This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Need a NEW controller

User Info: Drethrake

Drethrake
4 months ago#21
ThrillKillFan posted...
@Drethrake

Not to mention that any official controllers that are pre-owned have an untold number of charge/drain cycles left. So unless you can buy new you may be getting something that'll last you a handful of months or so.

I know the Dualshock 3 that came with my slim PS3 I sold to a buddy of mine lasted until around 2014 or 2015 and that was after buying the slim pretty much at launch. So it lasted around six years of near constant charge/drain cycles.

If getting the L2/R2 triggers back in the exact right spots wasn't such a pain I'd have probably kept that controller when I swapped it out for a new one for him and replaced the battery with an aftermarket one as the buttons still worked fine but the controller itself would go spastic from time to time making phantom button presses out of nowhere.

Mmm. I use my current controller wired so I don't really have to worry about charge/recharge cycles. But I know what you mean. A simple fix though would be to change the internal battery of the DS3 controller.

The very first ps3 controller I had outlasted the console itself, and I almost always used it wireless. It's working now in 2019 when I got it used in 2010. They last a long time.
I'm a Writer and also a Gamer.

User Info: GuardianLegendX

GuardianLegendX
4 months ago#22
Drethrake posted...
ThrillKillFan posted...
@Drethrake

Not to mention that any official controllers that are pre-owned have an untold number of charge/drain cycles left. So unless you can buy new you may be getting something that'll last you a handful of months or so.

I know the Dualshock 3 that came with my slim PS3 I sold to a buddy of mine lasted until around 2014 or 2015 and that was after buying the slim pretty much at launch. So it lasted around six years of near constant charge/drain cycles.

If getting the L2/R2 triggers back in the exact right spots wasn't such a pain I'd have probably kept that controller when I swapped it out for a new one for him and replaced the battery with an aftermarket one as the buttons still worked fine but the controller itself would go spastic from time to time making phantom button presses out of nowhere.

Mmm. I use my current controller wired so I don't really have to worry about charge/recharge cycles. But I know what you mean. A simple fix though would be to change the internal battery of the DS3 controller.

The very first ps3 controller I had outlasted the console itself, and I almost always used it wireless. It's working now in 2019 when I got it used in 2010. They last a long time.

I took out the batteries and just went wired. I was waaaay too lazy to order and replace the batteries. Haha
GT: wTATERSprecious Pawn: Kokoa Shuzen
Playing: Ginga Force, PSP2:Infinity, EO4, Caladrius

User Info: E2I_GOD

E2I_GOD
4 months ago#23
Ok so i just bought a new ps4 controller with a 2 year warranty for 54 dollars from wallyworld, i couldnt find a new DS3 within 100 miles in stores. Im guessing im just late to the party, the last console i got was a ps3 and im still enjoying it, most of my games are on steam for PC.
Even on amazon there is a ton of fake DS3 controllers :(

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 months ago#24
GuardianLegendX posted...
Drethrake posted...
ThrillKillFan posted...
@Drethrake

I took out the batteries and just went wired. I was waaaay too lazy to order and replace the batteries. Haha

buttons still worked fine but the controller itself would go spastic from time to time making phantom button presses out of nowhere

This is a rather easy to fix issue. Eventually this controller will go absolutely crazy, to the point it will be unusable. All you gotta do is open it up and replace / tape a small piece of foam (or something like that, not sure what's that material exactly). This video shows up how to do it, jump to 2:55 if you know how to open a controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY4rLTpnX2U

Pretty easy to fix and also you take the chance to clean up your controllers inside. Win-win.
Just pay attention and take care to shoulder/trigger buttons, as those are somewhat tricky to assemble back... once you do it once, you get the hang of it.

E2I_GOD posted...
Ok so i just bought a new ps4 controller with a 2 year warranty for 54 dollars from wallyworld, i couldnt find a new DS3 within 100 miles in stores. Im guessing im just late to the party, the last console i got was a ps3 and im still enjoying it, most of my games are on steam for PC.
Even on amazon there is a ton of fake DS3 controllers :(

Did you really expect finding brand new controllers for a system released over 10 years ago, which is no longer produced? Your best (and only) bet is buying used ones, unfortunately. Be aware that a PS4 controller won't work with 100% of PS3 games, some have issues and are unplayable using a PS4 controller
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
4 months ago#25
rafamaximo posted...
Hard to find brande new controllers, I'd say it's even impossible.

Nope still available $100 upwards

For the black ones, if you want other color starts at $150 -

But what's really the point when they break within a year or so anyways (depending on how much you play obviously)
It's probably better to buy a used one and hope it'll last for a bit...

Funny enough out of the 20 or so DualShock 3 controllers I used to have only two still function properly, one "first gen" silver DS3 (with the low capacity batteries) still holds charge fine too...

And one see through dark blue that's unused which came with my limited edition PS3 slim (well I guess it still works, only used it once to test)

PS: I also still have a couple of like brand-new Six Axis controllers, but I hate controllers without rumble... Probably sell them some times, who knows what they'll be worth (probably not much as they have no rumble lol)
J-Pop

User Info: ThrillKillFan

ThrillKillFan
4 months ago#26
@rafamaximo

Except that I TRIED opening, cleaning and removing the old worn out battery to try replacing it with a different one on about three Dualshock 3's.

Between the unusual little 'tabs' of plastic between the L1/L2 and R1/R2 button assemblies that you had to try getting in just right to those annoying 'springs' (more like paper clips turned inside out) for L2 and R2 I just gave up on trying to fix any of them. It's why I'm glad I have 10+ 'spare' Dualshock 3's sitting here. Once one fails I can just dump it as is to whoever for $X as a fixer upper and be done with it and go onto the next one.

@GuardianLegendX

I don't know how you did that with a Dualshock 3 as I tried that with the one. It did NOT work one bit without the battery in it. Unless maybe they've changed the way they work and this was a newer one. But I tried this with the DS3 that came with my launch model slim I sold to a buddy for $100 in 2010 and it was a no go.
I'm not loyal to any company or brand, especially the Cult Of Houser(GTA games) or Sony(PS3/PS4/etc). Defending corporations is absurd.

User Info: GuardianLegendX

GuardianLegendX
4 months ago#27
ThrillKillFan posted...
@rafamaximo

Except that I TRIED opening, cleaning and removing the old worn out battery to try replacing it with a different one on about three Dualshock 3's.

Between the unusual little 'tabs' of plastic between the L1/L2 and R1/R2 button assemblies that you had to try getting in just right to those annoying 'springs' (more like paper clips turned inside out) for L2 and R2 I just gave up on trying to fix any of them. It's why I'm glad I have 10+ 'spare' Dualshock 3's sitting here. Once one fails I can just dump it as is to whoever for $X as a fixer upper and be done with it and go onto the next one.

@GuardianLegendX

I don't know how you did that with a Dualshock 3 as I tried that with the one. It did NOT work one bit without the battery in it. Unless maybe they've changed the way they work and this was a newer one. But I tried this with the DS3 that came with my launch model slim I sold to a buddy for $100 in 2010 and it was a no go.

I know there was a few revisions so maybe they changed it? I have 5 DualShock 3’s. Four of them do not have batteries and work off USB. One still has a battery.

This might sound silly. Did you power the system on manually? The controller won’t power the system on without a battery. Once turned on controller works normally.
GT: wTATERSprecious Pawn: Kokoa Shuzen
Playing: Ginga Force, PSP2:Infinity, EO4, Caladrius

ThrillKillFan
4 months ago#28
I know there was a few revisions so maybe they changed it? I have 5 DualShock 3’s. Four of them do not have batteries and work off USB. One still has a battery.

This might sound silly. Did you power the system on manually? The controller won’t power the system on without a battery. Once turned on controller works normally.

No. I guess I didn't realize I'd have to manually power on the system in order to use it. Now I'm annoyed that I didn't keep that one after removing the battery.
I'm not loyal to any company or brand, especially the Cult Of Houser(GTA games) or Sony(PS3/PS4/etc). Defending corporations is absurd.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 months ago#29
ThrillKillFan posted...

Wait... so you just removed a battery/inserted a new one and still wouldn't work? So your problem was probably never battery... it was probably something in USB port... or even battery slot. Those "springs" in R2/L2 are rather easy to put back once you figure out... I can't think of a good way to describe how you should place those... from your perspective, it should look like it's "upside down"... there are videos on that too.
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

ThrillKillFan
4 months ago#30
rafamaximo posted...
Wait... so you just removed a battery/inserted a new one and still wouldn't work? So your problem was probably never battery... it was probably something in USB port... or even battery slot. Those "springs" in R2/L2 are rather easy to put back once you figure out... I can't think of a good way to describe how you should place those... from your perspective, it should look like it's "upside down"... there are videos on that too.

@rafamaximo

I tried removing the old one to see if I could use it wired WITHOUT a battery in it. But I stupidly thought the USB cable would provide enough power to the controller with no battery in it to let me use it to turn on the console.

According to GuardianLegendX you can use the Dualshock 3's without a battery in it, which I never knew you could do. Although one of the newer model Dualshock 3's I bought ($13 from a Kmart as they purged the gaming section) got a bent USB connector because the one official charging cable (one from the big, thick HDMI and super long charging cable pack) didn't fit into the charging slot properly and I ended up forcing it a bunch of times.

So that one definitely had USB issues. But the one that I took back from a buddy and gave him a new one would go spastic at times with phantom button presses and everything but would run fine at first usually. That one was the one I removed the battery from.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Need a NEW controller
  • Topic Archived