Would you play an official, true "Maplestory Classic"? Details inside.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. MapleStory
  3. Would you play an official, true "Maplestory Classic"? Details inside.

User Info: SalTheThief

SalTheThief
9 months ago#11
FolkenRawr posted...
SalTheThief posted...
I'd probably play it, but I have no reservations about how this game has aged. This game was popular back in the day because it was free and was a good chat messenger with a game attached. However, can't say I don't get nostalgic about training a level 4x warrior at block golems in Eos tower every now and then.

Ooooh I loved hunting/surfing for the block golem boss on my Ditsin

Edit: It was driving me crazy so I had to look it up - Rombot!

Exactly. Just a bunch of big, easy pushovers with a mini-boss to keep things fresh while you level up final attack. They even drop some great items every now and then.
Pokemon: Soul SIlver FC: Sal - 2923 1359 2326
My pokemon are PokeSAV'd but they are legal.

User Info: MaplesGrandGM

MaplesGrandGM
9 months ago#12
I would never go to pre-big bang. I think most of the changes up to around when I quit, let's just say I quit shortly after Mihile came out, I think around the first April after. Were positive.

I don't know the current state of the game too well though.

I agree that having a ton of useless content isn't too good though, but unless you're pulling in fresh players constantly, there's going to be useless content no matter what. Though, if I recall, they kept trying to add more and more content for lower/mid tier levels, which I always thought was a mistake. They should have built up more, rather than building out, if you get what I'm saying. Like build the game so people have a place to go and more to do in end game, rather than more to do in early/mid game.

User Info: Vespa_412

Vespa_412
9 months ago#13
I would be all for this, and I know MANY people who would love this. Pre-BB Maple had a lot of flaws but the base game was still way better than current Maple. A Maple Story classic with some minor balancing fixes would be amazing

In the meantime, to anyone who want's to try out a replica of old school GMS, check out this private server:
https://maplestory.global/

It's a server designed to copy everything about old GMS starting from version .01 and gradually updating content in the same order GMS did. It started a few months ago and Ossyria was just released a week ago. Decent amount of players and good community. Give it a try!
The below statement is true.
The above statement is false.

User Info: Twirlish

Twirlish
9 months ago#14
For sure. The private servers don't really seem to bring back the same old feel you got while playing 10 years ago. Maybe because most of the PS players are foreign, (example; MapleLegends being run by Dutch people) maybe because of the 2x rates, (lessened sense of high level accomplishment) or maybe just because they're all like s***ty half-fixed versions of what Maple was all that time ago.

I can't imagine playing again like that. It would be really fun. s*** like perm NX boxes could stay, but Cubes and Potential altogether would have to leave. Those are prime examples of content that made the game pay-to-win, and drastically changed it from what it was. After you get free boss carries through CRA and Hellux nowadays, you're basically done with the game after sacrificing this months grocery income for cubes. Also, they shouldn't allow teleport rocks to be purchased with mesos like they can be in reboot, even if it's convenient for the community. Part of the old maple was the exploration and the fun boat rides that it took to get everywhere.

I agree with the OP. Current Maple is hardly the social game it used to be. Leech isn't really a thing anymore, and it's much better to grind alone at ALL levels. Not to mention the 99% redundancy of Party Quests. Party grinding and party quests really made for great opportunities to meet new friends back in the day. I played, but I kind of missed out on that a bit because I was a dumb kid who was quite a bit younger than be average player.

FolkenRawr posted...

Everyone loves to reminisce about the community, when the reality is that 95% of the 'community' consisted of CCPLZ, godawful ks'ing, one maybe two trainable spots at any given time that were hoarded to hell and back, etc.

I agree with this as well, however, it's been like that, and it still is lmao. There's no difference, so that's not really a valid factor to deter people from playing a classic Maple. Except, in the current maple, there's no party questing to do instead in order to get around being KSed and repeatedly rejecting people and spamming "cc". That's not the case in the past maple, as party questing was a viable option to level up.

All this said, I doubt Nexon would be smart enough to do something like this for us, though I wish they would.

User Info: realfreako

realfreako
8 months ago#15
Maplestory is just dead. Someone put it very nicely, it was insanely popular at its time because it was a chat messenger with a game attached. It wasn't the game itself that made it popular, people just enjoyed talking/doing things with friends.

There's no way in hell a majority of the people would want to go through 4% exp/hour again. I'm sure some would, but only if it had a large community. And I reaaaaally doubt there will be a big community for old MS at this point. Initial launch sure, but I think everyone will ditch it once they realize nostalgia clouded their judgement.

I loved Maplestory and it was a huge part of my childhood. But it wasn't the game that made it good :( Nowadays, I rather get a group of friends on discord and play something fun.
PSN: FreakoFreako

User Info: Agenhym

Agenhym
8 months ago#16
Really what I would like is if the developers started fresh with their newer approach (faster levelling, heroic classes, plot lines etc) rather than building it into the old maplestory and creating a kind of weird frankenstein.

In hindsight, if they'd released everything from Aran onwards as Maplestory 2 and left the classic servers as they were, it would have avoided many of the problems that veteran players had with the big bang update.

I'd still play a classic server again provided the things you mentioned in your first post were true. Also, the game would have to support multiple instances of party quests at the same time - I'm sick of waiting in kerning city.
The Chilling Plot of Phantasy Star 2: https://youtu.be/jkfdoT0tZB0

User Info: CeeAnon

CeeAnon
8 months ago#17
Vespa_412 posted...
I would be all for this, and I know MANY people who would love this. Pre-BB Maple had a lot of flaws but the base game was still way better than current Maple. A Maple Story classic with some minor balancing fixes would be amazing

In the meantime, to anyone who want's to try out a replica of old school GMS, check out this private server:
https://maplestory.global/

It's a server designed to copy everything about old GMS starting from version .01 and gradually updating content in the same order GMS did. It started a few months ago and Ossyria was just released a week ago. Decent amount of players and good community. Give it a try!

The community in that server is just as cancerous as pre-bb maple, but the difference is these guys are adults instead of being kids lol.
  1. Boards
  2. MapleStory
  3. Would you play an official, true "Maplestory Classic"? Details inside.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived