• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. what is the best combination of skills?

User Info: nado

nado
11 years ago#1
for utter ownage in war room

anything is appreciated
Total karma lost: ~346

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
11 years ago#2
Usually skills that augument your chosen CO's strengths (usually adding to strengths beats covering weaknesses) or suit the map nicely. There aren't really ultimate skills.

That said:

Gold Rush > Fire Sale; both are good, but Gold Rush just does a bit more (especially on Colin and Sasha, whose COPs both depend on money held, and Fire Sale doesn't kick in until money is spent)

Defense+ skills > Offense+ skills

Luck = good

Pathfinder/Prairie Dog can be great depending on map

Capture+ skills are very powerful, especially on Sami
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia

User Info: Viro

Viro
11 years ago#3
Give the 2nd CO the +xatk/def to tag CO skills and mistwalker and only use them for the tag
We do need to ignore that troll chtma653. ~gubbyred
When you drop a stone, it falls. ~sister's physics book

User Info: DTaeKim

DTaeKim
11 years ago#4
Depends on the CO.
Dum spiro, spero.
As long as I breathe, I hope.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
11 years ago#5
Typically however, skills that improve existing abilities are better than ones that boost an unrelated area.

Eg, COs with Defence boosts - Defence skills are more effective.
COs with cost reductions, cost skills are more effective
COs with luck skills, Luck is more effective.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
www.customwars.com - Custom Wars - Advance Wars - With Custom flavour!

User Info: nado

nado
11 years ago#6
what is a good one for grit and kanbei for example?

not in a tag battle though
Total karma lost: ~346

User Info: silentbobus

silentbobus
11 years ago#7
As I said in my own post, everyone benefits from Fire Sale on a map where you can purchase units. If you're on a map that you normally can't, then Soul of Hachi is killer.

For Kanbei, getting both Snipe and Slam Guard is good.

For Grit, getting Sniper, Luck and Slam Guard is generally the way to go.

User Info: the_rowan

the_rowan
11 years ago#8
Like I said, though, Gold Rush is outright better than Fire Sale if you can only have one of the two. It's simply better in a mathematical sense; you save a greater portion of your income with Gold Rush than with Fire Sale.
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia

User Info: darkfire9430

darkfire9430
11 years ago#9
Hmm... that's right. Fire Sale would have to give a 9% discount for them to be equivalent. I believe force powers are additive and not multiplicative, so not even Kanbei would benefit. And Gold Rush would still better from a (S)COP perspective, since damage to your more "expensive" units would fill your meter faster. It would also be superior for those powers that rely on your bank roll (Market Crash and Power of Money), or those that fix the discount rate (Hachi's CO powers).

I suppose COs that can raise money in ways that don't involve properties might prefer Fire Sale. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Sasha and her SCOP (War Bonds). But who ever uses that?

User Info: silentbobus

silentbobus
11 years ago#10
Ah yes, it looks like you're right. Aside from Colin, Gold Rush is better for every CO. For Colin, Fire Sale is better, since his units are already so discounted anyway. This is of course assuming the FireSale discount is additive with Colin's default discount, so that he gets to buy units at 28% overall discount. For Hachi, both are about the same. Although I suppose Colin and Hachi would probably want both anyway (and maybe even the other unit discounter)
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. what is the best combination of skills?
  • Topic Archived