This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 fan question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 fan question

User Info: Jaco1100

Jaco1100
6 months ago#1
So I've had my PS3 for 5 years now (awesome console!). For the past two years I couldn't hear the cooling fan (or barely barely hear it). I didn't pay attention before that, so can't remember what it sounded like the first 3 years. Anyway, it gets quite warm here sometimes (above 32° celsius) and never has the fan made noise.

Today it is 36° celsius. So, I started playing some Mass Effect 3 ( which I have been playing for the past 5 days) and all of a sudden the fan got super loud (almost hair dryer loud) so I turned it off.

My questions:

1. Are you suppose to hear the fan when you are sitting 2 meters away from the console?

2. When the fan gets this loud, can you still continue playing? If it's not suppose to do this, how do I solve this?
:-/

User Info: Doublesouba

Doublesouba
6 months ago#2
Have you ever cleaned out the inside? These things can get dusty inside (especially the original), which causes thermals and fan speed to go up.
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MoBo, i5 4690k, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS GTX 1080 Strix. Proud owner of an '86 Chevy El Camino.

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
6 months ago#3
Can't speak for the PS3 because I haven't used it during any recent heatwaves but I know my PC and other consoles use their fans more and louder during the summer. It's not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, just that they are running warm.

Cleaning it could help a bit and also making sure it has enough room to blow out the hot air. Temporarily placing it on a dust-free floor with plenty of open air around it might be a good idea for the warmest days because a closed TV cabinet won't be able to get rid of the hot air the PS3 blows out fast so it will just heat up more and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kpyg1kmAXk

Jaco1100
6 months ago#4
Doublesouba posted...
Have you ever cleaned out the inside? These things can get dusty inside (especially the original), which causes thermals and fan speed to go up.

Haven't cleaned it yet, will maybe try that.

Jaco1100
6 months ago#5
INKU48 posted...
Can't speak for the PS3 because I haven't used it during any recent heatwaves but I know my PC and other consoles use their fans more and louder during the summer. It's not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, just that they are running warm.

Cleaning it could help a bit and also making sure it has enough room to blow out the hot air. Temporarily placing it on a dust-free floor with plenty of open air around it might be a good idea for the warmest days because a closed TV cabinet won't be able to get rid of the hot air the PS3 blows out fast so it will just heat up more and more.

Thanks for the tips :)

Jaco1100
6 months ago#6
Can I keep playing whem the fan is this loud?

User Info: Haoie

Haoie
6 months ago#7
Follow on from your other topic - I believe the fan kicks in due to external temperature. I've had the console run for only a few minutes [not enough for it to get hot] while it was hot inside and the fan started.
PlayStation enthusiast/collector, from PS1 to PS3!

Jaco1100
6 months ago#8
Haoie posted...
Follow on from your other topic - I believe the fan kicks in due to external temperature. I've had the console run for only a few minutes [not enough for it to get hot] while it was hot inside and the fan started.

Yeah, I understand that. How loud does the fan get? Do you still play on when the fan is loud? Thing is I don't want the console to get damaged...

Also, It's just weird, the fan was very quiet and all of a sudden very loud. I would of thought that it would gradually get louder, like my PS4...That is why I was scared of the sudden fan noise.

User Info: Doublesouba

Doublesouba
6 months ago#9
What model PS3 do you Have? Original, slim, or super slim? The only one of mine that the fan gets really loud in is the original. As for playing with a loud fan, you can. The ps3 should shut itself off if it gets too hot.
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 MoBo, i5 4690k, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS GTX 1080 Strix. Proud owner of an '86 Chevy El Camino.

Jaco1100
6 months ago#10
Doublesouba posted...
What model PS3 do you Have? Original, slim, or super slim? The only one of mine that the fan gets really loud in is the original. As for playing with a loud fan, you can. The ps3 should shut itself off if it gets too hot.

I have a super slim.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. PS3 fan question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived