This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Just got a used 360, what are the ins and outs I need to know?

User Info: Garioshi

Garioshi
3 months ago#1
I've been a huge Nintendo guy my entire life (I have everything from the N64 forward), but a 360 with a Kinect for $30 is something I can't turn down. Got these games for under $30:
https://imgtc.com/i/Z7HPTWh.jpg
and I'm wondering what other games I should get as well as any little tidbits of general knowledge I should have.
"I play with myself" - Darklit_Minuet, 2018

User Info: DeltaBladeX

DeltaBladeX
3 months ago#2
Get the rest of the Saints Row series for sure.

Also, make an XBox Live account (don't need to pay unless you want Gold for online and most free games), as right now you can get Crackdown 1 and 2 for free.
I'm not lazy, I just don't care
http://backloggery.com/DeltaBladeXNZ - https://steamcommunity.com/id/DeltaBladeX

Garioshi
3 months ago#3
DeltaBladeX posted...
Get the rest of the Saints Row series for sure.

Also, make an XBox Live account (don't need to pay unless you want Gold for online and most free games), as right now you can get Crackdown 1 and 2 for free.

Thanks, love me some free games.
(message deleted)

User Info: DarkHalf91

DarkHalf91
3 months ago#5
You should consider a hard drive for it if your Xbox 360 didn't have one. You probably can get away without one but if you want faster load times you may want to get one.

With one you just press the X button on the play game icon and install the whole game onto hard drive. You will still need the disc inside the 360 to read and show you own the game but game itself plays off hard drive instead of the disc. This helps speed up load times and what not. It also helps reduce wear and tear on the disc drive which is a plus. Only game I know you can't install is Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

Just be aware that original Xbox 360 model used a different hard drive or something then the Slim and E models. Slim and E models use same hard drive though. I have a 500gb hard drive that cost me $40 but only used 100gb of it. You can surely find cheaper for say a 250gb hard drive.

Just some of my favorite games but may not be what you are into. I take it you don't have a PS3 so this is both exclusives and not exclusive. Also not home to look at my collection so will add more later since this is off top of my head.

Dead or Alive 4
Red Dead Redemption (first one of course)
Saints Row 4 (I haven't played 1 and 2)
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
Elder Scrolls Oblivion (If you like Skyrim)
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Spec Ops The Line
Ace Combat 6
Tony Hawk Underground (Actually a OG Xbox game but is backwards compatible with Xbox 360)
Kutabare

User Info: Boogie_WoogieWu

Boogie_WoogieWu
3 months ago#6
Was it an original, S, or E model?

Garioshi
3 months ago#7
DarkHalf91 posted...
You should consider a hard drive for it if your Xbox 360 didn't have one. You probably can get away without one but if you want faster load times you may want to get one.

With one you just press the X button on the play game icon and install the whole game onto hard drive. You will still need the disc inside the 360 to read and show you own the game but game itself plays off hard drive instead of the disc. This helps speed up load times and what not. It also helps reduce wear and tear on the disc drive which is a plus. Only game I know you can't install is Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

Just be aware that original Xbox 360 model used a different hard drive or something then the Slim and E models. Slim and E models use same hard drive though. I have a 500gb hard drive that cost me $40 but only used 100gb of it. You can surely find cheaper for say a 250gb hard drive.

Just some of my favorite games but may not be what you are into. I take it you don't have a PS3 so this is both exclusives and not exclusive. Also not home to look at my collection so will add more later since this is off top of my head.

Dead or Alive 4
Red Dead Redemption (first one of course)
Saints Row 4 (I haven't played 1 and 2)
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
Elder Scrolls Oblivion (If you like Skyrim)
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Spec Ops The Line
Ace Combat 6
Tony Hawk Underground (Actually a OG Xbox game but is backwards compatible with Xbox 360)

It's got a 60 GB hard drive already, so I think I'm good on that front. Will definitely be installing most of my games as I play them. I'll also definitely be considering your recommendations.
Boogie_WoogieWu posted...
Was it an original, S, or E model?

Original, afaik.

DarkHalf91
3 months ago#8
Garioshi posted...
Original, afaik.

Please tell me you didn't buy it from GameStop. I am not saying you personally got a bad console but if you did get from GameStop you may want to watch this and be careful. https://youtu.be/AUVf9QSN9E8
Kutabare

Garioshi
3 months ago#9
DarkHalf91 posted...
Garioshi posted...
Original, afaik.

Please tell me you didn't buy it from GameStop. I am not saying you personally got a bad console but if you did get from GameStop you may want to watch this and be careful. https://youtu.be/AUVf9QSN9E8

Got it from a thrift store. Still better than GameStop tbh

DarkHalf91
3 months ago#10
Garioshi posted...
Got it from a thrift store. Still better than GameStop tbh

If that is a original then you still need to be careful of Red Ring of Death. I only have the E model so hopefully I don't have to worry as much. It is my OG backwards compatible 60gb PS3 I worry about.

You probably already know this but launch model Xbox 360 have high failure rates called red ring of death while launch PS3's have failure issues know as Yellow light of death aka YLOD.

Do you have pictures of the system like maybe serial numbers or anything to help identify? Maybe someone with more experience in RROD could help on if yours are one of these launch 360's.
Kutabare
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Just got a used 360, what are the ins and outs I need to know?
  • Topic Archived