This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider is a hundred times better than Uncharted. Here's why.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Tomb Raider is a hundred times better than Uncharted. Here's why.

User Info: Taran_McDohl

Taran_McDohl
4 years ago#21
Its 100 times better for you...because thats your opinion and thats what you like. See how that works?
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...one Good and one Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
4 years ago#22
+Actual platforming
Not sure what you really mean by this. Both series had about the same amount of platforming and climbing. TR had a slightly bigger focus on it, but its not like one game was solely focused on the feature while the other ignored it.

+Better graphics
Obviously, its a newer game.

+Actual exploration
What is your idea of "exploration"? Both games were fairly linear with one path to your destination/set piece. Unless hunting for collectable crap is your idea of exploration. And I guess TR wins in that aspect. The journals were the only items IMO worth picking up(simply for the slight additions to the backstory of the island).

+Actual treasure hunting
I get the feeling that you didn't actually play any of the Uncharted games. Treasure hunting is the major plot point(for most of the storylines, at least) for all four games, and the collectables in the games come in the form of treasure you find lying around, just like Tomb Raider. Hell, if anything, TR fails in this point because her goal is never really to hunt treasure, from start to finish.

+Interesting back story
Highly subjective. Both backstories are fairly weak, I'd say Drake's is sorta stronger by the third game When it's revealed he's not actually related to Sir Frances Drake but just a street urchin but it's not expanded upon so I'll say its a moot point. Lara's is extremely generic however. Super smart archaolegist with a number of ambiguous but relatively tame history of adventures with a father who had some equally ambiguous "history" that makes him someone everyone knows to be some super-badass explorer or whatever, but is never explained. Now, treating this game as Lara's backstory, however, does work alot better. But it's still faily standard for both games.

+Better atmosphere
Also subjective. The first two games, maybe I'd agree with you(as the first felt somewhat barebones and the third tried too hard) but IMO Uncharted 2 blew this game out of the water when it comes to atmosphere, as it had really done a great job of nailing that Indiana Jones, "pulp comic hero" vibe. This game's atmosphere was pretty nice, but felt kinda hollow.

+Creative puzzles
Somewhat agree with you, although honestly, neither game's puzzles were that hard. Also, most of this game's puzzles involved simple physics tests or generic, Zelda-styled "We got you this new item. Here's a puzzle that requires you to use it."

+Character development
DEAD WRONG on this one. Arguably Lara's development as a character is pretty good, but literally every other character is completely one dimensional and stereotypically tropetastic. They might as well name the characters "Turncoat McD-bag" and "Ditzy Damsel". You can pretty much assume what character is going to take which action from the first scene they are all placed together. Compare that to Uncharted, where Drake somewhat evolves as the protagonist, <spoilers>Mainly in the second one where he learns some much needed humility by the second act</spoilers>

+Better set pieces
Again, have you played any of the Uncharted games? All of Tomb Raider's setpieces were essentially just her getting hurt. It was insane the first three or four times, and then it became sorta standard fare by about midway through the game. The shootouts were nothing to write home about, and there was only about 4 different kinds of enemy, so you weren't exactly left on the edge of your seat by some new foe.

+Less linear
It was less linear in the sense that you could go back and pick up more collectables.
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."

User Info: FiendingHard

FiendingHard
4 years ago#23
Taran_McDohl posted...
Its 100 times better for you...because thats your opinion and thats what you like. See how that works?

I wasn`t aware I was speaking for every gamer out there.
People want things they can fix and I'm permanently broken. -Isaac Clarke
Now Playing: Tomb Raider, New Super Mario Bros U, Final Fantasy 9

User Info: hockeybub89

hockeybub89
4 years ago#24
I feel like Uncharted 2 and Tomb Raider are equally amazing. Do I win a prize?
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica

User Info: Red_Jester

Red_Jester
4 years ago#25
Tomb Raider had exploration... lol
Tomb Raider had an interesting backstory... lol
Tomb Raider had character development... lol
Tomb Raider had a better atmosphere... lol
Tomb Raider comes with a cool comic book... wtf? really?
Tomb Raider had "creative puzzles"... the biggest lol of all
Tomb Raider had better set pieces... wait, no, THIS is the biggest lol of all

Shoot outs are kept to a bare minimum? Just get the hell out of here already. Tomb Raider doesn't have any better pacing than Uncharted. I'm not even sure you understand what that means. You also didn't mention that Tomb Raider has some of the worst enemy AI in any modern video game. Enemies who can see you through the wall and are shooting at you the entire time even if you travel literally a mile away from the combat zone is not good game design. That's like something from an early 2000's Eastern European shooter on the PC.
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.

User Info: Mr_Hakubi

Mr_Hakubi
4 years ago#26

+Better atmosphere

I agree with this part.

Really though, I don't get the comparisons anyways, both titles are obviously trying to achieve completely different goals.

You sure about that?
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy301/MrHakubi/Tenchi%20Muyo/1e16f739.jpg

User Info: DBN_Stealth

DBN_Stealth
4 years ago#27
PinkPikachu posted...
they're both bad

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
4 years ago#28
+Optional objectives and quests
The tombs were just extra physics puzzles. And what extra quests?

+Boobs
They weren't that big. Seriously though, I really liked the redesign for Lara. Very pretty, in a real way. I guess that works.

+Comes with a cool comic book
Okay?

+Leveling up and upgrade system
Was it really needed/plausible? The upgrades didn't really add much to the game aside from the alternate firing modes.

+Better pacing
Highly disagree. TR's third act sorta just dragged on. Alot of the pace seemed to slow down when you kept getting sent on fetch quests for no other reason than to watch another crewmate die or add a minor complication to an otherwise simple plan. These diversions kinda broke up the flow of the story. It'd be like if Tolkien stopped to tell us every time the Hobbits had to backtrack because they took a wrong turn on thier way to Mordor.

+Shootouts are kept to a bare minimum and a small part of the overall experience
TR was shootouts galore. Definitely more than older TR games. The only difference is that they tended to throw less enemies at you than Uncharted, and there were longer periods without combat in TR.

+Main protagonist is worth caring about
Ehh... I guess. I liked the idea of having a character worth really worrying about and watching her grow into some self-sufficient protagonist, but Lara's growth was kinda... superficial. Other than her going "Oh no this is alot to deal with" over and over, and that changing to her trying to "pull a Drake" with one-liners while committing genocide, she pretty much stays and acts the same through the entire game, killing and climbing and occasionally having someone die for her. Like all the other characters in the game, it felt extremely one dimensional and shallow.

Tomb Raider was a fun game. I played through it completely and had fun while I did. It works well, either as a reboot or simply as a prequel to the previous games. But it wasn't perfect, and it did try really hard to emulate the Uncharted series. Perhaps too hard. But thats not a bad thing either, since the Uncharted series was very entertaining(if you actually played them and didn't just watch a ZP review and write it off) as well and owes much of it's roots to the original Tomb Raider games. Overall, I'd rank the games like this:

Uncharted 2 >>>>>>>>> Uncharted 3 = Tomb Raider >>> Uncharted Golden Abyss > Uncharted 1
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."

User Info: g_lethal

g_lethal
4 years ago#29
i traded in tomb raider right after i beat it, the weapon upgrade system was not needed because you got some upgrades through the story, which shouldve been how it was done, cause of no new game+ i wasnt gonna trudge through it again with base weapons knowing i had a complete save right there, stupid move! replay value is key nowadays

it was also just a big shootout, walk, kill off a group of dudes, repeat

worst of all, WORST OF ALL! lara did everything automatically! wtf! gunfight all u had to do was shoot n walk cause she did cover by herself, coming near enemies? there goes lara unholstering her guns, crouching and walking slower! thats my job, the gamer, it should be my fault in case a bullet or odd dodge takes me out.

uncharted is better, cause uncharted knew what it was and pulled it off amazingly(except uc1's jetski part) it was game that was tight and fun, tomb raider shows signs of greatness, but you can tell its trying while youre playing it, it constantly feels like its forcing you to pay attention to its story instead of letting you uncover it yourself like UC does, it just took over to many times when i played it, hopefully though TR2 fixes the issues cause the groundwork is solid
DmC is a work of art and im not touching tomb raider 2013 again until new game+ is patched in

User Info: crazyman32

crazyman32
4 years ago#30
CrimsonGear80 posted...
I disagree, but whatever.
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Tomb Raider is a hundred times better than Uncharted. Here's why.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived