This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Why do they call it Xbox 360?

User Info: Goku_the_third

Goku_the_third
1 month ago#11
it was called 360 as a play on the PS3 and the then Nintendo codename "Revolution"
3ds FC: 1564-2430-1250
2ds FC: 2423-4717-9771

User Info: InuboyNetwork

InuboyNetwork
1 month ago#12
The real reason is they wanted the name of the platform to represent that you, the gamer, were always center stage.
Watch as I surpass my own origin!!!

User Info: The Bad Guy

The Bad Guy
4 weeks ago#13
dancer62 posted...
everyone had to buy at least two PS3s to have one that works.

not me, mine is the first sony system I never had to replace, tho.

I did wait until the slim tho (not on purpose, just happened to be when I got one)
je suis chuckyhacks
2/29/08 - neber forget

User Info: botsrule

botsrule
4 weeks ago#14
Sixth generation (1998–2013)

Xbox
Playstation 2
Gamecube
Dreamcast

Seventh generation (2005–2017)

Xbox (3)60
Playstation (3)
Wii

I read somewhere that Microsoft execs were afraid of calling it the Xbox 2 because the Playstation 3 would seem like it was "one generation better". Subconsciously Xbox (3)60 and Playstation (3) sounds like they are on par with one another.

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
4 weeks ago#15
botsrule posted...
I read somewhere that Microsoft execs were afraid of calling it the Xbox 2 because the Playstation 3 would seem like it was "one generation better". Subconsciously Xbox (3)60 and Playstation (3) sounds like they are on par with one another.

If true, they could have re-designated the original model as Xbox 01 with a binary "1". Then next-gen could be Xbox 10 with binary "2", solving both problems with a single stroke.

[ Current-gen console would be Xbox 11 with binary "3"--logical and appearing higher-numbered than PS4. ]
'~'

botsrule
4 weeks ago#16
andri_g posted...
botsrule posted...

If true, they could have re-designated the original model as Xbox 01 with a binary "1". Then next-gen could be Xbox 10 with binary "2", solving both problems with a single stroke.

[ Current-gen console would be Xbox 11 with binary "3"--logical and appearing higher-numbered than PS4. ]

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOn_ySghN2Y

User Info: andri_g

andri_g
4 weeks ago#17
lol, but this would mean that the PS2 was a figment of mass delusion (one of my favorite consoles... or was it)?

And that Portal 2 never existed? And that Highlander 2... hmm... as much as I like Michael Ironside, that *might* be worth it.

[ Btw, there must be "2". Binary is two-state signalling; without it, all things digital, including this reply, would not exist. ]
'~'

botsrule
4 weeks ago#18
There can be only 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs

L < XL (sometimes)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLonCQfXUAUOyg8.jpg

User Info: Hell_Thrasher

Hell_Thrasher
3 weeks ago#19
dancer62 posted...
If you turned 180, you'd walk away, turn a complete 360 circle and you're still walking toward the best Generation 7 system.

Why 360? It's still around.

Forza, Halo, multiplats, B/C with favorite OG Xbox games like Phantom Crash, Roadkill, etc.

You'd turn towards a Wii?

(Sorry, 360 is great... but Smash, and MKWii, and Xenoblade, and Fire Emblem, and Sonic Colours, and Goldeneye, and...)
"If the anime doesn't make me question if I'm on cocaine, then it's not worth my time" - The greatest human being who ever lived.

User Info: Hell_Thrasher

Hell_Thrasher
3 weeks ago#20
dancer62 posted...
Supersoldier105 posted...
If you turned 180, you'd walk away, turn a complete 360 circle and you're still walking toward the best Generation 7 system.

NO,

PS3 dominates the Garbagebox 360. It's just a fact and the fact that the PS3 has more and better exclusives, with the fact that the PS3 outsold it also proves my point.

Sorry, I have both, and the 360 outpoints the PS3 in every way. Forza is vastly superior to Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate my PS3 as an external hard drive for my Vita, and for GT. But the 360 is superior for multiplats and has B/C for favorite OG games. My original hardware B/C PS3 died of YLOD, my PS3 slim is fine, but B/C is reliable on Xbox.

If others' experience is like mine, the PS3 had to outsell the 360, because everyone had to buy at least two PS3s to have one that works.

^This.

PS3 was f***ing trash.
Further proof that Sony needs to go bankrupt (as if the s*** heaps that were the PS1 and PS2 weren't evidence enough). I've owned Nintendo, Sega, MS, and Sony platforms. Sony is always the last option.

Honestly shocked it's even an option for a lot of people, but I guess "fifth best" is good enough for some.
"If the anime doesn't make me question if I'm on cocaine, then it's not worth my time" - The greatest human being who ever lived.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Why do they call it Xbox 360?