This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Can the PS3 suspend a game like the PS4 when you press the Home button?

User Info: Mrpirate400

Mrpirate400
2 months ago#1
So I playing Valkyria Chronicles and when I press the home button the background keeps playing. The problem is that sometimes I’m in the middle of a scene or a talking scene and I need to suspend or pause the game. On the PS4 when I press the home button it suspends the game and nothing is heard as it takes you to the main menu. With the ps3 I pressed the home button while a scene was going on and it still kept playing. Is there anyway to pause it? Would updating my system work? Like was it a feature that was implemented in the last couple of years. I haven’t updated since late 2014.

User Info: ephman97

ephman97
2 months ago#2
TC, some games permit pausing via the Home button and others (like most multiplayer games) do not. Updating your system will not change things - that feature is either included or not.

You may also want to try the start or select buttons, because sometimes those buttons function as a pause or menu button.

Good luck!
PSN ephman97. Recent favorites: Dark Souls 2 (PS3), Humans (TV), Archer's Goon (novel), Vanguard (fund)

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
2 months ago#3
PS4 does that by default, indeed. I use that a lot when I need to stop during a cutscene or something like that. Anyway, what I do to PS3 sometimes is... instead of pressing home button to bring XMB, I hold it to bring that black screen with options to turn off PS3 / controller or exit game.

That usually works.
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

User Info: wvnative03

wvnative03
1 month ago#4
Some games will, some won't. Just like PS4.
I am an expert regarding the PS3 console, feel free to ask me anything regarding hardware/software or just how certain things work.

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#5
Not all of them. But they will for some. I don't know about all of the "Always Online" games. But I know for Destiny the stuff continues regardless of pressing the PS Button or not.

But for many single player offline games, I noticed if I couldn't pause a cutscene, it'd freeze it if you pressed the PS Button. I can't remember exactly which ones...

Slightly Off Topic: Games that genuinely PAUSE the game still when you press Pause will always be my favourite types of games #IAlwaysGetCalledAwayEvery20MinutesToDoThingsNoRaidsForMe

~~~~~

Oh! I played Valkyria Chronicles. Have you tried Pressing Start? It should pause the cutscene...
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Mrpirate400

Mrpirate400
1 month ago#6
Drethrake posted...

Oh! I played Valkyria Chronicles. Have you tried Pressing Start? It should pause the cutscene...

Yeah I did, but it just skips the scenes.

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
1 month ago#7
Mrpirate400 posted...
Drethrake posted...

Yeah I did, but it just skips the scenes.

Hmm... it's been a while since I played. But there should be a type of "Press X to continue" type of cutscene that's all Comic/Manga Panel-Esque. If I'm not totally remembering this wrong (And I really could be. This was like... 5 years ago? Probably more) then so long as you don't Press X to continue that conversation cutscene, then it won't continue...

... Hold on let me double check my stuff...

- Tic. Tic... Tic.... Brrrrriiiiinnnngggg! -

Jeez, I was way off. No pausing. But apparently the cutscene can be viewed anytime you wish. THAT was the comic panel thing I was thinking of. You missed something? No problem. Scroll back a page and click that cutscene again. It shouldn't make you fight the battle again unless you press the Battle Stage Panel.
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.

User Info: cliq215

cliq215
4 weeks ago#8
The original Ratchet and Clank trilogy does pause when you press the ps button, but you still cant do anything on the XMB.... Idk about deadlocked though....

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
3 weeks ago#9
I hope I'm not remembering wrong, but when they did not add pause to MGS HD collection, I recall being upset that home button did not suspend cutscenes. I'm forever haunted by teenage me being called for dinner just as I'm about to crash into Manhattan.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
1 week ago#10
rafamaximo posted...
PS4 does that by default, indeed. I use that a lot when I need to stop during a cutscene or something like that. Anyway, what I do to PS3 sometimes is... instead of pressing home button to bring XMB, I hold it to bring that black screen with options to turn off PS3 / controller or exit game.

That usually works.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Can the PS3 suspend a game like the PS4 when you press the Home button?
  • Post New Message