This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Still using the PS3 in 2018

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Still using the PS3 in 2018

User Info: Gigant0pithecus

Gigant0pithecus
3 months ago#61
I drift in and out of playing different stuff on different consoles. Since there's somewhat of a lack of games I'm interested in right now on the current gen consoles I do own (PS4/XBO), I'm on the verge of reconnecting my PS3 and playing through my backlog in the coming months, likely well into 2018.

I mean sure we get the occasional great game like The Witcher III, a decent gets-the-job-done sequel like Fallout 4, or finally another solid entry in a tired series like Assassin's Creed: Origins. But there seem to be less... middle-ground B-grade games or new IPs. It's almost all AAA sequels, or hit and miss (mostly miss) indie games.

I also think once a gen nears its end or finally does end as the new one picks up steam, people look back on the library, what they may have missed, and are a bit more forgiving of the gen overall. That's what I'm seeing with the last one, anyway.

And thank god Microsoft has been keeping up with backwards compatibility on the Xbox One (Fable: Anniversary, TES IV: Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, etc.), otherwise I'd have sold that thing the day they discontinued Project Spark's online functionality (one of the major reasons I even got it; you could basically create your own games in it and share them online).
XBL: Gigantopithecus PSN: SugarPussPulled - Protect your beards!

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
3 months ago#62
EcchiSaberUnit posted...
no need for reassurance threads.

real talk: you can't afford next gen.

Funny you follow up with an assurance argument.

And next gen?

Fact is current gen consoles are pretty weak and games recently took a strongly undesirable direction...

PS3 (and to an extent PS2) gens were where the entertainment form most likely peaked

Tldr , I own a PS4 and it's been mostly a trashy experience, I play my PS3 wayyyy more often, even play on my pc more and I don't even like pc gaming lol.

Currently playing DOAXVV and having a blast tbh!

User Info: unknown_VS

unknown_VS
3 months ago#63
Gigant0pithecus posted...
mean sure we get the occasional great game like The Witcher III, a decent gets-the-job-done sequel like Fallout 4, or finally another solid entry in a tired series like Assassin's Creed: Origins. But there seem to be less... middle-ground B-grade games or new IPs. It's almost all AAA sequels, or hit and miss (mostly miss) indie games

I don't really agree with this either, this year alone was Nier Automata, Nioh, Kyoei Toshi (my personal GOTY) which all aren't "indies" nor "AAA", they're "A" games, Kyoei Toshi being "B", but it's so beautiful haha. So bad it's good kinda thing, ya know.

To me it sounds like you wanna go the safe route with AAA games and are disappointed they don't give you the same experience a "A" game might would be able to. Dunno.

User Info: PlayStationV

PlayStationV
3 months ago#64
>PS3
>2018
Future owner of a PlayStation 4.
(message deleted)

User Info: Wing_Phoenix

Wing_Phoenix
3 months ago#66
I have a few PS3 games I'll replay in the future and a few more I either want to get or have but have not played yet. I'll probably go back to replaying Kingdom of Amaular soon, might start another Mass Effect Shepherd trilogy playthrough sometime next year and will definitely be playing Bioshock 2 and Civilization Revolution in the near future
The most devastating defeat is the one which comes when you have stood on the edge of victory.

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
2 months ago#67
Featuring_Dante posted...
@EcchiSaberUnit posted...
no need for reassurance threads.

real talk: you can't afford next gen.

you either want to be content on what you have. and reassure yourself that its ok playing a 12 year old console in 2018.

or hate on next gen just because you cant possible have it. PS4 will surpass 70m sales by early 2018(current official sales count is 68.4m units sold) its clearly a good console and people are buying it by the millions. hating it just makes you look like an idiot.

That explains 90% of the people who still view this board, you can find several topics ripping on newer consoles like a bunch of children because their parents can't buy them the new console. Quite pathetic.
News flash, its ok to say you're not interested in new consoles, but to downplay them makes you look insecure and honestly, its clear that you want it but can't afford it.

I had a PS4. And I sold it while keeping PS3. Long story short, gaming room is becoming a baby room (wife and I are going to have another kid soon), so due to space issues I had to sold most of my consoles and decided to sell a bunch of my games for them. Sold about 30 PS3 games, 20 PS2 games, all my 6 PS1 games, my fat PS1, fat PS2, fat PS3 and PS4. Kept only a slim Ceramic White PS2, PS3 slim and SNES. Oh, of course, my homemade arcade machine with over a thousand games from several platforms (SNES, Sega Genesis, PS1 and tons of arcade games).

You know, PS4 has nothing exclusive that really gets my attention. Most of the games I owned / played are multi-plats and sequence from games I liked in PS3 (Dishonored 2, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Fallout 4, Nier Automata) or games I can play elsewhere too like Persona 5, Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3...

Direction devs are taking with new games also bothers me. All games seem to focus on online play, microtransactions and loot boxes. Gran Turismo Sport killed any hope I had.

If I had to pick a new console today, I'd probably get any console I skipped in last ganes. I never owned a Xbox, nor Wii / Game Cube. So there's plenty of good old games out there waiting to be "discovered" by me. But of course, I am not going to be a hypocrite here, I'll surely buy a new PS4 again in the future. But only after I'm able to move on to a bigger house where I can have my man cave again.

So, my point is: not everyone is poor and can't afford a PS4, you know. Some people just think that whenever a new video game is out, older generations do not turn automatically into a pile of crap.
Here's how I feel about 90% of topics and posts seem in Gamefaqs:
https://youtu.be/mHWXDaQPau0
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: LordJackal

LordJackal
2 months ago#68
I mean yeah, finances are definitely part of my reason why I'm not playing the PS4. I don't have the time or money to support two current-gen consoles at once, and the Switch has my full attention. I also don't see a reason to pay $60 a pop for games that I can pick up for $5 a few years from now. So, I'll stick with the PS3.

Having to wait to play The Last Guardian, Ni No Kuni 2 and Fractured But Whole definitely stings a bit, though.
I mean, how much more black could it be? The answer is none. None more black.

User Info: BrianCraigSmith

BrianCraigSmith
2 months ago#69
Naturally. Backlog.
PSN: Handsomistic1 NNID: Handsomistic15
3DS FC: 2767-1438-6425

User Info: CaiusQualls

CaiusQualls
2 months ago#70
Yes, the PS4 isn't even that good.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Still using the PS3 in 2018

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.