This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Any recommendation for a good JRPG?

User Info: gasperoni

gasperoni
1 month ago#1
Hi guys,
I somehow find this forum confusing and I am not sure, if I post this in the right section. If not, then sorry.
I would like to know, if there are good JRPGs on the PS-Consoles, that you could recommend. I finished the Persona-Games 5,4,3FES (in this order) and came to it, because I was so disappointed in FFXV. I like good storylines, interesting characters and social elements and developing relationships and friendships between character. I prefer round based fights, but it is not a must. In the Persona games I loved the social link factor and characters, especially P4. I was thinking about giving Shin Megami Tensei a try, since it is the company, but they seem very different and dungeon oriented. I heard good things about Tales of Xillia, but I recently got Tales of Berseria and I don't like it. This whole running back and forth and stupid random battles. The main character and story seems interesting though, which makes it a waste.
I have watched so many videos on youtube, about JRPG-recommendations, but they were not that helpful. So I decided to ask here, where I can talk directly.
The games can be PS3 and PS4, since I play both systems, consequently they can be downloadable PS1 or PS2- classic titles.
Thank you

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#2
Let me pull out my PS3 RPG collection...

NIER & Nier Automata - These games are part of a Spinoff of the Drakengard Series. It's action RPG oriented and the story is FANTASTIC. But it can get VERY sad, so just keep that in mind! I'd go into further detail but I have alot to cover.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - This game is fantastic. It's everything I wanted in an action oriented RPG. It's technically from Japan but it isn't Anime-style or whatnot. It's very western-influenced. Though Japan or South Korea, I forget which, but one of them has an MMO for Dragon's Dogma. And yes, I strongly recommend getting the Dark Arisen edition for the bonus content.

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International - I never played a Star Ocean game before, but this one is a great introduction since chronologically it's the first in the series. Great game.

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 - Fantastic games. If you liked Persona, you will love these games.

Folklore - Another great hidden gem.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - A great port.

Tales of Zestiria - Going into Berseria without Zestiria is kinda an issue. Because Berseria is technically the sequel/Prequel to Zestiria, Will need this title to understand what's going on. Oh and: Eizen is Edna's big brother. He's the Dragon you fight in Zestiria

Tales of Graces F, Xillia 1-2 - 3 fantastic titles. Not too many liked Xillia, but I LOVED it.

FF13 Trilogy - Solid RPGs, just don't expect fantastic innovative gameplay/content outside of the story.

Resonance of Fate - Another hidden Gem, Gun-Fu Turn based RPG. Very grindy, challenging, decent overall.

Agarest War 1, Zero, and 2 - These games are great Strategy RPGs, they come highly recommended.

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1, MK. 2, and Victory - These are all solid JRPGs that don't have a strong emphasis on story and it's more for the yuks and comedy and gaming references. They are all pretty solid titles.

Fairy Fencer F
- Alot like Neptunia, only this time, you got a Male Protagonist for once.

Dungeon Siege 3 - A great hidden gem. A top down RPG that is alot like Diablo 3.

Eternal Sonata - The PS3 Port has 2 extra playable characters and a bunch of Bonus Content. A Fantastic product.

KH - The Story So Far - This edition on PS4 is a must have for KH fans.

Atelier Ayesha, Escha and Logy, and Shallie - This trilogy is the best Atelier has for the PS3 era and it's a great introduction to their mechanics.

White Knight Chronicles 2 - This game comes with 1 fully playable. And the sequel basically is the part 2 expansion continuing/finishing the game up. If you liked FF12, this game feels alot like it, especially in terms of its OST. Great game IMO.

Drakengard 3 - While not EXACTLY 100% a RPG, it's still part of the original titles that Nier spun off of. But you don't need to play this one to understand Nier, just play it if you like action RPGs and a cool/funny story.

Diablo 3 - Obviously this must be mentioned - The PS4 or PC ports are the best version. I have it on PS3 and it's still equally good, but no Necromancer class on PS3 port.

Sacred 2 - This game was FANTASTIC. It's a MASSIVE map with a CRAPLOAD of content. It took me a month just to explore all of it! Are you a fan of Metal? Well this game features Blind Guardian, the band is actually IN the game with in-game models and you can traverse the world with Hansi!

Valkyria Chronicles - Great turn based strategy RPG/shooter hybrid. Good story, too!
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.

User Info: DualArms

DualArms
1 month ago#3
gasperoni posted...
Hi guys,
I somehow find this forum confusing and I am not sure, if I post this in the right section. If not, then sorry.
I would like to know, if there are good JRPGs on the PS-Consoles, that you could recommend. I finished the Persona-Games 5,4,3FES (in this order) and came to it, because I was so disappointed in FFXV. I like good storylines, interesting characters and social elements and developing relationships and friendships between character. I prefer round based fights, but it is not a must. In the Persona games I loved the social link factor and characters, especially P4. I was thinking about giving Shin Megami Tensei a try, since it is the company, but they seem very different and dungeon oriented. I heard good things about Tales of Xillia, but I recently got Tales of Berseria and I don't like it. This whole running back and forth and stupid random battles. The main character and story seems interesting though, which makes it a waste.
I have watched so many videos on youtube, about JRPG-recommendations, but they were not that helpful. So I decided to ask here, where I can talk directly.
The games can be PS3 and PS4, since I play both systems, consequently they can be downloadable PS1 or PS2- classic titles.
Thank you

Personally, all SMT games on PS2 are worth playing. Despite their hard difficulties, their stories are really interesting as well as having good gameplay.

These games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Hard, brutal, and great post-apocalyptic world. This is the originator of the Turn Press battle system, one of the most innovative battle systems I have ever played. Of course, if dark games do not appeal to you, you should skip this.

SMT: DS: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - Decent game, but not as good as King Abaddon. The story is interesting, at least.

SMT: DS: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - Story is good, but most of all the combat system revamped and improved from the previous Raidou game.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 - Great games. DDS2 should not be played before playing DDS1.

I suggest wait for them to be in sale before making a purchase.
PSN ID: ChaosRaiden999 (Blank Friend Requests will be ignored)
Youtube Channel: https://goo.gl/LJXnb8 | Reviews Blog: https://goo.gl/Qk7uyY
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DarkHalf91

DarkHalf91
1 month ago#4
For PS4 I recommend Shining Resonance Refrain. There is a demo on the PS Store you can try out but you may have to manually search for it on a phone browser or PC.

I personally only have it on Switch but it is pretty good. You may want to watch a review or two to get different opinions on it to see if it is something you would want. Hell it even has romance options if that is your thing and want to date a girl.

EDIT: Here is the demo https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA10946_00-SHININGRESDEMO00
Kutabare
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Yggdrasille

Yggdrasille
1 month ago#5
To add to the aforementioned titles:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll
Lost Dimension
Natural Doctrine
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Battle Princess of Arcadias
Ar noSurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Atelier Arland Trilogy (Rorona Plus, Totori, Meruru)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Ygdrasille.png
Favourite games: Tales of Xillia 1/2, Trails of Cold Steel 1/2, Suikoden V, Shadow Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile 2

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
1 month ago#6
Drethrake just told all you need to know. I can corroborate his opinion on Nier, Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate.

Nier is more of an action game with RPG elements. But it's awesome. It feels pretty much like an old school RPG. It has varied gameplay segments, multiple endings (you have to play through it 4 times to see all endings - but after you see the ending first time, you just need to replay 2nd half of the game). I also like the characters (not Emil though). Story is indeed pretty sad, even dark sometimes, specially the outcome of your actions in the end.

Star Ocean - This game is mostly love or hate it. I like it. Plenty of stuff to do, shiny, beautiful graphics. Cast consist in some good character, some so-so ones and some annoying ones. Story is ok. But gameplay is superb, I like combat system. Overall, most people dislike this game because of a segment in story where main character loses his s***, but it's pretty understandable, when you think about it most younger people would react the same in his place. This game is also a completionist paradise, you could easily go for 500+ hours if trying to 100% it.

Resonance of Fate - It was my favorite RPG in PS3. It's a bit different in it's presentation as story not always spoon feed you all details. You have to actually put some pieces together until it hits you. Game world feels small and cramped, but kinda makes sense due to it's setting. This game really excels in combat system. It's awesome and fun, it not only allows you to take multiple approaches to defeat enemies, it also requires you to actually think before you act in battle. To make things better, this game isn't hard per se, but it's rather unforgiving if you make mistakes during battle. Wast an attack turn and you're in a lot of trouble... waste two and you're probably dead. Just give this game enough time until you figure out how leveling and battle systems work... I did 100% of it (Two story playthroughs, top rank in all arena battles, completed Neverland) and it was really a joy.
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

gasperoni
1 month ago#7
@Drethrake

Wow, thanks a lot for this great overview. I don't know why, but the ones, that seem to be the most appealing are the Trails of Cold Steel Titles and Eternal Sonata, I didn't know that. I think I will give those a closer look,
When it comes to FFXIII, I only played the original title. I have read and seen good things about Xillia, but Berseria makes me having doubts. But Eternal Sonata is also from Bandai and is turn-based. It looks interesting. I will look for reviews about Atelier. I am not sure about KH, the Disney-Characters always turned me off, but maybe I am wrong

gasperoni
1 month ago#8
DualArms posted...
gasperoni posted...
Hi guys,
Thank you

Personally, all SMT games on PS2 are worth playing. Despite their hard difficulties, their stories are really interesting as well as having good gameplay.

These games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - Hard, brutal, and great post-apocalyptic world. This is the originator of the Turn Press battle system, one of the most innovative battle systems I have ever played. Of course, if dark games do not appeal to you, you should skip this.

SMT: DS: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - Decent game, but not as good as King Abaddon. The story is interesting, at least.

SMT: DS: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - Story is good, but most of all the combat system revamped and improved from the previous Raidou game.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 - Great games. DDS2 should not be played before playing DDS1.

I suggest wait for them to be in sale before making a purchase.

Yes, I saw them for 9,99$ each. Good to know, that DDS1 and 2 are connected. They seem more interesting storywise and characterwise compared to Nocturne, right? I don't mind dark games, if it fits and is good

gasperoni
1 month ago#9
rafamaximo posted...
Drethrake just told all you need to know. I can corroborate his opinion on Nier, Star Ocean and Resonance of Fate.

Nier is more of an action game with RPG elements. But it's awesome. It feels pretty much like an old school RPG. It has varied gameplay segments, multiple endings (you have to play through it 4 times to see all endings - but after you see the ending first time, you just need to replay 2nd half of the game). I also like the characters (not Emil though). Story is indeed pretty sad, even dark sometimes, specially the outcome of your actions in the end.

Star Ocean - This game is mostly love or hate it. I like it. Plenty of stuff to do, shiny, beautiful graphics. Cast consist in some good character, some so-so ones and some annoying ones. Story is ok. But gameplay is superb, I like combat system. Overall, most people dislike this game because of a segment in story where main character loses his s***, but it's pretty understandable, when you think about it most younger people would react the same in his place. This game is also a completionist paradise, you could easily go for 500+ hours if trying to 100% it.

Resonance of Fate - It was my favorite RPG in PS3. It's a bit different in it's presentation as story not always spoon feed you all details. You have to actually put some pieces together until it hits you. Game world feels small and cramped, but kinda makes sense due to it's setting. This game really excels in combat system. It's awesome and fun, it not only allows you to take multiple approaches to defeat enemies, it also requires you to actually think before you act in battle. To make things better, this game isn't hard per se, but it's rather unforgiving if you make mistakes during battle. Wast an attack turn and you're in a lot of trouble... waste two and you're probably dead. Just give this game enough time until you figure out how leveling and battle systems work... I did 100% of it (Two story playthroughs, top rank in all arena battles, completed Neverland) and it was really a joy.

I was looking for reviews of these games and for Star Ocean gamespot wrote "An addictive, strategic combat system makes Star Ocean: The Last Hope worth playing despite its cliche storyline and annoying characters." Characters are really important for me in RPGs. The combat system really looks interesting

gasperoni
1 month ago#10
Yggdrasille posted...
To add to the aforementioned titles:

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll
Lost Dimension
Natural Doctrine
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Dragon's Crown
Battle Princess of Arcadias
Ar noSurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Atelier Arland Trilogy (Rorona Plus, Totori, Meruru)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Thanks for the lists. I will give them a closer look online. I only know 5 of them so far :-)
Does anyone know how Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is?
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Any recommendation for a good JRPG?
  • Post New Message