This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 fan question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 fan question

User Info: OnurOnly

OnurOnly
4 months ago#21
Well you could apply some thermal paste like you do with PC's GPU and CPU. You can find videos about that on youtube or find some place to help you disassamble the ps3 or ps4 to apply the thermal paste. TBH I havent done this but i heard some people are doing well hell some people even use thermal paste on phones to decrease the heat.
PSN: OnuR10Ly

User Info: Jaco1100

Jaco1100
4 months ago#22
Doublesouba posted...
Since the fans didn't speed up on the XMB, that tells me that the system doesn't have an issue. There really isn't much more you can do unfortunately. The system will run fine with the fans speeding up, so you don't have to worry about that. The only thing you can do that I can think of to try and get it to run quite again is to take it apart. Take it apart, use canned air to blow out the dust that's in the console, clean the fans with a q-tip, and apply new thermal paste. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then just turn up the volume on your t.v., and keep playing. The only time you'll have to worry is if the console starts shutting itself off. If that happens, then you'll have to take it apart.

Cool. It's very warm here at the moment so I will avoid playing when it is to hot. I also use a fan to blow on the console for now and that works. Its annoying when the fan goes that loud, I usually just stop playing when that happens. But like I said, it is very warm at the moment, so obviously the fan will work harder than usual.
:-/

Jaco1100
4 months ago#23
Hucast9 posted...
Jaco1100 posted...
So I've had my PS3 for 5 years now (awesome console!). For the past two years I couldn't hear the cooling fan (or barely barely hear it). I didn't pay attention before that, so can't remember what it sounded like the first 3 years. Anyway, it gets quite warm here sometimes (above 32° celsius) and never has the fan made noise.

Today it is 36° celsius. So, I started playing some Mass Effect 3 ( which I have been playing for the past 5 days) and all of a sudden the fan got super loud (almost hair dryer loud) so I turned it off.

My questions:

1. Are you suppose to hear the fan when you are sitting 2 meters away from the console?

2. When the fan gets this loud, can you still continue playing? If it's not suppose to do this, how do I solve this?

Fat PS3s can get loud. They were designed so the cooling fan works more when needed. Some people may tell you to get the thermal paste replaced. I had the thermal paste replaced twice on a 40gb PS3, and it did nothing to resolve the issue.

Basically there is very little that you can do about the noise. You can try playing in a cool room that is 77 degrees Fahrenheit or less. Or you can try putting a few cooling fans in the bottom side of the system, which is the hottest part. Those fans will act like a lap top cooler. If you go the fan route, I suggest using a fan called AC Infinity from Amazon. Four of those fans underneath the console cooling the system's bottom shell may help the internal fan work less. That fan is super quiet. I have one of those on top of my PS4, and it's dead silent from around 8 feet away.

Thanks for the advice. Im avoiding playing when it is to hot (if it is about 33° celsius outside the fan would go loud, will test again). 35° is the max recommended outside temperature to play on the PS3, 33 is close and the fan would go louder at that temp. If it gets worse I'll take it apart and remove the dust.

Jaco1100
4 months ago#24
OnurOnly posted...
Well you could apply some thermal paste like you do with PC's GPU and CPU. You can find videos about that on youtube or find some place to help you disassamble the ps3 or ps4 to apply the thermal paste. TBH I havent done this but i heard some people are doing well hell some people even use thermal paste on phones to decrease the heat.

Thanks. Will look into it.

User Info: benjatron1701

benjatron1701
4 months ago#25
Some games cause the fan to run louder.
I just took apart my PS3 and disassembled it right down to the mother board. I made sure everything was cleaned and replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5.
It does sound much better than what it was but I was playing Path of Neo from the PS2 library and after an hour the fan started to get louder again.
I researched further and found that PS2 games will cause your PS3’s fan to run louder because of the strain they put on the console.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Like I said some games just cause your fan to run louder than others.

User Info: ConstanzaShiggy

ConstanzaShiggy
4 months ago#26
PS2 Classics on any PS3 model will make the fan instantly kick above idle noise level. Seems to be a firmware coded thing than any actual game, just seeing the PS2 bootup logo on a PS2 Classic will make the PS3 fan switch operation to higher spin rate.

@Jaco1100 You don't necessarily need to open up the console. Buy a can of compressed air, unplug the console, and spray the back air vents. Never under any circumstance put the console upside down while doing this as it might dislodge an internal component, it's a low chance but never risk it. On the list of nevers, you shouldn't put the can of compressed air upside down otherwise it spills liquid instead of air. Before spraying train your hand and practice so avoid the natural orientation of wanting to spray with the can upside down, spraying liquid inside is very harmful.

Using a can of compressed air upright and spraying wherever you see a air vents is safe. Don't spray inside the PS3 Super Slim's disc chamber, you don't want dust hitting the lens ever or the cool air damage the lens. It'll do more harm than any good from cleaning the the inside disc chamber with air, so just don't.

