This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

January 2018 Game of the Month - Dead Space

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. January 2018 Game of the Month - Dead Space

User Info: Varron

Varron
1 month ago#1
Happy new year, everyone! To kick off 2018 is a game where you get to kick off the heads of alien creatures. The game chosen for this month is Dead Space.

Genre: Sci-Fi Action/Survival Horror
Developer: Visceral Games (R.I.P.)
Publisher: Electronic Farts
Release Date: October 13, 2008
Game Length: 11.5 Hours - based on HLTB (https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2333)
Game Description (taken from GameFAQs):
The Dead Space experience is all about surviving in its sci-fi world through strategic dismemberment, so experience the horror before the Necromorphs dismember you. After all, you are never truly safe in Dead Space. When an immense mining ship, the USG Ishimura, comes into contact with a mysterious alien artifact in a remote star system, its communications with Earth are mysteriously cut off. Engineer Isaac Clarke is sent to repair the Ishimura's communications array, but he arrives to find a living nightmare. The ship is a floating bloodbath, the crew unspeakably mutilated and infected by an ancient alien scourge. Clarke's repair mission becomes one of survival as he fights not just to save himself, but to return the artifact to the planet at any cost.

Additional Links:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/943339-dead-space

Rules:
1. This is an open thread for you to share your thoughts, opinions and experiences while playing the game.
2. Those who are playing the game for the first time are particularly encouraged to contribute, but those who have already finished the game may also participate. Either way, just please remember to format spoilers as spoilers.
3. This topic will run for the course of the month, but you aren't required to finish the game within this time frame. Play what you can and participate in the discussion. Don't be pressured to finishing the game if you don't want to.
Reddit girls are trouble.
PS4/PS3 Gamer

User Info: anonymous46773

anonymous46773
1 month ago#2
I'll admit it right up front -- I've tried like 3 times to get into Dead Space, but all three times I chicken out about an hour in. I can blame it on the fact that I insist on playing it at around 1am with the lights out and headphones on, but deep down, I know I'm a coward.

I'm sorry, mom and dad.
My last video - My thoughts on Blazblue:
https://youtu.be/8-rqIoiaJeA

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
1 month ago#3
I played it up to a point and got lost...
The way point showing me going a route possibly getting electrocuted and I quit...
Maybe I can get through this time.

My load out was:
Plasma cutter
Line gun
Contact beam
The saw...

Maybe this time I focus on upgrading stasis more, those refill cheat was a blessing.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

gamemaster712
1 month ago#4
Fun fact:
I think I read it you take the first letter of each chapter name and put them together in order it reveals a very spoiler message.
I thought that was cool...
Kinda lame because of the truth of message, but kinda cool.

Now where did I stash my copy...
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

User Info: Backlog

Backlog
1 month ago#5
Great game! I originally finished the game on 360, but I have the PC version on Steam now and haven’t played it so it should be fun to play through again in 4k!
i5 7600k | GTX 1080 | 16gb DDR4
GT: The Evil Zombie | PSN: invincibleonion

User Info: Varron

Varron
1 month ago#6
gamemaster712 posted...
I played it up to a point and got lost...
The way point showing me going a route possibly getting electrocuted and I quit...
Maybe I can get through this time.

My load out was:
Plasma cutter
Line gun
Contact beam
The saw...

Maybe this time I focus on upgrading stasis more, those refill cheat was a blessing.

My recommended loadout would be:
Plasma Cutter
Force Gun
Saw
Line Gun or Pulse Rifle

The Plasma Cutter is basically a one-man-army and can get you through the entire game. The Force Gun is good for those little critters that leech onto you, while the Saw can decimate the limbs off a horde coming towards you (and in DS2, the Saw is good for crowd-control against those creepy Gollum-looking enemies). Your 4th slot can be anything you'd like, but I recommend either the Line Gun or Pulse Rifle for a "last stand" sort of gun if you ever run out of ammo for your three other weapons or if you need to shoot something without wasting ammo for your essential guns.
Reddit girls are trouble.
PS4/PS3 Gamer

gamemaster712
1 month ago#7
I doubt I’ll run out of ammo...
Most of the time I finish them with a good stomp stomp...
I got pack rat very easily because I was overloaded.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
1 month ago#8
I've only ever used the Plasma Cutter in DS1 and 2.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: BlueJester007

BlueJester007
1 month ago#9
The Plasma Cutter is all you need.

By the way, someone mentioned that the first letter of each chapter spells a message - here are the chapter titles:

New Arrivals
Intensive Care
Course Correction
Obliteration Imminent
Lethal Devotion
Environmental Hazard

Into the Void
Search and Rescue

Dead On Arrival
End of Days
Alternate Solutions
Dead Space

User Info: jimi_dini

jimi_dini
1 month ago#10
I really really didn't like it at all.

The game never felt like any horror to me. It was just getting on my nerves.
Flickering lights are not scary, they give me a headache.

I never understood why anyone would compare this game with classic well made movies like Alien. It's not scary at all unlike that movie.

And the developers thought that it would be a brilliant idea to implement ragdoll "physics", where the bodies of "scary" aliens are lightweight. Took me right out of the bit of atmosphere the game had.

But I liked the Dead Space Wii game. Also not scary, but it didn't pretend to be scary.
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer."
--Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015 R.I.P.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. January 2018 Game of the Month - Dead Space

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived