This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Red Screen error - any fix at all?

User Info: Conquerer

Conquerer
4 years ago#1
ok so i've been getting that red screen where it tells you there's a serious error and to contact sony every time i turn on my ps3 now

i've seen it a bunch of times before. every 1-3 months i'd probably see it maybe one or two times, for about maybe a year or so now, maybe more. overall, i've seen it probably around 5-6 different times, but it's never been more than a hiccup and i've been able to turn it off and try again and it'd work the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time

now it just won't work at all. tried it about 30-40 times now with various methods and still nothing.

i've gone to the special options menu where you can restore file system, etc, tried literally all six options as follows:

1. restart system - literally restarts system without doing anything so this is 100% useless
2. restore default settings - says its restoring options and to don't turn off console, but within a few seconds the screen goes black and and then i get the red screen
3. restore file system - done this several times now, says file system is corrupt and so it restores it, i see it go from 0 to 100%, it completes, reboots, same red screen again
4. rebuild database - every time i click this one, it just goes black for a second or two and then i get the red screen
5. restore ps3 system - same thing here, i click this and within a few seconds i just get the red screen again
6. system update - tried this with update on usb stick, downloaded fine but when it boots again i get the red screen

i had an old ylod ps3 lying around with a 40gb hdd so i popped that in, tried that it. first it tells me it needs to be formatted so i try to do that and i get the red screen again. so i don't think it's a hdd problem... also i only tried option 5 up there with this secondary hard drive as i didn't want to lose my save data, but since it can't even restore this hard drive i really don't think it is an hdd problem at all.

TLDR
does anyone have any experience with this red screen problem being fixable like the ylod is? i know you can get ylod fixed, but what about this? is it a part of the console that's failed? and if you really didn't read anything up there, i've tried basically everything i've read on internet. those basic methods listed there that have worked for others don't work for me.

anyway, lost in all this, i don't want to lose my save files. i have some backed up, but there's one or two i'd really like to keep. anyway to get these files through pc or something? the other ylod ps3 i have sometimes turns on but when i put that old hard drive in my newer ps3 i had to format it first. will it ask me to reformat first if i put it in the ylod ps3? don't wanna take the risk in case it asks me to reformat again once i put it back in my newer ps3 if i can even get it fixed.

so basically 2 problems:
1. is there any way to fix red screen? either hardware fix or something else. or do i need a new ps3 period?
2. is there any way to retrieve my save data if i can't fix it?
Ayrton Senna da Silva
In Life Unbeatable - In Death Irreplaceable

User Info: Conquerer

Conquerer
4 years ago#2
bump.

pretty much found the answer to the 2nd question, seems ps3 hdds are encrypted and data can't be retrieved off them. anyone familiar with the red screen problem though?
Ayrton Senna da Silva
In Life Unbeatable - In Death Irreplaceable
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Red Screen error - any fix at all?
  • Topic Archived