This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

$75 for a "like new" condition PS3 (super slim). good deal?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. $75 for a "like new" condition PS3 (super slim). good deal?

User Info: SEA_

SEA_
2 months ago#1
Found on craigslist, which obviously isn't the most reliable place but this seems like the best deal i've found after looking quite a bit. PS3s in general are a lot more expensive than i expected these days.
anyway my impression is that the Slim models are generally the most reliable, but the Super Slims aren't bad either, besides the flimsy disc tray cover.
I hate buying used consoles, but unopened new ones cost almost as much as PS4s so i'd rather take my chance on a used. should i go for this $75 super slim, or keep looking for a better deal?

User Info: defunct32

defunct32
2 months ago#2
That's quite a steal! But Craiglist, huh? I don't know. Is there any way to test out the system before purchasing?

I found my Slim PS3 for $100 used, the guy came over set every thing up, tested a couple of games and once it's all working I pass him over the money. That was 10 months ago... still work like a charm.
PSN: defunct32 / 3DS FC: N/A

SEA_
2 months ago#3
i'll probably have to meet somewhere in the middle of where we live, since we're kinda far apart so i won't be able to test it that thoroughly. still seems worth the risk though, especially in that condition (assuming they're honest, which they probably are but you never know)

User Info: DualArms

DualArms
2 months ago#4
@SEA_

It is worth to test it out first before buying it. Make sure the console can play some games (at least three games), connect to the Internet, and no connection issues.
PSN ID: ChaosRaiden999 (Blank Friend Requests will be ignored)
Youtube Channel: https://goo.gl/qFxBz4 | Reviews Blog: https://goo.gl/Qk7uyY
(message deleted)

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
2 months ago#6
Here's what you can do since you won't be able to test it...

Ask him for a video of the videogame working, but ask him to include on the video (without any cuts) label at the back with serial number. Take note of that. When you guys meet, check if serial is the same before handing over the money.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0

SEA_
2 months ago#7
finalized the deal, gonna pick it up tomorrow. is there any reason not to use it vertically? for some reason i've always had a weird aversion to putting my consoles vertical, it just seems wrong to me (even though it's been a legit thing with all consoles for the last two gens). vertical would save me a lot of space in my setup, plus i think i read that the way the super slim's ventilation is set up, it might actually be better vertical? the stands are cheap too.

User Info: chases11545e

chases11545e
2 months ago#8
SEA_ posted...
finalized the deal, gonna pick it up tomorrow. is there any reason not to use it vertically? for some reason i've always had a weird aversion to putting my consoles vertical, it just seems wrong to me (even though it's been a legit thing with all consoles for the last two gens). vertical would save me a lot of space in my setup, plus i think i read that the way the super slim's ventilation is set up, it might actually be better vertical? the stands are cheap too.

I think it has something to do with the disc drive. The laser apparently can have issues when the console is vertical (that's what I've heard at least).

EDIT: Knocking a console over can screw up your hard drive and/or disc drive. Also, you can damage any game disc inside of it.
PS4 Pro | PS3 | Xbox One | Xbox 360 | PC
Auto-correct can go to he'll.

SEA_
2 months ago#9
that's what i've always kind of assumed, but i've also heard that it's not really an issue with disc drives in general nowadays. i wish i knew more about the mechanical aspects of computers and consoles, this stuff always confuses me. either way i'm probably gonna be mostly digital with this ps3 so it might not even affect me

User Info: chases11545e

chases11545e
2 months ago#10
Personally, I've avoided placing consoles vertically.
PS4 Pro | PS3 | Xbox One | Xbox 360 | PC
Auto-correct can go to he'll.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. $75 for a "like new" condition PS3 (super slim). good deal?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived