This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the PS3 going to be your last game console?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is the PS3 going to be your last game console?

User Info: OptimusRekt

OptimusRekt
1 month ago#1
I'm still plugging away at my backlog of games on it while playing a few PC games and Vita games here and there, but between the massive amount I spent on it and the quickness of how consoles change now and all the fairly bad money-making practices of game developers now, I don't think I really want to be part of the PS4/Xbox One/Switch + generation. I'm quite enjoying being a PC gamer again and my PS3 controller works on it, so why would I even need a PS4 and such?

So the question becomes, will the PS3 (or Xbox 360 or Wii/Wii U, whatever), be your last console purchase, probably ever?
"Too fast for freedom, sometimes it all falls down, these chains never leave me, I keep dragging them around..." - Delilah by Florence Welch

User Info: Herrix

Herrix
1 month ago#2
Possibly. I've gotten into retro PC gaming to check out titles I've missed while playing console games exclusively. I don't know if it's safe to say I'll never buy another console, but PC is definitely my next move.

User Info: Yggdrasille

Yggdrasille
1 month ago#3
I really want a new portable from Sony which would get all the JRPG goodness from PS4 without loosing any graphical quality. Home consoles are becoming kind of obsolete for me honestly.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Ygdrasille.png
Waiting for: Ni No Kuni II, Dragon Quest XI, Ys VIII, Trails of Cold Steel 3, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
1 month ago#4
Nope, but it's likely PS4 will be. I have been playing my older consoles (specially PS2 and SNES) way more than I should this year. Not sure why, maybe it's because I am getting too old and current games are aimed towards another audience, maybe it's because games these days focus too much in online play, with microtransactions and stuff like that, maybe it's because very few games launched today dare to innovate, most games are just more of the same.

Worst thing of all is that games these days focus too much in being cinematic and having high production value while focusing less in gameplay and fun.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

User Info: Herrix

Herrix
1 month ago#5
rafamaximo posted...

Worst thing of all is that games these days focus too much in being cinematic and having high production value while focusing less in gameplay and fun.

I feel the same way. I wish more games delivered more organic rather than scripted cinematic events. Some of the insane crap that can happen dynamically through Grand Theft Auto V's physics engine, for example, is way cooler than the scripted action that happens during some of the missions.

Dragon's Dogma is an example of a game that delivers some sweet experiences that feel both epic and dynamic. I've dealt some great monster kills, like riding an ogre off a cliff, that were completely unscripted. I'd love to see more of that rather than being bogged down by cutscenes or bottlenecked into one specific way to accomplish tasks or defeat enemies.

User Info: INKU48

INKU48
1 month ago#6
I honestly don't really get the complaints about next gen console gaming with the exception of the complaint about paying for being able to access general online play. Everything about the PS4 is more user friendly than the PS3 for playing games and the online passes of last gen were more annoying than loot boxes of next gen which are largely optional and restricted to online play. The PS4 also has some wizardry which makes it possible to start games very fast normally in spite of mandatory installs. Are a few games released buggy? Sure, but I'd argue that less so than on the PS3. I still have nightmares about the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition and no console has crashed or had performance issues for me more than the PS3.

It's absolutely lovely playing games on the PS4 and Xbox One and they have more games than I have time for. Gaming had an absolutely spectacular year in 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z05g2X4r7OA

User Info: yahya_no_1

yahya_no_1
1 month ago#7
Not really, it's just the current game consoles are just horrible products.

Back then consoles were given features to make them more appealing to the family, now they are making sure we are given as much limited features as we can get.

The fact that I bought The Office VR on PSN but get a hassle just to play it on someone else account on the same damn console is BS, and don't get me started about trading games.

I can just buy games on Steam, add my friend's computer as part of my family computer or just approve I am using it, and done, download and play, no BS, yes abit of a hassle but at least it does not ask me to buy the game again.

Steam!!!! gives me less of a hassle to plays games than a PS4.......STEAM the PC based console
PSN:yahyano1

User Info: Zack_Attackv1

Zack_Attackv1
1 month ago#8
What the f*** ever.
http://i.imgur.com/hsWvTVi.jpg

User Info: pikey87

pikey87
1 month ago#9
rafamaximo posted...
Nope, but it's likely PS4 will be. I have been playing my older consoles (specially PS2 and SNES) way more than I should this year. Not sure why, maybe it's because I am getting too old and current games are aimed towards another audience, maybe it's because games these days focus too much in online play, with microtransactions and stuff like that, maybe it's because very few games launched today dare to innovate, most games are just more of the same.

If thats getting old, then I'm right there with you! My main consoles this year were PS3, PS1, and SNES. My biggest complaint about current gen is all the hoops you have to jump through vs any previous gen. Paywall, mandatory installs for every game despite a garbage hdd, and massive day 1 patches all the time are just unacceptable.
25+ years of gaming taught me one important life lesson. You normally don't have to push start at the main menu.

User Info: pkdragon

pkdragon
1 month ago#10
As long as weeb games continue to come out on ps consoles, i will continue to buy them. Until the day that PC porting becomes 100% the norm and the ports aren't as terrible, at least.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is the PS3 going to be your last game console?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived