This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Any recommendation for a good JRPG?

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#11
gasperoni posted...
@Drethrake

Wow, thanks a lot for this great overview. I don't know why, but the ones, that seem to be the most appealing are the Trails of Cold Steel Titles and Eternal Sonata, I didn't know that. I think I will give those a closer look,
When it comes to FFXIII, I only played the original title. I have read and seen good things about Xillia, but Berseria makes me having doubts. But Eternal Sonata is also from Bandai and is turn-based. It looks interesting. I will look for reviews about Atelier. I am not sure about KH, the Disney-Characters always turned me off, but maybe I am wrong

From a gameplay perspective Trails of Cold Steel will look and feel alot like a typical Persona/FF/Atelier hybrid. You have weapons to equip, items to buy and use in battle. Typical turn based game. But the story is out of this world and it really gets political. And while Cold Steel technically isn't the first one in this ongoing series, you don't HAVE to play previous series' like Trails in the Sky in order to understand what's going on. But I also recommend the Trails in the Sky series if you end up liking Cold Steel. Prince Olivert of the Cold Steel games is a playable chara in the Sky series.

Eternal Sonata... is beautiful. It's brilliant. It's one of the greatest JRPGs I've ever played IMHO. And it is one I will DEFINITELY want to revisit even with my hefty backlog. The game world and the design of everything down to the musical terminology for the characters (Retto, Beat, Jazz, Falsetto, etc.) down to the appearance of Frederich Chopin himself being in the game. I loved it. The MUSIC is also something that I feel is right up there with the Nier games. It was truly a magickal experience.

The combat system may be turn based, but it's also "timed" persay. I can't really go into detail about how it plays because the combat system evolves as you play through the game. But let's just say you won't be able to just stand there forever and figure out what you want to do when your turn comes around once you're later on into the game.

If I have one gripe with the game. It is the lack of backtracking until NG+ which is a harder difficulty. This PS3 port is a latter port from the original 360 version which is a fair bit easier than Eternal Sonata on PS3. When they ported it over to the PS3, they did away with the "Normal" mode 360 used and made its "Hard" mode the default setting for your first playthrough. Expect a grind if you want to be strong enough to do anything.

Luckily the "Grind" in these games never felt like a grind at all. The combat system was so fun and there's alot of stuff you can do with it. Post-game is also great and I particularly liked a particular dungeon where stuff and things happen... Spoilers. So it will remain stuff and things unless you look for it yourself or directly ask for spoilers.

~~~

Zestiria and by extension Berseria were... innovative at best. But don't worry. Xillia and Xillia 2 continue to have traditional level up systems where you can become OP late game if you feel like it. I never felt OP in Zestiria and boosting stats was annoying as well. But the story and the characters were fantastic for me.

~~~

I know what you may be thinking about KH. But if you want the cheaper versions, just grab 1.5 and 2.5 on PS3 used. You miss out on Dream Drop Distance and a few others. But the one I want you to try out before any others, is the very first one: Kingdom Hearts 1. I'm curious to see what you think about the game.

~~~

Atelier's combat is turn based combat. But there's... alot more to them than that. But I'm out of room to really explain lol. But I particularly enjoyed the Dusk trilogy!

P.S: Star Ocean 4's Combat Makes up for the Characters!
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.

User Info: gasperoni

gasperoni
1 month ago#12
Thanks @Drethrake! I think I will go with the Trails games. Does Cold Steel 2 continue the story or can I play it without playing the first part? If I get a good offer for Eternal Sonata, I will give it a try, too

There are so many Atelier games. Some are very cheap, except the ones you recommend :-D So three games of a trilogy are related to each other?

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#13
gasperoni posted...
Thanks @Drethrake! I think I will go with the Trails games. Does Cold Steel 2 continue the story or can I play it without playing the first part? If I get a good offer for Eternal Sonata, I will give it a try, too

There are so many Atelier games. Some are very cheap, except the ones you recommend :-D So three games of a trilogy are related to each other?

Cold Steel 2 continues DIRECTLY after Cold Steel 1 ends. Cold Steel 3 has a timeskip in between 2 and 3 so you can wait a bit on that one. But I recommend playing 1 and 2 back to back like I did.

~~~~

Each trilogy is related to eachother, but you can play them out of order and not really worry about missing out on something since it uses a different cast of characters mostly in a new region/town for its plot.

However, these games DO have DLC party members, most if not all I highly recommend you pick up because of their usefulness.

In terms of how closely related the cast are to one another:

Ayesha - First in the trilogy, good starting point.

Escha and Logy - I don't think this brings back anyone with the exception of a DLC party member who was in the first game. She's not as directly related to the plot though so you don't have to worry about that. But I do recommend getting her because she's quite strong.

Shallie - One of the cast members has an important role in Ayesha, but you don't need to play it to understand who they are. Another 2 of the DLC party members had significant roles in Escha and Logy, but their roles here are removed enough that you don't need to play Escha and Logy to understand who they are. It's just a nice nod in the event you did play the previous game.
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: gasperoni

gasperoni
1 month ago#14
Drethrake posted...
gasperoni posted...

Cold Steel 2 continues DIRECTLY after Cold Steel 1 ends. Cold Steel 3 has a timeskip in between 2 and 3 so you can wait a bit on that one. But I recommend playing 1 and 2 back to back like I did.

~~~~

Each trilogy is related to eachother, but you can play them out of order and not really worry about missing out on something since it uses a different cast of characters mostly in a new region/town for its plot.

However, these games DO have DLC party members, most if not all I highly recommend you pick up because of their usefulness.

In terms of how closely related the cast are to one another:

Ayesha - First in the trilogy, good starting point.

Escha and Logy - I don't think this brings back anyone with the exception of a DLC party member who was in the first game. She's not as directly related to the plot though so you don't have to worry about that. But I do recommend getting her because she's quite strong.

Shallie - One of the cast members has an important role in Ayesha, but you don't need to play it to understand who they are. Another 2 of the DLC party members had significant roles in Escha and Logy, but their roles here are removed enough that you don't need to play Escha and Logy to understand who they are. It's just a nice nod in the event you did play the previous game.

Thanks, man! I listened to you and right now I am downloading Trails of Cold Steel 1 on the PS4 and purchased Tokyo Xanata Ex+, since it is just 17,99$ right now and seems similar to Persona, when it comes to the setting and social aspects. But I really look forward to Cold Steel and will check that out first ;-) I will definetely come back to this thread from time to time and inform me about the other games listed by you guys.

User Info: aaaaztek84

aaaaztek84
1 month ago#15
I know it's ps3 board but oddly the best jrpg I played that generation was lost Odyssey on 360.

User Info: Aerosoldier

Aerosoldier
1 month ago#16
Valkyria Chronicles and 3D Dot Game Heroes!!!!!!
Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Any recommendation for a good JRPG?
  • Post New Message