons.

However, I dislike the touchpad and speaker on Dualshock 4. I suspect they are the major battery drainers, and they felt unnecessary. As most games don't utilise the touchpad, the touchpad ended up being a big Select button like the PS3 controller. Not efficient and user-friendly. Speaker is an interesting feature, but unnecessary.

One nifty feature about DualShock 4 is that you can jack in your headphones/earphones to it.

As a substitute controller on PS3, DualShock 4 can be a decent replacement, but only for certain games that don't require heavy button inputs or button mashing. I find that using DualShock 4 to play Yakuza 5 on my PS3 to be a decent experience, but pressing the R2 button on my DS4 during a taxi minigame doesn't allow me to accelerate fast enough.

Overall, DS4 controller is a much better controller than DS3, but some of the features on DS4 can be underutilised or unnecessary like the speaker and touchpad.
PSN ID: ChaosRaiden999 (Blank Friend Requests will be ignored)
Youtube Channel: https://goo.gl/LJXnb8 | Reviews Blog: https://goo.gl/Qk7uyY

rafamaximo
1 month ago#3
I agree to what you just said. Speakers on controller aren't indeed useless, but they are annoying to me. I have disabled those in PS4 day 1 and never enabled again. Being able to jack in whatever headphone you have available is indeed handy, as you can jack in whatever headset you have available, even those default ones coming with cellphones... those usually work as headphones and mic, being a cheap option for when you need to speak with someone while playing.

Batteries in PS4 controllers are more bulky than batteries in PS3 one, they hold much more charge overall. But what makes a big difference in battery consumption is that f***ing useless led. Setting it to it's brightest settings consumes much more battery than setting it to less bright as possible. Along with built-in speakers and that "Touch select pad" makes battery life poorer.

But I've found out that a fully charged Dualshock 4 takes around 8 uninterrupted gameplay hours to completely discharge (led lights set to darker, about 6 hours with brightest setting), which is not really that bad if you think about it.

As a side note: You can actually swap PS3/PS4 controllers batteries with each other. So a Dualshock 3 with a more bulky battery would be nearly "immortal"

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
1 month ago#4
The DS4 is a significant step up. I always felt the DS3 was small and awkward last gen with its triggers but this gen Sony made a controller that's high standards for the market and I feel right at home with it.

I can understand people not liking the lightbar or touchpad but did y'all play Astro Bot? Flipping shurikens with the touch pad is awesome and the light allows the camera to track the controller when playing VR games in general. It's absolutely essential for some VR games.

Not a fan of the speakers but I can't imagine they add much cost and they can be turned off.

The battery life does suck but at least you can charge the controller from a wall socket unlike the DS3. I actually prefer the DS4 in terms of battery and charging because I play next to a wall socket. Most of the time I don't game for 6+ hours either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahP41mLAyLw

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#5
I use the DS3 and DS4 on my PC and find that the Bluetooth range on the DS4 is puny compared to the DS3. Also between my two DS4s, both have issues. One has an R1 button that sometimes sticks and the other started losing the rubber padding over the left thumbstick after a month. I also never quite got used to the R1+RTrigger concept and prefer the R1/R2 layout, despite the obvious crappiness of the DS3 triggers.

I had to replace the padding inside both my DS3s as we all do eventually but that issue aside, I still prefer to use them over the DS4s. Ideally I would actually like to use DS2s for everything but that's more trouble than it's worth, so I'm sticking with DS3 for as long as I can.

rafamaximo
1 month ago#6
INKU48 posted...
The DS4 is a significant step up. I always felt the DS3 was small and awkward last gen with its triggers but this gen Sony made a controller that's high standards for the market and I feel right at home with it.

I can understand people not liking the lightbar or touchpad but did y'all play Astro Bot? Flipping shurikens with the touch pad is awesome and the light allows the camera to track the controller when playing VR games in general. It's absolutely essential for some VR games.

I recall coming from PS2 to PS3, when I first got a PS3 it would come with a Sixaxis controller bundled, which didn't had even vibration. I also bough an adapter so I could use my Dualshock 2 through PS3 USB port. PS2 controllers felt like a tank, nothing could break those. Sixaxis felt like I was about to crush it, very light. It was weird.

To this day, only game I've ever used that makes use of touchpad as an actual touchpad was Little big planet 3, for something very specific within the game and that's it. That glowing led makes PS4 controller look absolutely awesome and cool. But it consumes a lot of battery for nothing, as almost NO ONE owns a VR. I wouldn't be against it if we had an option to turn that off completely.

ElDudorino posted...
Ideally I would actually like to use DS2s for everything

Best controller design Sony ever had.Sturdy, practical, no useless features / gimmicks. I'd use a Dualshock 2 over whatever other controller out there
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#7
Thanks for the topic! It is interesting reading the different thought processes about these things.

One thing I praise the DS3 for is that it makes very little to zero changes from the design of the PS2 DS2 and the PS1 controller w/analog sticks. The only major differences being the addition of the PS button which is the perfect size and isn't in the way whatsoever.

The L2/R2 placements on the DS3 compared to the 1 and 2 is a bit different. And I found when laying the controller down on my lap to check my PC (I game while at my PC chair since my screen is on my desk and the TV I just need to turn 90 degrees to see it without getting up) the L2 or R2 buttons, being as sensitive as they are, will be pressed if it's on my lap as the folds in my clothes and the controller laying upon it will trigger a press. Whereas with the DS2 and DS1 I don't notice this because it requires a direct down press.

~~~~~

I don't have a PS4. But I've played it numerous times, demos at Walmart, nephew's house, etc. And what I can honestly say about the controller is... it bothers me.

The placement of the D pad and the x triangle circle buttons or whatnot don't bother me as much as the MASSIVE TOUCHPAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONTROLLER. Why is this thing even here? It completely ruins the set-up for me. It's in the way and smushes the start/select buttons off to the corners where it's annoying to get to them.

Maybe it's just the fact that it is different that bothers me? This was the major reason I refused to upgrade to a DS growing up because I hated the touch screen/dual screen dynamic. I didn't know why they could not just stick to a single screen. The GBA set-up worked perfectly for me. All they needed was to add a couple more buttons for more complex gaming button loadouts and you'd have been fine.

But that's just me and my personal gripe on the DS. I have one now. But I need a Power cord for it. But the dual screens don't bother me as much as they initially did in the beginning.

Back to the DS4. That touchpad is an eyesore and needs to be either downright removed or just made bigger as a separate add-on to the DS4 that you don't have to worry about when you aren't using it.

Another thing I noticed. The analog sticks have a more rounded indentation on the bottom of the DS3 in comparison to the DS4. I actually liked it on the DS3 since it looked just like the DS2 which I had been used to for the longest time. Upgrading didn't feel different in the slightest, we just had a new PS button to worry about that you don't even use when gaming, you just use it to close the game and access the XMB menu half the time.

It was a decent resting place for my fingers. When not using the analog stick, my thumb would wrap around that lower indentation comfortably waiting to be used. Whereas when holding the DS4 it's... ultimately less comfortable to me.

https://gyazo.com/817a5a8897238febdc30c46a23b3e97b

Looking here you can see a few other things to discuss. One being - That light. It bothers me. Why does it have to be so big and bright? I preferred the tiny red one on the DS3. It would serve as your indicator when the battery is low, when it is charging, etc. And the light was so miniscule that it did not bother you in the slightest, especially when gaming with all the lights off (that I do most of the time).

The R2 and L2 loadout here look mostly the same as the DS3 by design. But the manner in which they are pressed do feel different. Does it mean it's better? Mmm... seeing as I don't have one to use while I'm in my primary sitting position in my game room to tell how sensitive the buttons are and can only play it at my nephew's house, I can't really say. They just feel different. In a good or bad way I am on the fence about.

The last thing - Do you see that padding on the underside of the DS4? I love it. I love it alot. I wish the DS3 had that.
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.

User Info: hindd92

hindd92
1 month ago#8
The Dualshock 3 is essentially the same as the Dualshock 2, with R2 and L2 being triggers. I keep saying this:

Ken Kutaragi's retirement had a huge impact on the PlayStation brand, for the worse (he wasn't the PS4's architect).

I mean, the Dualshock design was the same since the PS1, why change it? I don't recall a single person complaining during three generations of PlayStation.

The Dualshock 4 isn't bad, but I prefer the previous design. The touchpad was kind of a way to promote the new "all different" controller, but we all know how more and more games dropped it's use. As already mentioned, it's just the regular Select button.

So, in my opinion, I prefer the original, unchanged, Dualshock design. Also, I never had a single problem with the triggers of the Dualshock 3.
I think every game should have full voice acting and plenty of cutscenes. I can't see any other ways to properly tell a story.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: mustad1o

mustad1o
1 month ago#9
It might be nostalgia but i prefer ds1-3 over 4.

rafamaximo
1 month ago#10
@Drethrake
That thing about pressing triggers when resting really bothers me A LOT. Sometimes when checking other stuff up (like picking up a phone call, going to have water, going to bathroom, etc) and resting controller at the couch or even a table, might push triggers too. But that is because R2/L2 weren't really triggers up to PS2. Those were additional, bigger should buttons. I prefer triggers more, as those are more comfortable when playing games requiring constant use of that, they also allow for more precision in regards to how much press you apply... playing a "complicated" game like Armored Core in PS2 was harder.

I agree about DS4 touchpad, useless and squeezed Options (start) button. I also think that Share button is quite useless too, just like whatever social feature Sony introduced in PS4. Other than taking a screenshot here and there (which I can eventually use as Wallpaper for my PS4), no other use for that.

That led light also bothered me at first, as I usually play at night, with all lights off too. But once I figured out you could reduce it, I did. And lowest brightness level makes it almost unnoticeable.

Oh, that padding underside is indeed amazing, controller feels much tighter in our hands because of that. Analog sticks being shorter also helps to that sense. Once I got used to DS4 and got back to DS3, it was like night and day.

My perfect controller setup would be... a DS4 without that f***ing useless touch pad, an actual Select and Options (Start) buttons placed just like in DS3. I would even keep that led, as it looks really cool.

There's no point having that small led indicating controller number as there's a difference about how multiple controllers work in PS3 and PS4. When you use multiple controllers in PS3, all controllers are assigned to the same PS3 user, you can't have more than a single user logged on to PS3 and PSN. But each controller connected to PS4 are assigned to different users, all connected to PSN concurrently.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Dualshock 3 vs Dualshock 4
  • Post New Message