This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looks like MS finally removed the patch limit on the system cache?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Looks like MS finally removed the patch limit on the system cache?

User Info: KunioInTraining

KunioInTraining
7 months ago#1
Remember how you could only store a certain amount of game updates on older 360 titles? I just noticed that this is no longer the case. I just patched my entire library of like 100+ Xbox 360 games on disc and arcade titles. Then went back and put the disc of the first game i tested back in, and it didn't redownload the update.

Am I just imagining things? If not, when did this change happen? Cause it was looong overdue. I am guessing this has something to do with Xbox One Backwards compatibility, to make it less annoying to play these titles on there and having to constantly re-patch them.

Must have changed the whole way the file system for updates works.

Anyone else notice this? I'm gonna test some more, but so far I haven't been able to get any of my 100+ games to download an update again.

Thank god, now my Xbox 360 games actually feel somewhat future proofed!

User Info: Boogie_WoogieWu

Boogie_WoogieWu
7 months ago#2
Newer games don't use the cache for updates.

Not sure when they changed it, but newer games have their updates saved as regular files, listed the same as DLC, saves, and game installs.

KunioInTraining
7 months ago#3
Boogie_WoogieWu posted...
Newer games don't use the cache for updates.

Not sure when they changed it, but newer games have their updates saved as regular files, listed the same as DLC, saves, and game installs.

Yes i know this, not speaking of newer games.

Either way i did some more testing, and i started getting patches again. So i'm not sure. The limit might be bigger than before, but there's still a limit in place it seems :(

User Info: beautifuldreams

beautifuldreams
7 months ago#4
did you recently get a bigger HDD by chance? when i upgraded to a 500gb it seemed to me like it was alowing more title updates to be cached than i remembered, but i never did any testing
nyuuuuuuuuu~

KunioInTraining
7 months ago#5
beautifuldreams posted...
did you recently get a bigger HDD by chance? when i upgraded to a 500gb it seemed to me like it was alowing more title updates to be cached than i remembered, but i never did any testing

My last 360 was the 120 fat elite model, and this is a 320 gb slim, so maybe that's why. I wish there was a way to know for sure, i'd upgrade to a 1 tb if i knew i could store all my patches.

User Info: spooie

spooie
7 months ago#6
I have a 2TB hard drive with over 200 full Xbox games and another 100 XBLIGs. I'm not even at 700GB yet.
Owner of NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, X360, XB1, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DS Lite, PSP and a lot of crappy games.

User Info: beautifuldreams

beautifuldreams
7 months ago#7
i think the cached patches are limited to being stored on the internal drive, so an external wouldn't help
nyuuuuuuuuu~

User Info: spooie

spooie
7 months ago#8
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can transfer them... just not copy them. I did a backup of my Xbox 360 files last month and made sure to clone them exactly on two separate external hard drives. The updates would never copy, but I would transfer them and then re-download the patch.
Owner of NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, SMS, GEN, TG16, PSX, PS2, PS3, XBOX, X360, XB1, GB, GBC, GBA SP, GB Micro, DS, DS Lite, PSP and a lot of crappy games.

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
7 months ago#9
hmm so was the cache expanded or are we not sure? and if its size was tied to the size of internal hdd i feel like it would have been common knowledge for most of us, though i don't believe i ever heard anyone mention it. still, i've been waiting to transfer my 250gb over to a new 500gb i've had for over a year now.. might as well get to it.

TC, was the first game you popped back in after updating your collection maybe one that saves updates to its own file? either way, microsoft really needs to do this before support for the 360 officially ends. it cannot be a difficult thing to implement..
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned
Gamertag/NNID: Bonepill

User Info: Nogib

Nogib
7 months ago#10
This has been something bothering me since the 360 first came out. And honestly the design to only hold a few games' title updates was likely tied to the fact that not every system had a hard drive. Had they just made the HDD mandatory like it was on the original Xbox and the Xbox One, they never would have made this annoying title update system with unknown limits.

And like others this concerns me in the long run as the day will come when the 360 is offline and we won't be able to have all the title updates from so many games that didn't use the later feature to make it look like a save/dlc file.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Looks like MS finally removed the patch limit on the system cache?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived