• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. what is the best combination of skills?

User Info: nado

nado
11 years ago#11
so is there a consensus
Total karma lost: ~346

User Info: Dragon Fogel

Dragon Fogel
11 years ago#12
Special case: If you're in Money Survival, increased income is useless, so go with cost down.

This makes Sasha probably the least useful CO for Money Survival, but that's another matter entirely.
Dragon Fogel, Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis.
Don't call me "Dragon".

User Info: ummduryeah

ummduryeah
11 years ago#13
no... even for colin gold rush is better. 10% always > 8%

User Info: thecooltodd

thecooltodd
11 years ago#14
And not to mention that it's easier for him to increase his funds. If he doesn't buy anything than Fire Sale is useless. And if he uses Gold Rush thats even more money, because he won't get any extra for not buying units (relative to Gold Rush vs Fire Sale).
"Welcome to GameFAQs. Enjoy your stay." ~Blitzbolt
Rubik's Cube (3x3x3) solved in 20.87 seconds by me. ^_^

User Info: darkfire9430

darkfire9430
11 years ago#15
Nope. Colin should take Fire Sale. It's time for math class, folks!

Say a player can only spend money he's raised through cities (which is true for any CO not named Sasha). How much purchasing power does 10 cities get him?

A normal CO has 10 cities * 1000 = 10,000 credits. That's easy.
A CO with Gold Rush has 10 cities * 1100 = 11,000 credits. That's easy too.
A CO with Fire Sale has 10,000 credits, but his discount gives him 8% off. He's thus paying 92% for each unit. This is equivalent to having an income increase of 100/92 credits. So that's 10 cities * 1000 * 100/92 = 10,870 credits.

Thus, regular COs are better off taking Gold Rush. What about Colin?

He's already paying 80% for his units, which is equivalent to 5/4 more credits. So normally, he has the equivalent of 10 cities * 1000 * 5/4 = 12,500 credits.
With Gold Rush, he has 10 cities * 1100 * 5/4 = 13,750 credits.
With Fire Sale, his discount goes up to 28% off, which means he's paying 72% for each unit. Again, that's equivalent to having 100/72 credits. So he gets 10 cities * 1000 * 100/72 = 13,889 credits. Thus, Fire Sale is better for him economically.

To get a better grasp of why you can't directly compare an increase in funds with a decrease in price, ask yourself this: would you rather have 100% more income, or have 100% off every item you buy?

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
11 years ago#16
Well, yeah. It makes sense.

The increase in buying power provided by gold rush is linear.
The increase in buying power provided by both the -5/8% cost skills is exponential.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
www.customwars.com - Custom Wars - Advance Wars - With Custom flavour!

User Info: ummduryeah

ummduryeah
11 years ago#17
nvm you're right, i was too lazy to do the math lol

User Info: thecooltodd

thecooltodd
11 years ago#18
I disagree. I started doing a whole mathematical calculation thing to prove that Gold Rush is better when Colin's COP is factored in, but there were too many variables lol
"Welcome to GameFAQs. Enjoy your stay." ~Blitzbolt
Rubik's Cube (3x3x3) solved in 20.87 seconds by me. ^_^

User Info: darkfire9430

darkfire9430
11 years ago#19
Colin's COP is irrelevant because it's a straight multiplication of effective purchasing power: you can buy 1.5 times as much stuff regardless of whether you have more income or a bigger discount. It factors out of the comparison. (OTOH, your COP meter does charge faster if you're using Gold Rush, since your units are more expensive.).

Colin's SCOP, on the other hand, would tilt the calculation toward Gold Rush. "Effective Purchasing Power" doesn't matter; all that matters is the raw credits you have accumulated, and thus Gold Rush would give you 1.1 times as much of at attack boost. However, I don't think anyone uses Power of Money until they're cleaning up anyway, so I don't think that should form the basis of your Force selection.

User Info: Shady_MrPockets

Shady_MrPockets
11 years ago#20
I always use star power, not sure what the general consensus is on that.
blue marth is zero calories. its diet marth ~Chevy_Jackson
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. what is the best combination of skills?
  • Topic Archived