This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Samsung 4k tv upscaling, picture looks amazing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Samsung 4k tv upscaling, picture looks amazing.

User Info: revolver

revolver
7 months ago#1
I'm house sitting and watching my friends dogs while they're away and brought my ps3 to game on while I'm here. They have a massive new Samsung curved 4k tv, I was expecting my ps3 to look like garbage on it but wanted to play anyways.

The picture is amazing, looks like an emulator with upscaled resolution. Honestly never seen my ps3 look so crisp and nice.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
7 months ago#2
Are you telling us that the TV is upscaling your PS3 to 4K? Is that even possible?
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

revolver
7 months ago#3
rafamaximo posted...
Are you telling us that the TV is upscaling your PS3 to 4K? Is that even possible?

Lots of high end TVs do this, I was genuinely surprised at how good it looked. Sony TVs are known to be the best for this but Samsung does it well.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
7 months ago#4
revolver posted...
rafamaximo posted...

Lots of high end TVs do this, I was genuinely surprised at how good it looked. Sony TVs are known to be the best for this but Samsung does it well.

Is this upscale a function you can turn on/off at will or simply hooked up PS3 and that's it, upscaled?
Asking because I had noticed a difference between both of my televisions, but thought that it was due to display quality in both of them. One is a (very) old Sony LCD, while other one is a (relatively) new LG OLED. It looks great in Sony, but looks even better in LG, thought it was due to better screen quality in LG tv, since it was bought only a couple years ago while Sony was bought back in 2009.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: Billy Trance

Billy Trance
7 months ago#5
Placebo effect. And games natives to ps3 looks better on ps3 than on ps4.

User Info: F0cu5

F0cu5
7 months ago#6
If you're playing a 720p or 1080p game (PS3) on a 4k TV, and the image is filling the screen, it's being upscaled. This is true for all resolution combinations. If the game was not being upscaled, the picture would be small and surrounded by black borders. Different TVs use different methods to upscale and the results can vary in image quality and response time. In certain cases the console can do the upscaling before sending the image and the TV accepts the picture already at native resolution. Either way, the native resolution remains the native resolution and there is upscaling along the way.
whichmultiplat.com, my current project
discussions on the best release of each game

revolver
7 months ago#7
Billy Trance posted...
Placebo effect. And games natives to ps3 looks better on ps3 than on ps4.

It's not Placebo, good tvs have proper upscaling. I have a good pc with a 1440p monitor and know what a blurry image looks like when a game defaults to 720p or 1080p.

On this tv my ps3 looks much better than my 1080p tv at home, definitely makes me want to move to a good 4k sometime in the near future.

User Info: Backlog

Backlog
7 months ago#8
Yeah it looks great on mine, even old PS2 games look great
i5 7600k | GTX 1080 | 16gb DDR4
GT: The Evil Zombie | PSN: invincibleonion

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
6 months ago#9
F0cu5 posted...
If you're playing a 720p or 1080p game (PS3) on a 4k TV, and the image is filling the screen, it's being upscaled. This is true for all resolution combinations. If the game was not being upscaled, the picture would be small and surrounded by black borders. Different TVs use different methods to upscale and the results can vary in image quality and response time. In certain cases the console can do the upscaling before sending the image and the TV accepts the picture already at native resolution. Either way, the native resolution remains the native resolution and there is upscaling along the way.

Yeah, what the TC is referring to isn't upscaling. It's the post-processing his TV is applying to the image.

Technically speaking, a 1080p image looks the same viewed at 4k that it does viewed at 1080p.

User Info: Jx1010

Jx1010
6 months ago#10
Its true
I brought my WiiU to a friends house whos got a 4K UltraHD tv and it looked way way better, way better.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Samsung 4k tv upscaling, picture looks amazing.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived