This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Cleaning and replacing thermal paste?

User Info: Dias_Flac_Og

Dias_Flac_Og
3 months ago#1
I recently found a mint condition Jasper (Fat) xbox 360. It works great as far as I can see.

However it's a console from 2010. Would it be a good idea to open it up and clean out the 11 year old thermal paste and apply some new high quality thermal paste?

User Info: momo92

momo92
3 months ago#2
You shouldn't need to do that. The 360s manufactured from 2007 or older have the famous RROD issue due to their thermal paste wearing off.

I could be wrong however
"Music speaks when words fail!" Dokkan ID:748737433
XBL GT: Pathos Da Ghost

User Info: NemesisOgreKing

NemesisOgreKing
3 months ago#3
Couldn't hurt.
On the eighth day, God created Turok.
Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons.

User Info: bustedknuckles1

bustedknuckles1
3 months ago#4
I wouldn't, if it works fine use it. When you have a problem where it requires replacing the paste than you do it. If you do it now you could damge something than you have more repairs.
DYIPC Gamermax-w / MSI Z270 sli plus / G-skills 32gb DDR4 3200 / i-7 7700K / Hyper evo 212 / MSI RX 580 gaming X / Evga 750 supernova

User Info: VeryDarkSoul

VeryDarkSoul
2 months ago#5
waiting for the next topic "I replaced the thermal paste and now my xbox won't work!"
Gamefaqs allows its users to post anti-white sentiment unabashedly.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: zeldafanjtl

zeldafanjtl
1 month ago#6
I wouldn't do that. It's not something people commonly do on their consoles for maintenance.

momo92 posted...
You shouldn't need to do that. The 360s manufactured from 2007 or older have the famous RROD issue due to their thermal paste wearing off.

I could be wrong however

RROD was caused by a lead-free solder that melted at common operating temperatures.
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

User Info: vampirehunterx

vampirehunterx
1 month ago#7
Wish I could find a modded one not for piracy just save games to hdd run em off it to save laser.
Sure you can use 360 on a one but It's a nostalgia thing.
I do that on my ps3 just save to hdd to save laser and my old ps2 free mcboot
it's not piracy long as you keep the game
"now Let love bleed darker and deeper then the seas of hell" Lynx Chrono Cross.
FFTA marche did nothing wrong escapism is bad.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: momo92

momo92
1 month ago#8
zeldafanjtl posted...
RROD was caused by a lead-free solder that melted at common operating temperatures.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up
"Music speaks when words fail!" Dokkan ID:748737433
XBL GT: Pathos Da Ghost

User Info: Citan_KL

Citan_KL
1 month ago#9
thermal paste aside, i would personally open up and thoroughly clean the inside of an 11 year old console regardless. how extensive of a teardown is needed would be apparent pretty early on, but dust finds its way into everything, and a pristine console from the outside can still have fans and heatsinks caked with dust inside.

if we're talking the paste between heatsink and cpu/gpu then it's really not a big deal, especially if I'm already tearing it down to clean. this will give me a chance to get to more of the board with compressed air and contact cleaner, and then reapply fresh paste. if we're talking about de-lidding the processors to replace that paste, then i don't recommend anyone doing that.. but i've only heard people doing that to fat ps3s.

in the end it comes down to how much of a tinkerer you are. with a new console you always have a relatively good idea what's going on inside dust-wise depending on how often you use it, vacuum it, blow it out with air. that stuff is a mystery with anything pre-owned.. and i like knowing, so i always open and clean it so I can then maintain it as if it were new. plus, cleaning out and lubing up the disc drive's gears & rails is also really important.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Cleaning and replacing thermal paste?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A