This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Technical questions about MGS3 and DMC3 HD versions

User Info: hindd92

hindd92
1 month ago#1
Hi there, how are you guys doing :D?

I'm a hardcore fan of those two games in the title. I'm interested in buying their HD versions for the PS3, however, since I grew up with those games, I know them like that back of my hand.

Can you guys please give me some insight on any changes they've made to the games? Redubs, changes in-game etc. I've watched some gameplay, and seems like they've changed Dante's taunts :(. Is that right?

I think every game should have full voice acting and plenty of cutscenes. I can't see any other ways to properly tell a story.

User Info: revengine

revengine
4 weeks ago#2
Tech analysis from eurogamer (aka digital foundry) on the MGS HD collection:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-metal-gear-remastered
Thinking of yourself as a victim is the first step down a path towards irrelevance and destroying your life.

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
4 weeks ago#3
MGS HD had tons of content removed.

MGS2:
- skateboarding minigame REMOVED
- full in depth interactive documentary of MGS2 REMOVED

MGS3:
- out of sync intro
- visual effects downgrade
- secret theater REMOVED
- Snake vs. Monkey REMOVED (which also means the bonus items that you got for these were also REMOVED)
- Guy Savage part in MGS3 REMOVED
- Boss Duel mode REMOVED
- MGO of course also REMOVED

And tons of other things.

Also see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogD5WXpF0Q

The people behind this port are horrible hacks.

I wouldn't sell my PS2 discs, if I were you.

But at least they are not as horrible as the Silent Hill "HD" s***fest as in completely broken.

Better play your PS2 discs (if you have them) on a PC.
(btw. you can play MGS3 MGO again)
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: RoyalsDK

RoyalsDK
4 weeks ago#4
Wow I thought BluePoint Games were the people to go to for remasters...
"lets be honest.. Vin has kind of made The Rock the star he is. Rock was pretty much a nobody in hollywood until the fast and furious"- JamesOwnzMaz

hindd92
3 weeks ago#5
Thanks for the replies, guys :D.

Those omissions don't bother me, because I never had the original Subsistence version, only that single disc version that came with the 2007 PS2 box. The out of sync intro is a glaring issue, but it doesn't destroy the intro completely, so I'm kind of fine.

Could you elaborate on those "visual effects downgrade"?

What I'm worried the most is the audio department. Like I said, I know every second of those cutscenes and dialogues, so redubs will easily stick out to me. I'm aware of the redubs in MGS2, when Campbell is teaching Raiden the controls, awful. Are there any of those in MGS3?
I think every game should have full voice acting and plenty of cutscenes. I can't see any other ways to properly tell a story.

jimi_dini
3 weeks ago#6
hindd92 posted...
Those omissions don't bother me, because I never had the original Subsistence version, only that single disc version that came with the 2007 PS2 box.

All MGS3 copies on PS2 had the prison nightmare sequence.
That one was not only cut, but also all codec codes regarding that got also removed.

Snake vs. Monkey was also included with all PS2 copies and it got removed and as I said - they couldn't even be bothered to at least add unlocks for the monkey mask.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds

but it doesn't destroy the intro completely, so I'm kind of fine

Ehhh?
The timing is completely off.

As it should be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZdrT8rWD0w

The "HD" incompetent Blue Balls version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx76RGHbfms

I really don't get how no one figured out that they broke the intro of the game.
How hard is it to start the music where it was supposed to start?

Could you elaborate on those "visual effects downgrade"?

Some visual effects were downgraded, some to a point that they are basically removed.
For example rain and depth of field.

Are there any of those in MGS3?

I'm not sure if those re-recordings were done also for PS, but were of course done for 360, because of different controllers.

And I don't really understand. You care very much about a few lines of codec conversations regarding instructions, but on the other hand you do not care about items missing in the game, bonus gameplay and even parts of the regular game being literally removed, which even includes game play?

Oh and wait, there are more:
- Cross hair in MGS3 off center when using night vision
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
(edited 3 weeks ago)

hindd92
3 weeks ago#7
I completely agree with you, the intro should be an easy fix through a patch.

Regarding the Guy Savage and Snake vs Monkey mini-games; I never actually played Snake vs Monkey, and from what I've seen, it's not my thing. Guy Savage was a fun thing at first, but after a while it lost its fun to me.

I care about the main game itself, the story. But I'm very grateful for your help :).

Would you have some insight about DMC3?

User Info: yahya_no1

yahya_no1
3 weeks ago#8
While I agree the small things we lost from the original games is a shame

The HD remasters are amazing, they have been done really well

having said that, it is now the lamest thing for MGS3 to scare you into not saving or something bad will happen, then when you do so, instead of Guy Savage mini game coming up, nothing happens, making that the biggest letdown of all the Easter eggs in the game.

For DMC3 HD, Capcom didn't spend much on this one, it was a lazy HD remaster
(edited 3 weeks ago)

jimi_dini
3 weeks ago#9
hindd92 posted...
Would you have some insight about DMC3?

Sorry no.
I haven't bought it. The only game I would actually be interested in is DMC1. I get platinum for all the games I purchased, and I can still remember my time getting through Dante Must Die (and some of it was a chore).

I heard the videos of DMC1 are low res.

hindd92
2 weeks ago#10
I've bought them both, here are my impressions:

Devil May Cry 3: It's good overall. The upscaled FMVs are a little uncomfortable, yes, but the overall package and HD quality are great.

Metal Gear Solid 3: I was blown away. Superb remaster, great quality overall.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Technical questions about MGS3 and DMC3 HD versions