This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Far Cry 3 causing PS3 to shut off

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Far Cry 3 causing PS3 to shut off

User Info: revengine

revengine
1 month ago#1
It's not because of over heating and I don't have this problem with any other games. I can play Borderlands 2 or Uncharted 3 for hours without even a hiccup but yet a couple hours or less of Far Cry 3 and my PS3 shuts off. I did a google search and it appears to have happened to others but I couldn't find a solution. Any suggestions? Or is this just a common glitch? Not a very nice one if it is - I don't suppose continually being hard shut down is good for the PS3.
Having a level of standards is going to open you up to criticism of hypocrisy from people with no standards.

User Info: a_riot04

a_riot04
1 month ago#2
Maybe try the safe mode options like rebuild the database and others? And try to reinstall.

I've got the US compilation and don't remember encountering this. FPS starts to drop tho once I get to 6+ hours, have to restart once or twice to smoothen it a bit.

Made to last 4 or 5 story missions before dropping it after maxing everything, didn't want to finish the campaign yet and just wanna enjoy messing around.
Reinforcements? I am THE reinforcements.

User Info: revengine

revengine
1 month ago#3
I deleted the game data install and remembered I had downloaded the update when I first popped the disk into my PS3. So, this time, after deleting the game data, I disconnected from the internet, did the mandatory install, re-started the system, then popped in the disk and it asked for the update which I installed. Then I did the database rebuild and file restore from the safe menu. I've played it a few times since then, mostly short sessions (i.e. less than an hour) but last night I played for at least 3 hours and there were no problems.

I found a thread on another forum board discussing the problem where ubisoft themselves claimed it couldn't be their game causing the system to shut off as the game code doesn't have that kind of access to the system. In one way that makes sense - I've had games that freeze and I've had to reboot and I've had games that crash and go back out to the PS3 menu, but I've never had a game shut off my PS3 completely the way it did during Far Cry 3 (except when I was playing Uncharted 2 and that was a YLOD). But in another way, nothing else was causing my system to shut off and as I already mentioned, I regularly have multi-hour sessions of Uncharted 3 or Borderlands 2 without any problems. In the same thread someone mentioned having solved the problem by first playing another game and then starting up Far Cry 3. Seems like an odd fix. Hopefully what I did solved the problem.
Having a level of standards is going to open you up to criticism of hypocrisy from people with no standards.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Far Cry 3 causing PS3 to shut off

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived