This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got the 360 from Gamestop for 'free' - here are the games I got.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Got the 360 from Gamestop for 'free' - here are the games I got.

User Info: SolidSnake6785

SolidSnake6785
3 months ago#1
I bought the system, a year warranty for 9.99, and 4 games...all for a little under 30 bucks combined after the rebate. Here are my games...I was going for big exclusives I've missed out on over the years having only ever owned Sony consoles.

Alan Wake
Splinter Cell Conviction
Gears of War 1
Prey (2006)

How'd I do? Anything I'm missing?
But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. ---Romans 5:8

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
3 months ago#2
I also got the "free" with rebate Xbox 360 console today. I just wanted to warn you that this is the original Arcade model that was notorious for getting RROD and not lasting long. If you plan to use this unit regularly like you mentioned, it was a good decision to get the warranty.

In my case I already have an Xbox 360 Slim model, but I wanted a backup(which I will place in storage) in case my regular unit malfunctions.

I could also use an extra controller for my gaming PC, so I don't have to keep changing synchronization between my PC and console or for an extra player to use in Co-op gaming situations.

The unit I received unlike my S model, did not have an internal wifi adapter, so I would have needed to get one if necessary, or use an ethernet cable.

First thing I noticed when I got home is that this older unit was bigger and heavier than my Xbox 360 Slim and a lot louder after I turned it on. I connected it to my TV and turned it on to make sure it was functional and able to play 360 discs before storing it in my closet.

Aside from the loud noise coming from the unit, it seems to function as intended and I was able to play the intro of Red Dead Redemption without any issues. I am just not sure how long it would last if I used it as my primary console, but fortunately it will only serve as a backup and stored in my closet in the interim.

Anyways since I had no plans of using this unit within the term(for 1 year) of the warranty and only obtained it as a backup, I decided not to purchase the warranty. However my purchase is already paying dividends as I am using the extra controller(pleasantly surprised to get the white model to contrast with my regular black one) specifically for my gaming PC as well as being available for an extra player if I wanted to engage in Co-op gaming on either console or PC. The HDMI cable that came with this unit might be also useful if I ever need one in the future.

FireDrakeZ
3 months ago#3
With regards to games, hopefully you took advantage of the 4 for $10 deal at Gamestop, that I posted earlier. There are a lot of games that are exclusive to the Xbox 360 that are part of this deal, including some of the Halo games, Fable series, Gears of War series, Forza Horizon series, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc.

Just look at the U $10 category at the Gamestop website for Xbox 360 games and try to find those that are below $5.

User Info: Phase 8

Phase 8
3 months ago#4
I also got the "free" Xbox 360 today, though I did not pick up any games yet(primarily got it for Tales of Vesperia). I was disappointed when I found out it didn't have a HDD, though a friend at work is offering me a spare 20GB one for free.

I did opt to get the 1 year warranty, as I'm aware of the failure rate of early-model 360s. Of special note though is that the back of my console has a sticker that says "Jasper". From what I heard from a friend, Jasper-models are the most reliable of the pre-S models. Due to the pre-owned-ness of the console, I guess I can't verify for certain that it is a Jasper and that someone didn't just slap the sticker on, but hopefully it's true and I can get a bit more reliability from it.
"Veil of time descend. Atop the ash tree wend. Light of the stars portend. The feather shalt transcend..."
PSN - theonesin, Pawn: Dmitri(Mage)

FireDrakeZ
3 months ago#5
Phase 8 posted...
I also got the "free" Xbox 360 today, though I did not pick up any games yet(primarily got it for Tales of Vesperia). I was disappointed when I found out it didn't have a HDD, though a friend at work is offering me a spare 20GB one for free.

I did opt to get the 1 year warranty, as I'm aware of the failure rate of early-model 360s. Of special note though is that the back of my console has a sticker that says "Jasper". From what I heard from a friend, Jasper-models are the most reliable of the pre-S models. Due to the pre-owned-ness of the console, I guess I can't verify for certain that it is a Jasper and that someone didn't just slap the sticker on, but hopefully it's true and I can get a bit more reliability from it.

Just wanted to mention that Tales of Vesperia is currently on sale at the Xbox store for $3.74 if you have a gold subscription(currently available for $1 for one month trial). You might need a hard drive to download this game I believe from the store. Otherwise you can buy a physical disc instead.

One question I would like to ask is whether this older model has the appropriate USB connections and updated firmware to accommodate an external hard drive. Because of the firmware update last year, my Xbox 360 S console was able to accommodate a 1 TB external hard drive via USB in addition to the 250 GB internal HD that it came with.

Phase 8
3 months ago#6
Thanks for the sale update, though I was already aware of it(also saw another RPG on my radar, Lost Odyssey is also pretty cheap). I didn't know about the 4 for $10 used game thing, so I'm currently browsing Gamestop's website for potential things.

As for other thing, a friend of mine told me about how the Xbox 360 was updated to where it can run games off of USB drives or external HDDs, though he didn't specify if it was only the S(I thought think he'd have mentioned it to me if it wasn't compatible with the Arcade).
"Veil of time descend. Atop the ash tree wend. Light of the stars portend. The feather shalt transcend..."

FireDrakeZ
3 months ago#7
I have Lost Oddysey and recommend it as well. You might also want to look up Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery which are also JRPGs and 360 exclusives although they might not be under $5.

Hopefully an external hard drive would be compatible, since that would solve as the storage device for you 360. Microsoft added the firmware for the 360's last year to accommodate this and I presume that this will work for all the models of 360s.

Phase 8
3 months ago#8
A coworker has mentioned Blue Dragon before, but I'm not sure what he thinks of it(he seems to get annoyed/burnt out on games quickly). I am really on the lookout for exclusive games to pick up, especially anything in that 4 for $10 thing. Some things that piqued my interest were Kameo: Elements of Power, Project Sylpheed, Record of Agarest War, and Zone of the Enders HD Collection(which I know isn't exclusive, but fits well into the deal and I never played ZoE 2). Not a big shooter fan, so I'm avoiding the likes of Halo.

FireDrakeZ
3 months ago#9
One thing though if you order games online with that deal, you might not get manuals or the original cases for those games. They might provide you a generic Gamestop case instead. This doesn't apply in all cases, since I believe they will ship it with case and manual if it is available for the disc you ordered. You might also need to pay for shipping unless you reach a certain price level that they will waive those charges altogether.

You can also buy those games under the deal from the store, to avoid any shipping charges. However preowned store discs tend to not always be in the best shape compared to those coming from the corporate store, which are refurbished by the company.

User Info: SolidSnake6785

SolidSnake6785
3 months ago#10
Ughhh
Help...
Forgot how archaic this system is...or I didn’t know...
No built in wifi and I need an external to play Alan Wake?!?! Is that an episodic game or something?

Rats...
But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. ---Romans 5:8
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Got the 360 from Gamestop for 'free' - here are the games I got.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived