This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Siren: Blood Curse

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Siren: Blood Curse

User Info: art_of_the_kill

art_of_the_kill
3 months ago#1
I just realized that this game is nearing its tenth anniversary. I remember playing the demo way back in July of 2008 and thinking it seemed like a good horror game. However, I never went as far as to actually buy it, as other games I wanted overshadowed it, and I just sort of forgot about it as the years went on.

So ten years later, I'm wondering if it's finally time to amend that. How does it stack up today? Worth a buy?
Assassin's Creed (yes, the first one) is one of my favorite games from Gen 7.

User Info: Varron

Varron
3 months ago#2
Totally forgot I owned a physical copy of this game. The controls are pretty dated, even at the time, but I think it's worth a playthrough if you're a fan of the survival horror genre. The best parts of the game IMO is hiding from the monsters and shibito.
A toast to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!
PS4/PS3 Gamer

User Info: hindd92

hindd92
3 months ago#3
I've played a good amount of the original PS2 Siren, and fully played the PS3 Siren:

1 - The PS2 game had that weird structure to the chapters which made it very confusing and frustrating to complete and understand the story properly. I really enjoy non-linear storytelling (I'm a huge Christopher Nolan fan), but the way that game used it was very "crummy", you had to search for minuscule details to set the "next" story segment in motion.

In the PS3 game, the chapters are linear (1, 2, 3 etc), the story still hops back and forth, but you don't have to activate tiny details to understand the main story. The progression is linear.

2 - Though the game is still more stealth oriented than horror (compared to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, for example), the progression feels better thanks to the more linear structure.

3 - The soundtrack is better and way more present in the PS3 game, which adds a whole lot to the overall atmosphere. I don't recall listening any music in the PS2 game.

In the end, I'd say the PS3 reimagining is way better than the original.
I think every game should have full voice acting and plenty of cutscenes. I can't see any other ways to properly tell a story.

User Info: RapidDarkness

RapidDarkness
3 months ago#4
If it still has that 'sightjack' mechanic then it's worth a look. Pretty creepy sightjacking a heavy-breathing shibito as he's searching for you.
I wear no mask.

User Info: Box Of Rain

Box Of Rain
3 months ago#5
Definitely worth a buy, TC. The game gets seriously freaky as it goes on, and there are some nicely done plot twists in the storyline. The sightjack mechanic remains. It's leaps and bounds better than the original PS2 game, which shot itself in the foot with an insanely difficult focus on stealth.
--walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead dreams to another land--Hunter/Garcia

User Info: Haoie

Haoie
3 months ago#6
FS 2 is by far the best of the series.

This didn't get a NTSC US release, unfortunately for you folks.
PlayStation enthusiast/collector, from PS1 to PS3!

User Info: TRMDYL

TRMDYL
3 months ago#7
It's still pretty much worth playing if you're into Japanese horror but from what I remember the terrible framerate was a real pain to deal with.
"Touch Your Eyeballs To Screen For Cheap Laser Surgery."

User Info: Shadows In Time

Shadows In Time
3 months ago#8
Haoie posted...
FS 2 is by far the best of the series.

This didn't get a NTSC US release, unfortunately for you folks.

Oh, I know.

I've been pining to play the sequel since 2005. Was very bummed when it got cancelled a year later for the north american market, as I really enjoyed the first game, as frustrating as it could be at times. Options of importing the second game, a European PS2 console, and a Pal format television in 2005 was not worth the time or money to invest in for one game back then. It was also printed on a dual-layer DVD, a disc format that could not be read by Swap Magic, so to me, it was always the one game that got away.

If I could get a computer to emulate and play it fast enough/well enough, I would have done so already, but mine just doesn't run PS2 games well, so I hope for an HD collection one day, if ever.

We also didn't get the Gregory Horror Show, which is such a strange, but interestingly underrated gem of a horror game.
"For every action there is an opposite overreaction" - the internet

User Info: Haoie

Haoie
3 months ago#9
Excellent choice on Gregory, another quirky horror not quite suitable for kids.

So none of these got PSN releases? If yes- What a shame.

Regionally some NTSC only titles eventually got on PSN, like Suikoden III.

Haoie
PlayStation enthusiast/collector, from PS1 to PS3!

User Info: Shadows In Time

Shadows In Time
3 months ago#10
Yeah, I've been checking every once in awhile, but have never seen FS2 or GHS listed on the store.

Thinking about it now, modern hd tvs support both formats, and PS2s are very cheap now. Probably could look into importing a console now, if I get the time.

And yeah, I've read that many games that weren't originally released for the PAL region finally got put on the PSN, mostly in SquareSoft RPGs, so was glad other people could finally get to play those. It was about time, really.
"For every action there is an opposite overreaction" - the internet
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Siren: Blood Curse

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived