This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My PS3's VGA cables suddenly stopped working

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. My PS3's VGA cables suddenly stopped working

User Info: SuperFlik

SuperFlik
5 years ago#1
So yeah, my VGA cables suddenly stopped working. The only thing that I can think of that would have changed anything is that one of my friends came over the other day and hooked my PS3 up with an HDMI cable instead of my normal VGA cables and now today when I went to turn on my PS3, it just wouldn't work.

I bought the PS3 maybe a month ago, is this a common thing, or are there some settings that prevent the VGA cables from working when an HDMI cable is plugged in?
Zelos Wilder: "Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Demon Fang!
Damn, I must be a genius! Double Demon Fang!"

User Info: rahmed51387

rahmed51387
5 years ago#2
Hold your PS3 power button down for 10 seconds (it'll beep twice... twice. Ignore the first one, and keep holding it until it does it again.)

It'll be reset to normal cable settings. Then go to settings and change settings as you had them before.

For future reference, you can also keep your PS3 to search for 2 visual inputs (in your case, HDMI and VGA) to output to so you don't have to do this again.
PSN:LonelyDesperado
MissTFayed: rahmed51387 - You got the surfer accent. You are officially the smartest person on here.

User Info: kingofjamaica

kingofjamaica
5 years ago#3
PS3 doesn't support VGA...
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.

User Info: kingofjamaica

kingofjamaica
5 years ago#4
Or more specifically, there is no VGA port on the PS3. If you were using a VGA cable, it was probably an HDMI-VGA cable, in which case there would be no problem at all.
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.

User Info: Callmege

Callmege
5 years ago#5
I never understood the need for HDMI, outside of DRM. VGA is far superior and DVI superior to VGA.
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008

User Info: EvilMewtwo

EvilMewtwo
5 years ago#6
Callmege posted...
I never understood the need for HDMI, outside of DRM. VGA is far superior and DVI superior to VGA.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
Starcraft II: DeimoS.686 [Protoss] Currently Gold league.
Core i7-3770k | ASUS GTX 670 | 8GB CORSAIR DDR3 | ASUS P8-Z77V

User Info: ScreamingMidget

ScreamingMidget
5 years ago#7
Callmege posted...

lol

User Info: EvilMewtwo

EvilMewtwo
5 years ago#8
so let me get this straight. you're saying

DVI > VGA > HDMI

you do realize that DVI = HDMI because they carry essentially the same signal barring audio

DVI = HDMI but DVI > HDMI because of the above equation

in other words if what you were saying was true you would have broken mathematics
Starcraft II: DeimoS.686 [Protoss] Currently Gold league.
Core i7-3770k | ASUS GTX 670 | 8GB CORSAIR DDR3 | ASUS P8-Z77V

User Info: SuperFlik

SuperFlik
5 years ago#9
kingofjamaica posted...
Or more specifically, there is no VGA port on the PS3. If you were using a VGA cable, it was probably an HDMI-VGA cable, in which case there would be no problem at all.

Well then whatever you would like to the cable that came with my PS3, with the red, yellow and white output cables.

rahmed51387 posted...
Hold your PS3 power button down for 10 seconds (it'll beep twice... twice. Ignore the first one, and keep holding it until it does it again.)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Zelos Wilder: "Demon Fang! Demon Fang! Demon Fang!
Damn, I must be a genius! Double Demon Fang!"

User Info: ScreamingMidget

ScreamingMidget
5 years ago#10
SuperFlik posted...
kingofjamaica posted...

Well then whatever you would like to the cable that came with my PS3, with the red, yellow and white output cables.

rahmed51387 posted...

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

SCART. In which case I suggest getting an HDTV already!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. My PS3's VGA cables suddenly stopped working

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived