This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. How do I add an external hard drive to my PS3?

User Info: Jx1010

Jx1010
3 weeks ago#1
I just realized today that u cant buy PS3s anymore, so I want to store some ps3 digital games in a external hard drive.
What size its recommended?
Do I need to format the drive?
Anything else I should know?

User Info: suikoden2k3

suikoden2k3
3 weeks ago#2
Not possible. The PS3 doesn't allow running and storing digital games on an external. You can back up your data to an external tho. The drive would need to be formatted to FAT32.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
3 weeks ago#3
suikoden2k3 posted...
Not possible. The PS3 doesn't allow running and storing digital games on an external. You can back up your data to an external tho. The drive would need to be formatted to FAT32.

This. You can't use it like you do in PS4, what you can do is make a backup to an external drive. But I don't think you should be worried about this now, how come you can't buy a PS3 anymore? It's almost like PS2 at this point, a lot out there pretty cheap. Unless you're talking about brand new systems
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

User Info: Jx1010

Jx1010
3 weeks ago#4
rafamaximo posted...
suikoden2k3 posted...

This. You can't use it like you do in PS4, what you can do is make a backup to an external drive. But I don't think you should be worried about this now, how come you can't buy a PS3 anymore? It's almost like PS2 at this point, a lot out there pretty cheap. Unless you're talking about brand new systems

I looked it up last night and didnt find any new ones.
Im afraid to buy one used and then end up having it break down

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
2 weeks ago#5
rafamaximo posted...
how come you can't buy a PS3 anymore

They haven't been in manufacturing for some time at this point. Used only for the most part these days.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
2 weeks ago#6
Jx1010 posted...
I looked it up last night and didnt find any new ones.
Im afraid to buy one used and then end up having it break down

Well, pretty sure you can get one used from a store that has a good return policy for used goods. If you pick up slims CECH-3001A and above, you are probably good since those are the most reliable ones.

deprofundis442 posted...
rafamaximo posted...
how come you can't buy a PS3 anymore

They haven't been in manufacturing for some time at this point. Used only for the most part these days.

I haven't really been looking for PS3s for quite sometime. Thought maybe Walmart / Target would still have a few of those for $149
Want people to not like you? Speak the truth.

User Info: WizardofHoth

WizardofHoth
2 weeks ago#7
Stores like Walmart still have Playstation 3 consoles besides the Playstation 4.

They're in the damn glass cabinet videogame aisle.

Go freakin look

User Info: Raven025

Raven025
2 weeks ago#8
WizardofHoth posted...
Stores like Walmart still have Playstation 3 consoles besides the Playstation 4.

They're in the damn glass cabinet videogame aisle.

Go freakin look

Most locations do not carry PS3 consoles anymore...haven't seen a Ps3 new in years

User Info: WizardofHoth

WizardofHoth
2 weeks ago#9
look harder, Raven.

Jeezum

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
1 week ago#10
🤔
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. How do I add an external hard drive to my PS3?