This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about deleting downloaded PSN games yet keeping save files

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Question about deleting downloaded PSN games yet keeping save files

User Info: renzokuken99

renzokuken99
1 month ago#1
I know this sounds like the question you probably get on this board every day, but I can't find a 100% solid answer.

I downloaded Aliens Colonial Marines on sale recently just to try it out. I beat the campaign and unlocked a bunch of stuff. I'm going to get the DLC when it goes on sale to check it out too, but I want to delete the game for now and download it later when/if that ever happens.

Can I save my unlocked items, campaign progress, etc etc? If I just delete the game icon itself from the Games list on my PS3 will it save all these files?

PS- what's the difference between "Saved Data" and "Game Data" in the PS3 menu? (ie, when you scroll up on the games list instead of down and has these two options separately)

PPS- I just noticed the saved data says "[game name]... (Digital)" in theSaved Data Utility (PS3) folder. If I erase this downloaded game but later buy it as a hardcopy retail game, is this save data no longer applicable?
1/11 dupe

User Info: kingdrake2

kingdrake2
1 month ago#2
save/game data will still be there if the application gets deleted.

vita will delete all saves unless its saved to the cloud first.
I'd hate to be that guy. he'll be dodging freak accidents for the rest of his life now. Final Destination rules - RickyTheBAWSE

User Info: rswsc0407

rswsc0407
1 month ago#3
Game data is things like partial installs(to make loading faster) patches and dlc. The save data is your save files.
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407

User Info: V I C I O U S

V I C I O U S
1 month ago#4
renzokuken99 posted...

PPS- I just noticed the saved data says "[game name]... (Digital)" in theSaved Data Utility (PS3) folder. If I erase this downloaded game but later buy it as a hardcopy retail game, is this save data no longer applicable?

I have heard of this happening with some games... sorry I can't remember a specific example, but there are cases where a digital copy's save file and a physical copy's save file are mutually exclusive - even on the same system. Vice versa, I feel less sure but somewhat positive that there are cases where the opposite is true and you can share save files across digital and physical copies of games. If anyone could clarify I'd appreciate it.
"Liking is probably the best form of ownership, and ownership the worst form of liking" - Jose Saramago
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Question about deleting downloaded PSN games yet keeping save files

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived