This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG review/recommendation - please help.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. JRPG review/recommendation - please help.

User Info: marcelloc2

marcelloc2
6 months ago#1
Hi, everyone!

So, I like JRPGs and I am having trouble to choose the next one I'll play.

I am a really big fan of FF VI to X (IX is my favorite by far) and I was looking for something that resembles those games, that is, enjoyable story, memorable characters you can bond with, good and fun sidequests (chocobos, cards, excalibur 2...), optional hard bosse,s all that stuff, even if the battle system isn't revolutionary or something.

In the genre, I also really like Kindom Hearts and I had a great time playing ni no kuni.

I have read/watched many reviews, but I haven't decided which game I should choose to play next.

So, I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

Those are the options I can go with:

- Star ocean - The last Hope;
- Eternal Sonata;
- Tales of Grace F
- Tales of Symphonia
- Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel;
- Resonance of Fate;
- Disgaea D2;
- The guided Fate Paradox.

So, I need advice: with all that said, which game do you people think I should play next?

Other ps3 suggestions are very welcome, but I am really looking for something FF-ish (I have played FFXIII and it was ok).

PLease help =]
Uh... Um... Yeah. I bought my ticket from a moogle wearing a hat...

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
6 months ago#2
FF6-10 was a great era but those days are gone.

A lot of people really liked Persona 5 and I won't say I hated it although I really found it to be an inferior clone of Persona 5 in most ways.

You listed Disgaea D2 and I found it to be a nice little distraction of a game but it's kind of a 'miniature' Disgaea, so for a much more complete experience I'd recommend Disgaea 4. Either way, Disgaea is absolutely nothing like Final Fantasy and is a completely different type of game.

I basically popped in here to recommend Ni no Kuni, which you've already played. In my opinion the PS3 has a poor selection of RPGs so my suggestion would be to look back and see if you missed any classics such as Suikoden 1 and 2 or Breath of Fire 3 and 4. Suikoden 2 is a PSX RPG that's still considered by many to be the best Japanese RPG ever made.

marcelloc2
6 months ago#3
ElDudorino posted...
FF6-10 was a great era but those days are gone.

A lot of people really liked Persona 5 and I won't say I hated it although I really found it to be an inferior clone of Persona 5 in most ways.

You listed Disgaea D2 and I found it to be a nice little distraction of a game but it's kind of a 'miniature' Disgaea, so for a much more complete experience I'd recommend Disgaea 4. Either way, Disgaea is absolutely nothing like Final Fantasy and is a completely different type of game.

I basically popped in here to recommend Ni no Kuni, which you've already played. In my opinion the PS3 has a poor selection of RPGs so my suggestion would be to look back and see if you missed any classics such as Suikoden 1 and 2 or Breath of Fire 3 and 4. Suikoden 2 is a PSX RPG that's still considered by many to be the best Japanese RPG ever made.

Thanks so much for the reply!
That is the very kind of answer I am looking for.

User Info: badboy

badboy
6 months ago#4
I finished the first four games in your list. Graces is clearly the best one, then Symphonia, then Star Ocean, and then Eternal Sonata. I enjoyed all four games and recommend them.
For Trails of Cold Steel, I plan to get it soon but maybe for Vita or PC. I believe that it is more similar to the classic games you mentioned as your fav.
For Resonance of Fate, I did not like it at all but some people love it. It's probably a hit or miss.
Disgaea is not my thing, but I only played the original one on PS2 and did not enjoy it.
Not interested in Guided Fate Paradox, I have no opinion on it.

I recommend Xillia 1 & 2 as well. They're almost as good as Graces

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
6 months ago#5
No problem... I just realized I said Persona 5 is an inferior clone of Persona 5, when I meant to say it's an inferior clone of Persona 4. But hey.

marcelloc2
6 months ago#6
badboy posted...
I finished the first four games in your list. Graces is clearly the best one, then Symphonia, then Star Ocean, and then Eternal Sonata. I enjoyed all four games and recommend them.
For Trails of Cold Steel, I plan to get it soon but maybe for Vita or PC. I believe that it is more similar to the classic games you mentioned as your fav.
For Resonance of Fate, I did not like it at all but some people love it. It's probably a hit or miss.
Disgaea is not my thing, but I only played the original one on PS2 and did not enjoy it.

Good, I'll take note. Thanks you so much!

marcelloc2
6 months ago#7
marcelloc2 posted...
badboy posted...

Good, I'll take note. Thanks you so much!

I read reviews saying Symphonia was the best, but I definitely can give Xillia a try.

User Info: badboy

badboy
6 months ago#8
Symphonia is the FF7 of the Tales series (i.e. the fanbase in general loves it the most) and like FF7 it is the first 3D entry in the series and the first to have significantly better sales & marketing (the two games were also the first to be released in Europe). So it is no wonder that many people will recommend it, but I don't think new players will enjoy it as much as those fans. The newer Tales games improved the gameplay in almost all aspects making Symphonia a bit outdated.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
6 months ago#9
If your options are those games listed, I'd say you should definitely check Resonance of Fate first. It's by far the most interesting RPG I've played in several years. The battle system is unique and very fun. Sure, that game has it's flaws... like, story is not fully fleshed out (you have to figure out some things out yourself as they are only hinted but not thrown in your face) and game world feels small (which actually makes sense into game story). But besides that, everything is good, really, really good. This game is worth for combat alone.

Star Ocean is not nearly as bad as some people claim it to be, it's solid in everything. People complain about main character and his reaction during a certain catastrophic event on plot, to which he feels responsible for. But I believe his reaction fits perfeclty for a boy in his teens who has a great sense of justice and responsibility who just got indeed a huge load of responsibility over his back. Other downside of this game (which I agree) is that some characters are just annoying... 'kay? But graphics are colorful, shiny and beautiful, you can explore lots of different areas... this game is very long, it's a completionist heaven, you can take over 500 hours to do 100% there's to do/collect in this game.

Disgaea D2 is a great entry in Disgaea series and improved everything over previous games in gameplay department. But even though the original cast is back from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, story is nowhere near as good as in that one, actually first Disgaea has a very deep plot (much deeper than one would expect from a "joke" game) and Disgaea 2 has a decent plot too, the others are subpar in this department. But in the end, it's more of the same, which we love in Disgaea: lots of time put into item world and Cave of Ordeals. Item world is much more interesting this time and stats have been raised to obscene numbers this time around. Things like adjusting enemy item, total exp / mana / money / weapon / skill mastery are all adjustable through a cheat shop instead of dark assembly, which is still present. And that's it, if you played a Disgaea game before, you'll know what it is.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: Lamace

Lamace
6 months ago#10
Trails of Cold Steel, then immediately follow that up with Cold Steel 2. The first game does have a slow pace to it, and sort of feels like the prologue to the "real" story in 2, but it's such a good game, that it's worth it, and will make 2 all the more powerful and worthwhile. To me, these two games are easily the best traditional RPG's on the system. Highly recommended.

Just be sure to not look at anything in 2 before you finish 1. Even the intro to 2 is filled with story spoilers.
RPG terms I use;
Traditional RPG, Advanced RPG, Action RPG, Strategy RPG, and Hybrid RPG
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. JRPG review/recommendation - please help.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived