This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

December 2017 Game of the Month - Legend of Dragoon

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. December 2017 Game of the Month - Legend of Dragoon

User Info: Varron

Varron
4 months ago#1
Welcome back, everyone. I hope you had your fill of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen because we're in for another RPG double smack. The game chosen for this month is Legend of Dragoon.

Genre: JRPG
Developer/Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment, SCE Japan Studios
Release Date: December 2, 1999
Game Length: 47.5 Hours - based on HLTB (https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10005)
Game Description (taken from GameFAQs):
A peaceful beginning. The legend was born 10,000 years ago. A violent uprising. A civilization of flying creatures enslave the human race. A bloody war. In a bid for freedom, the humans harness the spiritual forces of Dragons and triumph. Tranquility and harmony exist between all. But the past and the future are about to collide...Unveil a fantasy of Magnificence, Deception, Magical Combat and Retribution. Transform into Dragoons and unleash extraordinary powers. Incredibly diverse characters wield unique weapons and Dragoon attacks powered by the forces of Earth, Light, Fire, Wind, Lightning, Water and Darkness. Totally unique and innovative tactical combat "Additionals" System.

Additional Links:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197765-the-legend-of-dragoon
http://www.thelegendofdragoon.net/

Rules:
1. This is an open thread for you to share your thoughts, opinions and experiences while playing the game.
2. Those who are playing the game for the first time are particularly encouraged to contribute, but those who have already finished the game may also participate. Either way, just please remember to format spoilers as spoilers.
3. This topic will run for the course of the month, but you aren't required to finish the game within this time frame. Play what you can and participate in the discussion. Don't be pressured to finishing the game if you don't want to.
Reddit girls are trouble.
PS4/PS3 Gamer

User Info: orangeumbreon23

orangeumbreon23
4 months ago#2
I only ever made it to Disc 3 I think on my PS1 copy so I am glad I picked it up digitally on sale a while ago. One thing that annoys me about the game is limited inventory.
XBL GT: JoeCool8524
3DS XL FC: 4081 5498 9446(TSV 255 for X); 4356 0748 5151(TSV 1354 for Y); 1349-5064-3916(TSV 2860)

User Info: V I C I O U S

V I C I O U S
4 months ago#3
orangeumbreon23 posted...
I only ever made it to Disc 3 I think on my PS1 copy so I am glad I picked it up digitally on sale a while ago. One thing that annoys me about the game is limited inventory.

Ah I can hear the inventory/menu background music in my head now! Between this, Demon's Souls, and the lot of multiplayer games I can't pull myself away from sometime, I have a lot to play this December.
"Liking is probably the best form of ownership, and ownership the worst form of liking" - Jose Saramago

User Info: MoreRpgs

MoreRpgs
4 months ago#4
Masterpiece

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
4 months ago#5
Can’t remember if it’s still on my dl list
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: defunct32

defunct32
4 months ago#6
This game was an unexpected surprise for me. Back then it was touted as a rival to FF7 by Sony. I was 13 at that time and thought the developers were reaching with their description, lol. Got the game to prove myself wrong but ended up loving it and am still lovin' it today!

I want a new TLOD so badly, a remake would be nice, a continuation would be super!
PSN: defunct32 / 3DS FC: N/A

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
4 months ago#7
I'm probably going to be the lone naysayer in this topic, but the mechanics of this game drove me up the wall. More than a few things bothered me about this game

-Any useful attack has the QTE button presses that you have to match every single time. I remember doing Hex Hammer so much that it's burned into my brain. It really should've been a system where you have to match the presses only a certain number of times, and then it just becomes automatic after that. This would wear me out so much that I could only play the game for shorter stretches than other RPG's.
-Unless you transform, magic is pretty much non-existent in the game.
-This is a multidisc title, but map areas of the game are on different discs. So on PS1 and PS2, exploring the world near the end-game becomes a pain, since you have to swap discs if one region is on a different disc. This is the only multi-disc RPG I've ever played that's done this.

Also the voice-acting is terrible.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: Backlog

Backlog
4 months ago#8
I want to play this but I’m getting Xenoblade 2 on Friday
i5 7600k | GTX 1080 | 16gb DDR4
GT: The Evil Zombie | PSN: invincibleonion

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
4 months ago#9
GundamMonX posted...
I'm probably going to be the lone naysayer in this topic, but the mechanics of this game drove me up the wall. More than a few things bothered me about this game

-Any useful attack has the QTE button presses that you have to match every single time. I remember doing Hex Hammer so much that it's burned into my brain. It really should've been a system where you have to match the presses only a certain number of times, and then it just becomes automatic after that. This would wear me out so much that I could only play the game for shorter stretches than other RPG's.
-Unless you transform, magic is pretty much non-existent in the game.
-This is a multidisc title, but map areas of the game are on different discs. So on PS1 and PS2, exploring the world near the end-game becomes a pain, since you have to swap discs if one region is on a different disc. This is the only multi-disc RPG I've ever played that's done this.

Also the voice-acting is terrible.

Hmm, I'm a bit of a naysayer but for different reasons. I used to enjoy the attack system, but recently when I go back to play the game I don't have the same patience I used to, so I'm with you on that point. Magic is pretty limited, there are a number of magic items but they are mostly only worth using with Shana and Meru. The disc thing didn't really bother me...there are only a couple times to backtrack for the most part (Legend Casque...)

I have a laundry list of other problems. The voice acting is bad; yes, and furthermore the writing is terrible. The dialogue feels like something a middle-schooler wrote. This is one of the main reasons why I have trouble replaying this game, because there's so much text and most of it is terrible.

The load times and the camera rotating around for battles slowed things down too much for me.

Dart being a permanent battle member and being so incredibly average was a bit frustrating for me. Like all good main characters, he should have been above average across the board, but instead we are stuck with him when a stronger character like Albert or a faster character like Meru would be better (I would have loved to use Albert, Haschel and Meru or Rose, Meru, and Kongol etc.)

The experience system seemed a little silly to me too, as it would take ages to grind to higher levels on regular enemies. In some ways I like this but I think it could have been handled a bit better.

That said, I do really enjoy this game and I've played it and beaten it a number of times. I also recommend it to those who have never played it, but I just don't have the energy to replay it ever again.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
4 months ago#10
Downloading now on vita.
I hope I can keep up and not be bored
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. December 2017 Game of the Month - Legend of Dragoon

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived