This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Want to buy a PS3 as a gift. Can I get the console only if he already has a ps4?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Want to buy a PS3 as a gift. Can I get the console only if he already has a ps4?

User Info: JJH777

JJH777
1 month ago#1
My step-dad is a huge dark souls fan and he has now beaten 1-3 and bloodborne and really wants to play Demon's Souls. He already owns a PS4. Are the controller's/cords compatible with the PS3? Ebay has several listings for the console only that are significantly less than the full setup. Would there be any problems with just buying that?
9/2/13-The Hero of GameFAQs fought bravely but fell to an unrelenting horde supported by a corrupt tyranny.
R.I.P. Hero of Time, 7 time CB Champion, Link

User Info: HighwayPilot

HighwayPilot
1 month ago#2
Technically yes, but it's far from ideal when it comes to the controller. The DualShock 4 controller will work with Demon's Souls, but you can't use the PS button(!) and there's no dualshock vibration or sixxaxis motion control either. A quality reproduction DualShock 3 should be cheap and better than a DS4 on PS3.

User Info: Gaara_fan

Gaara_fan
1 month ago#3
HDMI cords are interchangeable between pretty much any console that has hdmi ports, so if your dad PS4 uses it, it's one thing less to worry about. Dualshock 4 work in most games but it doesn't support sixaxis or home button, you might need to buy a cheap knockoff for home button purposes. You need to check if Demon's Souls individually supports DS4 as a controller though.

Finally, the power cord: This one I think should be very different from a ps4, especially if the ps4 has a external power brick or something, unlike any ps3 model which the power adapter is always inside the console. So you might buy a ps3 with it's power cord or you'll have to hunt for one separately.
"Prepare to be purified. Divine Assault, Ether Strike!" - Freya, Valkyrie Profile 2
https://psnprofiles.com/Otonio_Bruno

User Info: HighwayPilot

HighwayPilot
1 month ago#4
Gaara_fan posted...
Finally, the power cord: This one I think should be very different from a ps4, especially if the ps4 has a external power brick or something, unlike any ps3 model which the power adapter is always inside the console. So you might buy a ps3 with it's power cord or you'll have to hunt for one separately.
That won't be an issue. And even if for some reason it wouldn't fit, any other power cord from a relatively recent device lying around the house that fits in the PS3 power cord socket can act as a replacement.

Just make sure the PS3 is from the same region you are from(or the PS4 is from) and try to get a Slim/Superslim model PS3.

User Info: gts-r

gts-r
1 month ago#5
HighwayPilot posted...
Just make sure the PS3 is from the same region you are from(or the PS4 is from) and try to get a Slim/Superslim model PS3.

If the PS3 it's only for Demon's Souls this doesn't matter, as DeS it's region free.

User Info: gts-r

gts-r
1 month ago#6
Gaara_fan posted...
doesn't support sixaxis or home button, you might need to buy a cheap knockoff for home button purposes. You need to check if Demon's Souls individually supports DS4 as a controller though.

I don't now if Demon's Souls individually supports DS4, but I'm sure that the sixaxis function isn't used in the game.

User Info: darkoj

darkoj
1 month ago#7
Demon's Souls supports the Dualshock 4. I was playing DeS two nights ago with one. I love the DS4 and find it far superior to the DS3; however, I prefer to play Souls games with a DS3 just for that classic feel and vibration, but since new DS3's are difficult to find at a reasonable price, I play all supported games on PS3 with a DS4 to minimize wear on my DS3's.

Oh, and the power cords are identical, literally: 7 amp 125 volt with the same port shape and all. I was comparing the multiplicity of power cords from my PS3's, PS4, and amp the other night and found they all had the same cord.
PSN: darkoj-
Single and ready to... not mingle, but rather, fathom existence and maybe... listen to jazz? Gaming it is.

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
1 month ago#8
You dont want tohave to swap cables all the time.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Want to buy a PS3 as a gift. Can I get the console only if he already has a ps4?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived