This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Trying to buy a PS3

User Info: RedNavySailor

RedNavySailor
2 months ago#1
I have a PS3 Slim but of course it contracted the infamous Disc Read Error with Blu Ray discs. I was looking at prices online and I'm okay with GameStop's prices, but I don't really feel safe buying from them considering the horror stories I've heard of people who bought refurbished systems from them. I tried looking on Amazon and they seem unreliable too (less than 4 star reviews, around the same price as GameStop or more). So then I looked at repairing options and they seem to cost $150+ for my problem.

Is there any good, reliable place I can buy a working PS3 from? I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't, it's unfortunate timing that my PS3 decided to act up just as they're being phased out.
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsAX7yRpKJUSwSWuMRcW9QA

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
2 months ago#2
Maybe buying an used one in good condition from someone ia a good option for you? A pawn shop or something like that?
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
2 months ago#3
Mine from gamestop is over 2 years and still pretty good
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 USun: Stella; UMoon: Frosty; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: PhantomStranja

PhantomStranja
2 months ago#4
I work for gamestop, the horror stories are grately exagerated for views online. Remember gamestop offers a full refund if you arent satisfied. Go in, and ask to see a few of their options before you buy, have htem open the box and find one to your satisfaction. ITs used, so its guaranteed to work and if you arent happy just get your money back.

User Info: Waluigi_FOREVER

Waluigi_FOREVER
2 months ago#5
I bought mine from GameStop too and will also say the horror stories are grossly over exaggerated. Mine's still working fine. It would also probably be much cheaper to just replace your Blu-ray drive too. It's seriously a simple fix. Just buy the drive your system needs and do it yourself. Shouldn't cost very much.
2600|5200|Lynx|Master System|Genesis|Saturn|Dreamcast|Gamegear |PS1|PS2|PS3|PSP|NES|SNES|N64|GCN|Wii|Wii U|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|3DS|Xbox|Xbox 360|Xbox One|3DO

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 months ago#6
What’s wrong with eBay from a reputable seller?

User Info: GuardianLegendX

GuardianLegendX
2 months ago#7
Just return the system if it’s broken.
GT: wTATERSprecious Pawn: Kokoa Shuzen
Playing: Ginga Force, PSP2:Infinity, EO4, Caladrius

User Info: ThrillKillFan

ThrillKillFan
2 months ago#8
Waluigi_FOREVER posted...
I bought mine from GameStop too and will also say the horror stories are grossly over exaggerated. Mine's still working fine. It would also probably be much cheaper to just replace your Blu-ray drive too. It's seriously a simple fix. Just buy the drive your system needs and do it yourself. Shouldn't cost very much.

This is the best course of action if you ask me. Why? Because in the past couple of gens it seems like your average consumer has taken to using their consoles for everything and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Every time I look on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace I think my shock level can go no higher in regards to the s*** condition electronics people try to pass off as 'like new'. Then I get shocked even more and just shake my head. Whether it's the s*** encrusted fat PS2's that people pass off as used-good to the PS3's and PS4's that look like somebody took a box cutter to the surface of while shaking out their vacuums bag right over top of them and everything in between I just cringe.
I'm not loyal to any company or brand, especially the Cult Of Houser(GTA games) or Sony(PS3/PS4/etc). Defending corporations is absurd.

User Info: GalOfThunder

GalOfThunder
2 months ago#9
Pawn Shop.
GameStop sucks.
Freeze? When I drop a Fairy you know I am only getting started!

User Info: Atarifanboy1977

Atarifanboy1977
2 months ago#10
Buy a superslim from GameStop. the super Slim's feel cheaper but they are not. They are newer and often have less wear.
Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Trying to buy a PS3
  • Topic Archived