This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason why xbox live is now giving out free games..

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. What is the reason why xbox live is now giving out free games..

User Info: oasisbeyond

oasisbeyond
4 years ago#11
1. Cuz they screwed up big time and trying to suck us back in.
2. Cuz they now have competition with sony when it comes to online, you now need to pay for both.
3 To get people use to buying online cuz that where gaming will eventually go. Soon enough the kiddies will laugh at us for having to go in stores to buy discs.

User Info: scoobydoobydont

scoobydoobydont
4 years ago#12
Everything MS does like this is a test. Kinect 1 was a test, Smartglass 360 was a test, XBL and Arcade on XB1 was a test, $3-5 GoD ultra sales was a test, 1 vs 100 was a test, and this is no different. Yeah, yeah, there's PS+ and whatever, but the reason MS is *actually doing* it is to test the reception it gets and viability for X1. Do the benefits outweigh the costs. How much good will does it engender. Despite what [posters of a certain bias] like to pretend, Gold keeps selling better and better, they have no burning need to rip off PS+ just because some fans really like their rentals.They're doing it for their own reasons on their own schedule, and tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those things MS decides isn't worth the effort. Already most posts about it are whining, and it won't drive gold subs that much since they are offering either no-names or games everyone already has.
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png

User Info: kwarantine

kwarantine
4 years ago#13
Brucebee posted...
the game is free and they lure people in with that then hook them with the DLC. its a smart move actually.

that and getting people used to GoD I guess?

or it could be an apology in advance because they sold out with the one and know they are into greedy f***s.

So far the dlc for the games hasn't been worth it. Unless you like extra levels for tower defense or an extra hour of gameplay from AC2, why bother. You get the meat of the potatoes with these free games. People are only mad they didn't get everything because they're entitles little ***** who think just because it's dlc it must be Ballad of gay tony quality
GT: Menace 117 PSN: Menace117
I would've liked to run tests on those seashells. - Mordin Solus

User Info: DrFeelgood1984

DrFeelgood1984
4 years ago#14
wahabwasim posted...
What is the reason why xbox live is now giving out 2 free games for the year?

Does anyone know what other games will be given next month?

1. They are not free
2. The reason is to sell DLC for games that are no longer selling

No one really knows ahead of time which games will be released. Probably gonna be at least one worthless game per month since they kicked it off with a tower defense game. For the GoD releases, expect games that sold well but are well past their prime sales window (ACII, Halo 3) and also have a lot of DLC to !@#$ the wallets of dumb people.

User Info: TheBlueStig

TheBlueStig
4 years ago#15
DrFeelgood1984 posted...
wahabwasim posted...

1. They are not free

No one really knows ahead of time which games will be released. Probably gonna be at least one worthless game per month since they kicked it off with a tower defense game. For the GoD releases, expect games that sold well but are well past their prime sales window (ACII, Halo 3) and also have a lot of DLC to !@#$ the wallets of dumb people.

They are free with Gold, and people pay for Gold (or obtain it for free) for other reasons.

The DLC is always OPTIONAL.

And just an FYI, you can get all the DLC map packs for Halo 3 for free when you buy ODST, so your theory doesn't hold up.
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/gallery.aspx?gamertag=TheBlueStig
My Forza 4 gallery, all paintjobs available for purchase on my storefront.

User Info: thekozmicpig

thekozmicpig
4 years ago#16
Look at it this way.

Would you rather pay $20 for a game and $15 for DLC, or pay $0 for a game and $15 for DLC?

It's like MS goes to your house and gives you free Xbox and you go "Sweet a free Xbox...wait...I still need to buy games. DAMN YOU MS!"

Can we just enjoy the fact that free games exist?
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
4 years ago#17
DrFeelgood1984 posted...

1. They are not free

Anyone can get a free month of Gold, so YES.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: DrFeelgood1984

DrFeelgood1984
4 years ago#18
TheBlueStig posted...
DrFeelgood1984 posted...
wahabwasim posted...

1. They are not free

They are free with Gold, and people pay for Gold (or obtain it for free) for other reasons.

The DLC is always OPTIONAL.

And just an FYI, you can get all the DLC map packs for Halo 3 for free when you buy ODST, so your theory doesn't hold up.

Huuuurrrrr Durrrrr!

Jesus !@#$%&* Christ. I gotta start a business if it's this easy to legally take money from idiots.

User Info: JKSonic

JKSonic
4 years ago#19
- They need to compete with PS+...although less so now since PS4 will require payment to play online at all

- XB1 isn't BC with the 360 in any way so they probably figured why the f not.

- They needed to do something with all the negative media surrounding them lately.
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)

User Info: Renamon

Renamon
4 years ago#20
Was it really neccessary to bump an old topic just to argue about this, FeelGood?

If you subscribe to Gold just for the games, you're doing it wrong, but you can still get 11 games for the price of one, so it's still a good deal.

As it's been said, the DLC is optional, you don't have to buy it. I don't see why people are making a river out of tears over MS not giving the DLC for free too, vs buying an actual disc at a store.
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. What is the reason why xbox live is now giving out free games..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived