• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. Whats a good way to get better if you're crap?

User Info: Chimamire_Ninja

Chimamire_Ninja
11 years ago#1
I've beaten the game and hard campaign but largely through the use of FAQs to get good ranks. I'm capable of beating most maps with either my best CO's (Kanbei, Javier, and Colin) or with forces on. In the later maps in the War Room I just get killed all the time. How can I effectively practice and learn to actually get good at this game without the use of crutches? General game pointers and how to rush properly would probably help me a lot.
The true Blind_assassin
OMG, youre such a nationalist! I am call policecops on you!

User Info: DTaeKim

DTaeKim
11 years ago#2
First, you might want to drop Colin from your current CO roster. He offers unfair advantages over other COs.
Dum spiro, spero.
As long as I breathe, I hope.

User Info: nerd-boy

nerd-boy
11 years ago#3
Kanbei as well, to a lesser extent.

If you want to get better, it's best to either play with your strong COs sans skills, or with your weaker COs with only one skill, or something along those lines. Just play the War Room under these guidelines. Though for your first few shots you may not get very good scores, eventually, you'll be able to develop strategies.

Also:

http://awbw.amarriner.com
This sig space intentionally left blank.

User Info: thecooltodd

thecooltodd
11 years ago#4
Don't use any skills at all. When you learn not to rely on them the game becomes a lot easier (not to mention you can use it and make it uber easy).

Develop your own favorite strategy instead of relying on FAQs. I remember playing one of the best Sami players ever and I got owned >_>

Specifically which part are you having trouble with? Power? Technique? Speed? Gaining an advantage from behind?

If you're trying to gain advantage when you start off way behind, make sure you make capturing bases/air ports/ports your number one priority. Cities are your number two priority.
"Welcome to GameFAQs. Enjoy your stay." ~Blitzbolt
Rubik's Cube (3x3x3) solved in 20.87 seconds by me. ^_^

User Info: nerd-boy

nerd-boy
11 years ago#5
I remember playing one of the best Sami players ever and I got owned >_>

Out of curiosity, tct, was it thefalman that you played?
This sig space intentionally left blank.

Chimamire_Ninja
11 years ago#6
Speed and Technique are the two things i tend to have trouble with. I play very defensive and with a relatively small number of powerful units. It does manage against the computer but against a human that's probably the worst strategy ever unless you actually know what you're doing all the time.
The true Blind_assassin

User Info: danmiy12

danmiy12
11 years ago#7
use infintry wall, build infiantry and use them to block the enemy...1000 funds lost isnt a big deal esp if the infintry prevents the enmy from targeting a expensive unit...

dont use big and powerful units as a meat shield if you can help it they die quickly to a skilled players...

also...dont use/practice with the 3 broken cos hachi,grit, or colin often as they are considered cheap and usally are banned from tournement plays...
Jaonithin lv 11x sniper
Beelocan started octobet 15, 2006

User Info: thecooltodd

thecooltodd
11 years ago#8
Out of curiosity, tct, was it thefalman that you played?

At the time he was a new user who had plenty of experience from battling his friends on a DS. IIRC his name was tasthomas.

We were both Sami and I had 4 cities more than him and a lot of Anti-Airs and Copters. He managed to make use of APCs (better than any person I've ever seen) to transport Mechs into strategic positions where he could defend Artillery and take down my Anti-Air. He only had one Anti-Air that managed to take down my Copters.

Speed and Technique are the two things i tend to have trouble with. I play very defensive and with a relatively small number of powerful units. It does manage against the computer but against a human that's probably the worst strategy ever unless you actually know what you're doing all the time.

Speed, meh. You can get am S-rank without speed.
Technique, buy units you can buy a lot of and frequently join them if they're damaged. That way they don't count as a unit destroyed.

More units that are less powerful are much more effective than fewer stronger ones.
"Welcome to GameFAQs. Enjoy your stay." ~Blitzbolt
Rubik's Cube (3x3x3) solved in 20.87 seconds by me. ^_^

User Info: weeheehoo

weeheehoo
11 years ago#9
http://awbw.amarriner.com/febw
FIX'D
Clark:"Whoah, this nerd makes me seem like Rambo." Richie:"No."
Clark: "John Stamos?" Richie: "Warmer."

Chimamire_Ninja
11 years ago#10
I guess some of my crapness was rust since I hadn't played the game in a while but I'm getting better. What CO's that I use is somewhat irrelevant though since I plan on getting Days of Ruin once it's released and that was why I wanted to stop being terrible in the first place. Thanks for the tips.
The true Blind_assassin
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. Whats a good way to get better if you're crap?
  • Topic Archived