Compressed air cans are what, 5 dollars. Can be used on PCs and consoles, they're well worth the money. My Super Slim PS3 is only noisy when playing PS2 games, even heavy hitter PS3 games don't make the fan go to any noticeable level. Spray the back vent and USB ports, clean the side with a slightly damped cloth. Be extremely careful of accidentally opening the disc chamber or spraying anywhere near the disc chamber with canned air. The hard drive side isn't super important, but the one on the other side has tiny little holes you'd wanna just pass even your hands to clear out any dust.
Mitsuru, Naoto, and Haru. The patrician taste in women.

Jaco1100
4 months ago#27
benjatron1701 posted...
Some games cause the fan to run louder.
I just took apart my PS3 and disassembled it right down to the mother board. I made sure everything was cleaned and replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5.
It does sound much better than what it was but I was playing Path of Neo from the PS2 library and after an hour the fan started to get louder again.
I researched further and found that PS2 games will cause your PS3’s fan to run louder because of the strain they put on the console.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Like I said some games just cause your fan to run louder than others.

Cool tx.

Jaco1100
4 months ago#28
ConstanzaShiggy posted...
PS2 Classics on any PS3 model will make the fan instantly kick above idle noise level. Seems to be a firmware coded thing than any actual game, just seeing the PS2 bootup logo on a PS2 Classic will make the PS3 fan switch operation to higher spin rate.

@Jaco1100 You don't necessarily need to open up the console. Buy a can of compressed air, unplug the console, and spray the back air vents. Never under any circumstance put the console upside down while doing this as it might dislodge an internal component, it's a low chance but never risk it. On the list of nevers, you shouldn't put the can of compressed air upside down otherwise it spills liquid instead of air. Before spraying train your hand and practice so avoid the natural orientation of wanting to spray with the can upside down, spraying liquid inside is very harmful.

Using a can of compressed air upright and spraying wherever you see a air vents is safe. Don't spray inside the PS3 Super Slim's disc chamber, you don't want dust hitting the lens ever or the cool air damage the lens. It'll do more harm than any good from cleaning the the inside disc chamber with air, so just don't.

Compressed air cans are what, 5 dollars. Can be used on PCs and consoles, they're well worth the money. My Super Slim PS3 is only noisy when playing PS2 games, even heavy hitter PS3 games don't make the fan go to any noticeable level. Spray the back vent and USB ports, clean the side with a slightly damped cloth. Be extremely careful of accidentally opening the disc chamber or spraying anywhere near the disc chamber with canned air. The hard drive side isn't super important, but the one on the other side has tiny little holes you'd wanna just pass even your hands to clear out any dust.

Cool tx for the advice. So I guess you should blow side ways and not straight into the vents when you use the spray? Also, should you spray the vents on the bottom of the console? I guess not because then you have to turn the console upside down?

Just curious, won't spraying with compressed air cause dust to go back into the console?

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
4 months ago#29
Assuming you are also from Brazil. Here's what you can do (didn't read through whole topic, maybe someone else already suggested this):

Turn your console upside down and look at all air exits, there's probably dust all over them and this is why your console gets hotter and fans are on "maximum effort" mode. What you can do to clean up enough so the hot air can flow better out of your PS3 is using a vacuum cleaner, it can take all dust out of it. Than put your console "back in it's feet" and check both sides. There's air going through there too, clean it up.

If the fans still are going too loud, you'll have to open it and clean it internally. Replacing thermal paste is also a good idea, if you get to the point of opening. But don't worry, my slim also gets VERY loud. It means fans are doing what they're supposed too, taking all heat off. Just check if console itself isn't getting too hot, if it's not, then you're good to keep playing.

Edit: I also use one of these things that comes with eggs (not sure what's the term in English for that, see pic below) under both my PS3 and PS4. It's not very classy, but it helps A LOT during hot days
https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_Q_NP_618421-MLB20782498659_062016-Q.jpg
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

Jaco1100
4 months ago#30
rafamaximo posted...
Assuming you are also from Brazil. Here's what you can do (didn't read through whole topic, maybe someone else already suggested this):

Turn your console upside down and look at all air exits, there's probably dust all over them and this is why your console gets hotter and fans are on "maximum effort" mode. What you can do to clean up enough so the hot air can flow better out of your PS3 is using a vacuum cleaner, it can take all dust out of it. Than put your console "back in it's feet" and check both sides. There's air going through there too, clean it up.

If the fans still are going too loud, you'll have to open it and clean it internally. Replacing thermal paste is also a good idea, if you get to the point of opening. But don't worry, my slim also gets VERY loud. It means fans are doing what they're supposed too, taking all heat off. Just check if console itself isn't getting too hot, if it's not, then you're good to keep playing.

Edit: I also use one of these things that comes with eggs (not sure what's the term in English for that, see pic below) under both my PS3 and PS4. It's not very classy, but it helps A LOT during hot days
https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_Q_NP_618421-MLB20782498659_062016-Q.jpg

Cool tx.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 fan question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived