• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Front Mission 5: Scars of the War
  3. FM5 Fan Translation Project

User Info: investor

investor
12 years ago#11
I'm glad to see that there will finally be a translation on Front Mission 5. I'm also glad the fans are doing it, and not Square Enix because I know it will be much, much better and more entertaining than anything Square Enix can do. They haven't attempted this massive challenge in translating FM5, and kudos to the few of you who are on this translating team to undertake such massive of a challenge.

User Info: slavikcc

slavikcc
12 years ago#12
Hey Legaia, I'll be willing to become an editor for the FM5 fan translation. Count me in.

User Info: LegaiaRules

LegaiaRules
12 years ago#13
Everyone's welcome as long as you have a copy of FM5 and you want to help make this thing happen.
Check out Front Mission 5 if you want the best Front Mission experience!

User Info: MrRubino

MrRubino
12 years ago#14
I'm not implying I'm qualified for the job, but you should probably "hire" some localizers as well. Hardcore fan-translators tend to sacrifice spirit for accuracy sometimes.
Not Seaside Tony.

User Info: DragonFlare

DragonFlare
12 years ago#15
Sweet! If you guys do this, you will be the hero of every NA Front Mission Fan.

User Info: _AnKer_

_AnKer_
12 years ago#16
words in cutscenes as text
http://ipicture.ru/uploads/071226/2uSMuU4F8U.jpg
http://ipicture.ru/uploads/071226/4XarsQUUYD.jpg

User Info: _AnKer_

_AnKer_
12 years ago#17
http://ipicture.ru/uploads/071226/EW6T3UOQRe.jpg

User Info: LegaiaRules

LegaiaRules
12 years ago#18
Ok, I'm definitely going to send a request form for a Front Mission wiki. It seems like the best solution and the best way to attract attention... hopefully without getting into legal trouble. I'm keeping it as open as possible so it won't be just for FM5's fan translation, but a central hub for all info on FM. Does anyone know if some people in other forums have expressed interest in creating an FM wiki? I'm sure that could take care of some recruiting issues as well for the translation team.

Updates:

Thanks to someone by the name of "1 1"(is this you _Anker_?) and an advanced copy of my first translation doc, we have all of the wanzer parts and part skills translated properly from .dat file 4. Once I'm done testing it out, I'll upload some pics to show what has been done. Right now, the next thing is to finish the skills section on file 4 then anything else that hasn't been touched. I have a good friend who's assisting with files and finding which ones have the in-game text. For the time being, we're only concentrating on tasks 1 and 2.

I'm currently working on my second translation guide doc, but anyone's free to take a look at my first one. Just send me an e-mail(see my contributor page) and title it "FM5 - topic". The first one's about wanzer parts and part skills, while the second one will deal with pilots and battle skills. Pilot profiles will have to reworded for sure so any help there will be much appreciated.

Current Team:

LegaiaRules(myself)
1 1
_AnKer_(are you also 1 1?)
WalterFeng
Andrew Kuang
vicious yenrai
slavikcc
w_z
Check out Front Mission 5 if you want the best Front Mission experience!

User Info: silver_fox_123

silver_fox_123
12 years ago#19
I can read Hiragana and Katakana though not necessarily understand it all without referring to a dictionary. I also comprehend 90% of Kanji. I have also studied Japanese grammar though it is far from perfect and my translations will almost always be literal rather than a more appropriate equivalent in Western culture.

If you like, I can contribute some of my free time towards this project.
"Can't win, don't try" ~ Bart Simpson

User Info: slavikcc

slavikcc
12 years ago#20
There shouldn't be an issue with making the literal translation into a more, readable English. After all, the Japanese -> English direct translation will always come off being too stiff or completely odd to read. That's where an editor comes into play. ;-)
  1. Boards
  2. Front Mission 5: Scars of the War
  3. FM5 Fan Translation Project
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A