• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fable II
  3. Can someone please make a list of what Peter Molyneux promised for Fable 1?

User Info: BlueWild

BlueWild
10 years ago#1
I see a lot of people complain about his supposed lies, but I never see any real substance. As far as I know Peter just liked to talk about things he'd "love" to incorporate into the game. I didn't actually hear promises. I didn't really hear him say "this WILL be" or "I promise."

I'd like to finally figure out if this was actually Peter's fault or if the internet crowd really just has no idea what they're talking about.
GT - OPTIMUS DONK
BRB BOWFLEXING

User Info: Despairol

Despairol
10 years ago#2
That was the internet my friend and the media that blew it all out of proportion he didnt exactly promise anything
Quote from revelations 22:13
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, The Beginning and the End, The First and the Last"

User Info: jai683

jai683
10 years ago#3
if you really looked at the game in some ways what he wanted did come in a different way and people want to see it clearly
where's is it? i lost it
where did you lose it? over there.

User Info: fishboyisdabomb

fishboyisdabomb
10 years ago#4
An incomplete list:
-Female playable characters
-An open world that could be explored by and path (as in The Elder Scrolls)
-A quest system in which tasks could be "stolen" (taken before you do) by NPC's, creating dynamic rivalries with other heroes
-Permanent marks on trees
-A posse system; townsfolk would gather together and hunt you down when you started causing trouble
-A revenge system; the sons of those you had killed would, eventually, grow and train to become lethal warriors, tracking you down for vengeance.
-"The best RPG ever" -Actual quote from magazine interviews
-The ability to marry and have children
-When you die, your children were supposed to carry on your quest for you.
-Real time aging, including deaths due to natural causes

That's all I can think of for now. And no, this wasn't the internet or the press misquoting the man, these are his actual claims. And he repeated these claims right up until launch, even when he must ahve known that incorporating them into the game just wasn't possible with the remaining time. He promises everything, and delivers much less- tainting his products.

Essentially, to paraphrase everyone's favorite review Yahtzee, Fable would have been far better is Peter Molyneux had just learned to shut up.
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Real men press Z twice.

User Info: --DC--

--DC--
10 years ago#5

- You would be able to plant an oak tree and carve your name into it. Then return years later and see it grown

- You could take any weapon, make it amazing and all powerful, and the weapon itself would become famous

- You could have kids and later play as them if you died

- If you spent more time outside during the nighttime your skin would become pale

- You would literally "grow from a child to an adult" but in reality it took only like a 10 minute tutorial..

- Your enemies would attack your family/house if you became a noble hero

Other things people were angry about were the amount of times the game was delayed and how small the game world was. Some areas were cut from the game.

User Info: WillametteMind

WillametteMind
10 years ago#6
Yeah most of this seems correct. It's what happend with Fable 1 that makes me nervous about pre-ordering the collectors edition.
"I went up to my cat and was like 'Hey sexy lady, I like your flow. Your body's bangin, out of control' but she just hissed and fell back asleep "

User Info: Despairol

Despairol
10 years ago#7
Hes learned his lesson then and i think he is being more careful about distributing info on the game until hes sure its already put in like the dog for instance.
Quote from revelations 22:13
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, The Beginning and the End, The First and the Last"

User Info: BlueWild

BlueWild
10 years ago#8
-Female playable characters
Which is being added and has been made into more than what it possibly could have been on the XBOX.

Regardless of the linear pathing, the world was pretty large. For the level of graphics used it seemed pretty reasonable to me. And for the most part, Fable environments were unique, Elder Scrolls mostly re-use the same type of areas with the exception of dungeons. I don't see how people can actually complain about this and then praise Final Fantasy games.

-A quest system in which tasks could be "stolen" (taken before you do) by NPC's, creating dynamic rivalries with other heroes
Well this was "technically" added as certain quests at the beginning of the game would disappear as if stolen by other heroes, and Whisper took other sides of quests which did in turn create a sort of rivalry.

Wow, yeah, game breaking feature that definitely makes Peter deserving of all the hate he gets.

-A posse system; townsfolk would gather together and hunt you down when you started causing trouble
Guards did this, and townsfolk would fight back if you hit them I believe. Assassins were also sent after you ingame for your defeat of Twinblade.

-A revenge system; the sons of those you had killed would, eventually, grow and train to become lethal warriors, tracking you down for vengeance.
This is basically what assassins were. Not sons, but you get the idea.

Man, so many games do this these days its not even worth bringing up anymore.

Which is being added and has been made into more than what it possibly could have been on the XBOX.

This would be an extremely stupid game feature and would totally take you out of your character's motivation to move through the story, and basically destroy everything you had built into your original character. Seriously. Revenge? Wasn't that the point of Fable's main story in the first place? A bit redundant.

Death due to natural causes would be idiotic. Yeah, 90 years old and fighting a group of skeletons only to die from a heart attack mid battle? No thanks. Real time aging ... so basically a day would be 1 minute long and you'd age that way? Cause true real time aging would be ridiculous. Even then, 1 minute per day would require AGES to get even to your 40s.

Basically what I'm seeing here is a bunch of nonsense features that would've proved either detrimental to the gameplay, taken you out of the experience or had to many problems to implement well at the time. Not to mention many of the features had "Spiritual successors" of sorts.

If these are the reasons people hate Molyneux, there's something wrong here. Especially considering he's really done nothing but show videos of his information this time around. And yet there is topic after topic of "Molyneux is a liar Fable II will suck." I just don't get it, and what's completely out of my comprehension is that most people don't even know what was left out of the first game and just insult Peter ignorantly. /sigh
GT - OPTIMUS DONK
BRB BOWFLEXING

User Info: Nubcake13

Nubcake13
10 years ago#9
BlueWild, its a list for what was supposed to be in the last game, not whats is going to be in this game whether it would be better or not.

"-Female playable characters

yes but it was still promised to be in the last game

Regardless of the linear pathing, the world was pretty large. For the level of graphics used it seemed pretty reasonable to me. And for the most part, Fable environments were unique, Elder Scrolls mostly re-use the same type of areas with the exception of dungeons. I don't see how people can actually complain about this and then praise Final Fantasy games.

the world was not acutally that big and thte regions were very small

Well this was "technically" added as certain quests at the beginning of the game would disappear as if stolen by other heroes, and Whisper took other sides of quests which did in turn create a sort of rivalry.

Yes but every qust save three form the beginngi you chose if you wanted to do them whenever whisper alwalys chose after you.

Wow, yeah, game breaking feature that definitely makes Peter deserving of all the hate he gets.

True

Guards did this, and townsfolk would fight back if you hit them I believe. Assassins were also sent after you ingame for your defeat of Twinblade.

yes guards not townsfolk they would come after you only if you casued them harm not the town as a whole

This is basically what assassins were. Not sons, but you get the idea.

Not the same but close enough

Man, so many games do this these days its not even worth bringing up anymore.

Good point

It was still not in the original stated before

This would be an extremely stupid game feature and would totally take you out of your character's motivation to move through the story, and basically destroy everything you had built into your original character. Seriously. Revenge? Wasn't that the point of Fable's main story in the first place? A bit redundant.

Agreed

Death due to natural causes would be idiotic. Yeah, 90 years old and fighting a group of skeletons only to die from a heart attack mid battle? No thanks. Real time aging ... so basically a day would be 1 minute long and you'd age that way? Cause true real time aging would be ridiculous. Even then, 1 minute per day would require AGES to get even to your
40s.

Agreed

You have some good points, buy even if the there are "Spiritual successors" of sorts they were still false promises, It is true that he has been showing vids of nearly every thing he promised this time, so lets try not to dwell on the past and just look forward to Fable 2

User Info: The_Schiester

The_Schiester
10 years ago#10
Even if Fable 2 turns out to be Fable 1 with a new story, a dog, and guns it'll still be pretty great.
  1. Boards
  2. Fable II
  3. Can someone please make a list of what Peter Molyneux promised for Fable 1?
  • Topic Archived