This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Do you see PS3 as a failure?

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
1 month ago#31
The PS3 for me, was absolutely the best gaming console/gen by far, until the PS4 came out and beat it.

Some of my favourite games are FF, MGS, Tekken, GT, Tomb Raid, Devil May Cry, God of War, etc.

All of these have been available on the PS2, PS3 and PS4.

PS3 also introduced me to games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, Assassin’s Creed, Dragon Age, Borderlands, Diablo, etc. The list goes on.

PS4 then came out and added to the above with sequels and with new games like Horizon, Watch Dogs, Destiny, etc. Again, the list goes on.

So yeh, like I said above, the PS3 was the best console gen ever, until the PS4 came out and beat it.

User Info: AlphaOmega786

AlphaOmega786
1 month ago#32
xOmniCloudx posted...
PS2 was a sales anomaly. Hell, a lot of its sales came from being the first available affordable DVD player and then it stayed on the market for 15 or so years before it ceased production. Very few things are ever going to touch the PS2, period so most anything looks like a failure or underperformer next to it.

PS2 isn’t a sales anomaly, it actually sold 150 million over a 10 year period. In fact, it had only sold around 90 million units over 6 years, 120 million units sold over 8 years and 150 million, as mentioned above, over 10 years.

So, the PS4 has already beat it in terms of sales pace, having sold 100 million already and it’s not even 6 years yet. This is despite Microsoft and Nintendo having a much stronger hold this gen, than they had in the PS2 era.

User Info: RapidDarkness

RapidDarkness
1 month ago#33
I hardly know anyone that had a ps3. Everyone had 360s. I got one in 2013 and realised it was a decent machine, superior in many ways as the all-round entertainment hub especially with the free online. I think it did its job, hanging on the ropes until PS4 could regain the upper hand.
I wear no mask.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
1 month ago#34
I think PS3 owners had an insane amount of great games to play but the console was a financial disaster for Sony and lost them the massive grip they had on the console industry. It's also the only gen in their active history where the PlayStation's library hasn't steamrolled the competition in my personal opinion.

A failure but also a great console to own for many and with arguably a better library than the PS1 and PS2. However, you could also buy a different console (Xbox 360) to play most of that library. The same couldn't be said for PS1 and PS2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQULHzs-8c

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
1 month ago#35
AlphaOmega786 posted...
xOmniCloudx posted...
PS2 was a sales anomaly. Hell, a lot of its sales came from being the first available affordable DVD player and then it stayed on the market for 15 or so years before it ceased production. Very few things are ever going to touch the PS2, period so most anything looks like a failure or underperformer next to it.

PS2 isn’t a sales anomaly, it actually sold 150 million over a 10 year period. In fact, it had only sold around 90 million units over 6 years, 120 million units sold over 8 years and 150 million, as mentioned above, over 10 years.

So, the PS4 has already beat it in terms of sales pace, having sold 100 million already and it’s not even 6 years yet. This is despite Microsoft and Nintendo having a much stronger hold this gen, than they had in the PS2 era.

Most consoles top out under HALF that in the same time period. That's the definition of an anomaly. PS4 nor Switch are going to reach those numbers. Japan ruins that for PS4 and stiff competition ruins that for Switch. I see Switch majorly slowing down once the new PS and Xbox are out.
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
(edited 1 month ago)
I wouldn't say it's a failure, but I was underwhelmed by it.

PS3 was my least played console from that generation, and my least played Sony device period(yes, even less than PSP and Vita).
NES | SNES | N64 | GC | Wii | Switch | GBA | DS | 3DS | Saturn | DC | PS1 | PS2 | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | Vita | Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox One
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Do you see PS3 as a failure?