This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. GTA V still behind design elements Shenmue established?

User Info: Devilman_Amon

Devilman_Amon
5 years ago#1
Just asking

You know like, talk to any pedestrian which mostly are not clones, practically go into any store or building, day to night clock, stat building, whole commercial games within a game (Hang On for example), a proper melee system...

Also, it seems it's missing some game elements that Sleeping Dogs successfully implemented that took from Yakuza, Pursuit Force, Free Running, Batman AA...

Also can you go watch a sports game in the game as a spectator? Like buy tickets and sit in the stands and watch a game while drinking beer and eating junk food? And can you ride a horse?
(\__/)
(='.'=)

User Info: spectermaster14

spectermaster14
5 years ago#2
It's a shame one game isn't the amalgamation of fifteen other. Shenmue didn't have a map you could fit the maps of several games in with more buildings and stores than you can count, you can't expect that level of detail and interactivity. Melee isn't the focus, as I've said before, attacking GTA for lacking complex melee is like attacking Yakuza for having awful shooting mechanics; it's not the focus, it's not meant to be at the forefront.

Oh, speaking of which, I finally got the game. Responded to a post of yours about the AI a day or two ago? They actually do have their own schedules, at least the playable characters you aren't currently controlling. They do their own thing, you can catch them in the act when you swap to them.

EDIT:

Wait a second, I was too hasty in my reply... The game DOES have a day to night clock and stat building. Did you look into the game at all?

Devilman_Amon
5 years ago#3
spectermaster14 posted...
It's a shame one game isn't the amalgamation of fifteen other. Shenmue didn't have a map you could fit the maps of several games in with more buildings and stores than you can count, you can't expect that level of detail and interactivity. Melee isn't the focus, as I've said before, attacking GTA for lacking complex melee is like attacking Yakuza for having awful shooting mechanics; it's not the focus, it's not meant to be at the forefront.

I think you'll agree with me when I say Shenmue was ahead of it's time. It's influence on GTA is no secret.
Also, this game seems that it does indeed try to let you do things of all sorts since it is a sandbox so why at this stage of the series, should a proper melee system not be implemented? Just because guns are the focus? Hogwash! Sleeping Dogs did a great job of blending shooting with melee and even True Crime Streets of L.A. and Rise to Honor had it years ago (albeit it not as evolved).

One would argue that Yakuza obviously isn't trying to be a true sandbox now is it? It's trying to be a brawler RPG. It even has random enemy encounters and "Level Up!" screen prompts as you fight. Storywise, guns are not the focal point anyway since guns are a rarity in Japan and are illegal to own.
Should I expect hand to hand combat is a rarity in America? That sounds kinda stupid.

Why shouldn't I expect that level of detail and interactivity from a game with a $260 million dollar budget made almost 15 years after Shenmue was initially developed on a system from two gens ago? (which was initially or the Sega Saturn no less)

Oh, speaking of which, I finally got the game. Responded to a post of yours about the AI a day or two ago? They actually do have their own schedules, at least the playable characters you aren't currently controlling. They do their own thing, you can catch them in the act when you swap to them.

But do the NPC's do their own thing? Because that's what I asked before. Like in Deadly Premonition, the NPC's have their own daily schedule of chores. They're not just randomly walking around.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(message deleted)

Devilman_Amon
5 years ago#5
SexySamSosa67 posted...
I deleted my dumb post because it was dumb and I misspelled anyway

You didn't even spell it right and you're bloating GTA from a monetary point of view which is dumb because there's no check in the mail for you; it's not coming....
(\__/)
(='.'=)

User Info: Shankis

Shankis
5 years ago#6
And yet, way more people care about Grand Theft Auto.
#xboxdone

Devilman_Amon
5 years ago#7
Impaired Medic posted...
And yet, way more people care about Grand Theft Auto.

At this stage in society, more people care about Twilight than the greatest movies made in the past. More people care about Justin Bieber and Myley Cyrus than the greatest musicians in the past.
(\__/)
(='.'=)

User Info: spectermaster14

spectermaster14
5 years ago#8
Devilman_Amon posted...
spectermaster14 posted...

I think you'll agree with me when I say Shenmue was ahead of it's time. It's influence on GTA is no secret.
Also, this game seems that it does indeed try to let you do things of all sorts since it is a sandbox so why at this stage of the series, should a proper melee system not be implemented? Just because guns are the focus? Hogwash! Sleeping Dogs did a great job of blending shooting with melee and even True Crime Streets of L.A. and Rise to Honor had it years ago (albeit it not as evolved).
One would argue that Yakuza obviously isn't trying to be a true sandbox now is it? It's trying to be a brawler RPG. It even has random enemy encounters and "Level Up!" screen prompts as you fight.
Why shouldn't I expect that level of detail and interactivity from a game with a $260 million dollar budget made almost 15 years after Shenmue was initially developed on a system from two gens ago? (which was initially or the Sega Saturn no less),

Of course Shenmue was ahead of its time, it's very impressive. Shenmue, however, is about the size of GTA3, if not smaller. When there's so little area to cover, you can focus on the details. You're kidding yourself if you expect a game GTAV's size to have such detail. Not that you are, of course. You're just looking for something new to attack and people actually like GTAV, so it's an easy choice.

Sleeping Dogs and True Crime have you playing as martial artists. (Didn't play Streets of New York, basing this off Wei and Nick) GTA is focused on street thugs, mafioso, bikers, bank robbers, and drug addicts. I'd be all for more focused melee, but it's just not what the game is about. You could argue that people in those roles can still fight well, and they can, but I didn't criticize Max Payne 3 for Max's lack of focused melee despite being a hard boiled cop and gun for hire, because that's not what Max is about.

No game since Shenmue has done what it did. Why should this one? Beyond the fact that you're targeting to rile people up, of course. Don't recall you attacking Sleeping Dogs, couldn't walk into every building or what have you there. Yakuza's close, makes sense, but you just admitted yourself that it's not really setting out to be a sandbox game. Pointless comparisons are pointless.

But do the NPC's do their own thing? Because that's what I asked before. Like in Deadly Premonition, the NPC's have their own daily schedule of chores. They're not just randomly walking around.

When they aren't actively being controlled, the other characters are NPCs. But no, the town of a million AI humans does not have its own schedule. You're ignoring context again. DP has a supporting cast of about fifteen. San Andreas is populated by millions.

User Info: Shankis

Shankis
5 years ago#9
I'm saying those features clearly don't matter. But hey, just knock the game's popularity because the one you like has a smaller fan base.
#xboxdone

User Info: archizzy

archizzy
5 years ago#10
This whole thing will just turn into a fight.

Love Shenmue, love Sleeping Dogs, love Yakuza, and am currently loving GTA V.

Out of curiosity why do you say there is no day/night clock in GTA V? The stat building is weak but there are things to work on. I think it is pretty impressive how well they handled Tennis and some of the games within the GTA V world.

As a side note if you search Shenmue on gamefaqs you have a lot of topics about it. I'm not against it, just something I noticed.
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. GTA V still behind design elements Shenmue established?
  • Topic Archived