This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox 360 controller used by US Navy to control periscopes

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Xbox 360 controller used by US Navy to control periscopes

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
6 months ago#1
https://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/the-u-s-navy-s-most-advanced-submarines-will-soon/article_5c24eefc-8e70-5c4a-9d82-00d29e052b76.html

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/pilotonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/05/805c4c0f-9db2-5ea7-af5f-64cff4d511a2/59bbdd04d7eab.image.jpg

The U.S. Navy's most advanced submarines will soon be using Xbox controllers

"Eichenlaub said the Navy doesn’t plan on stopping innovation with the Xbox controller, either. The goal is to develop technology that young people already are comfortable with, such as working with electronic touch screens on iPads and in virtual environments.

“Ideally, what they want to see in 10 years down the road is, there’s basically a glass panel display with windows, and you can just pull a window of information, review that, push it off, bring in the next window,” he said.

“They want to bring in sailors with what they have at home on their personal laptop, their personal desktop, what they grew up with in a classroom.”

Article is from last September.

User Info: WalkingWiki

WalkingWiki
6 months ago#2
Pretty cool IMO. It makes a ton of sense with both the screens and the controllers, since kids/teens these days are getting more and more into either one of the two or both (with a lot knowing both)
Currently playing: Call of Duty: World War II, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Gears of War 4, Borderlands

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
6 months ago#3
This is not the first time the military has used software and hardware from the gaming industry for military use. Lockheed Martin bought the rights to Microsoft Flight Simulator from Microsoft in 2009, along with hiring some of its developers to help create Prepar3D, a flight simulator designed for training and instruction which military units use to build their operational skills by training in various aircraft and vehicles before entering into real-life combat situations. Airlines and aviation related companies use them to train pilots and air traffic control staff under a wide variety of flight conditions. Emergency and rescue teams are able to simulate various crisis situations to develop disaster-preparedness skills.

I personally just use MFSX steam edition myself because it cost less and the support in terms of free and paid mods and adds on is just much more available and developed at a reasonable price than Prepar3D.

I think using gaming hardware and software makes it easier for the armed services to recruit personnel as well, since the transition and learning curve won't be so steep for new recruits who would be already familiar with them.

As for the article above, it makes me feel good next time I play a submarine simulator game like Silent Hunter 5 knowing that the USN is actually planning to use the 360 gamepad to control their periscopes in real submarines.

User Info: Gunzleader

Gunzleader
6 months ago#4
pretty cool
Im Ericsh(SD) from phantasy star online dreamcast. Gamecube ver. Myst lv 195 RAmarl. no longer hiding from my past.
RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Xbox 360 controller used by US Navy to control periscopes

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived